| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Interesting perusal of eBay...
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 1:48 pm    

entering "pedal steel guitar" in Musical Instruments this afternoon yielded these results:

Sho~Bud: 15 for sale
GFI: 3 for sale
Fessenden: 2 for sale
ZB, JCH, Dekley, Mullen, Carter: 1 each

No listings for Emmons, Zumsteel, Marlen, MSA.

My take: Sho~Bud made just a whole lotta guitars back in the 70's that are coming up for sale.

Just sayin'...

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Steve Perry

Elizabethtown Ky, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 2:40 pm    

And most of those ShoBuds are Mavericks. I wonder how many of those they made?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 8:18 am    

Too many! Whoa!
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 8:56 am    

Erv,
I can appreciate the humorous aspect of your comment,,,, but just think how many steelers started out cuz they could afford a Maverick?

When Baldwin got involved ('66?), production skyrocketed. I've also heard some sales people got involved, and sold a lot of guitars to local music stores. I know that, here in the Cleveland area, back in the Sixties, Central Music carried Shobuds, and they weren't involved with Baldwin. But maybe Gretsch was involved by that time?
Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 9:42 am    

John, that's a fair point. My first steel was a Carter Starter. Everyone I speak to says they aren't a proper steel, it was all I could afford and my interest was nurtured in that first year by having it. There's no price you can put on those first moments behind your own first intrument. Very Happy

These beginner steels can always be passed on to help somebody into our little fraternity.

Will
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 9:50 am    

That's also why most music shops sell 'Cheap' guitars, it's 'Volume sales' over Classic's that very few can afford. Sear's/kay/club book guitars? Been there done that! They sale one $3000.00 les paul to a pro once per year, and they sale thirty $100.00 guitars per month to starter's and less fortunate players.

I miss my old Emmon's Student model... and my back never hurt till i got a D10 sho-bud. Very Happy

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2013 10:27 am    

I started on a used Maverick- I could afford it, and it was there... I played it onstage for at least a year, gained a lot of foundation knowledge and made a lot of money on that thing.
I'll never bad mouth the Maverick.
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 6:58 am    

It would be interesting to me to know approximately how many Sho Buds per year they really were producing in the late 60s to early 80s. It had to be a large number as Herb mentions. I would also like to know how many people were involved in the production at a given time.
Did it take five people or more like fifty?

Why was the demand so high at the time? Was it because the instrument was so popular, or was it because you could actually go in to a store and try out a steel guitar? Or put another way- which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Any thoughts from those of you who were there at the time?
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 9:21 am    

Although I couldn't imagine gigging with a Maverick now, it was all I could afford when I got started and served me well for a couple of years. Here's a clip from about nine months after I got that guitar. Sounds like a pedal steel to me. I think I was getting paid by the note back then...

https://soundcloud.com/dbmck-1/still-running

Dan
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 9:25 am    

I'm sure Herb can speak to this, but for me, I was hearing a new wave of country music coming from groups like the Byrds and of course, Dylan's song "Lay Lady Lay". Burned on Rock and never did Disco, the new wave of country seemed a good fit for me. I'm sure at the time, a lot of new steel players were converts from 6-string guitar. From my experience, guitar players were a dime a dozen while it was easy to get a gig playing steel.

ShoBud surely jumped on this trend and I suspect was the market leader at that time (Fender having missed the boat). There is a thread in the forum concerning serial numbers that might give a clue as to ShoBud's production numbers, although there is confusion as to whether the list includes Mavericks? There is also a Lloyd Green post that mentions estimated employee numbers.

Doug, hope you are swamped with new orders. Smile
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 11:38 am    

Thanks for the insight Jerry. And yes, I am certainly swamped with orders.....very thankfully. I hope you are in the same position.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 11:48 am    

Doug, Are you related to the "Deadly" Earnest who used to play in Northern Ohio?