| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Steels - best bang for yer buck
Ryan Dyck

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 1:32 pm    

Which manufacturer is giving the best bang for yer buck? I've looked at numerous websites and am having trouble taking it all in. Probably looking for a SD-10 5 & 5 with most of the extras.
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 1:55 pm    

I'll Bite and say Mullen.

I am a little biased though.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 2:12 pm    

Personal preferences aside, this will always be a difficult question, Ryan, especially today when the manufacturers are making some truly outstanding equipment.
There's build quality, ergonomic feel, tone, appearance, and available service in spades from all of the current builders, and personal requirements somewhat negate the varying cost factors, if that's what you mean by "bang for the buck".

For instance, some laquer guitars are beautifully finished and extremely lightweight, other brands equally beautiful are quite heavy. Some brands come stock with adjustable endplate splits, others it's a custom order. With some 5 knees are standard, with some 4, and so on. Really depends on what you personally need unless you're looking for the cheapest good sounding guitar you can get, and several builders seem to be duking it out there!
Ryan Dyck

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 2:33 pm     price

I wonder if someone knows how identical, or comparable, options compare price wise for manufacturers (ie high-low: Franklin, whoever etc.)
Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 3:16 pm    

Ryan, just go to the Emmons, Williams, Mullen, MSA, etc. websites and all that info is there. Prices, weights, options, you just have to go dig. Not trying to sound short, but I doubt people here are going to post redundant info that's out there already.
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 3:24 pm    

Check out Rittenberry.
Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 3:50 pm    

I think GFI is an amazing value. I enjoy mine a great deal. It is very accurate with its tuning and is light weight. That was important to me once I started gigging. My Sho Bud has better tone, but it weighs a ton and require more tuning adjustments more often.
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 4:44 pm    

So many criteria to consider . In my experience, 2nd hand MSA's are the most affordable, and offer the most for the price- rock solid mechanics, stable tuning, available parts. I also have a second hand GFI that survived nearly two years on the road, gave me no problems, at a nearly 1:3 weight ratio to the MSA. Now I play a recent Emmons- got a good deal, but still big boy money- however it feels and sounds 'right' to me. Which brings me to the oft-repeated conclusion here on the forum- play as many different brands as you can, and let that be your guide (measured by your economic reality of course). And try to get something already in Canada- save a few hundred $$$.
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 4:46 pm    

...and now I read 'New Steels' in the header...get with Al Brisco-
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 5:21 pm    

it's getting harder and harder to answer that question. go to the 'links' at the top of the page. read everything
about every steel guitar 'manufacturer' listed. then consider all the possible great 'used' offerings that are out there. there's 'great ' stuff from $1000-$4000...

look at any steel that plays anywhere near you.

then fine tune your desire to price/weight/features/looks/tone and try to narrow down your search. the possible options back in the seventies were 5-10....now they're 20-30..!!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 5:57 pm    

Best bang for the buck in an SD? Probably Fred or GFI. Or don't overlook Simmons, there's something about that pull-release tone.
But just about all are well made
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 7:07 pm    

The 'Best' is always what i own Very Happy It's light, it's fast, it's handsome, it has killer instinct's, it goes Bang when it needs to, and it can cry in the Still of the night...It's a Mullen Discovery.

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2013 8:14 pm    

As if the members of this forum could ever reach consensus on this topic. Comes down to personal opinion. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 12:07 am     psg

The ETS guitars are a good deal. Lightweight, aluminum body, maple neck, 3+4 or 3+5, plus case. 42lbs. in the case. Beautiful colors but of course, with the death of Larry Agan, I hadn't spoken with anyone else about the ETS guitars, so I don't know what future plans are with Bud Carter, at this time. I chose between the ETS and the Mullen Discovery. I'll be purchasing the Discovery later, as I'm getting my number of guitars up to three or four, like I used to do.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 2:38 am    

Best Bang 4 $ imo : Mullen Discovery - Justice ProLite - ZumSteel Encore
some come w: a pad or have it as an add on option
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 4:33 am    

All of the modern guitars are good. There is no definitive best one, just compare each web site as a previous poster suggested. You won't get an agreed majority consensus here. Laughing
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 8:50 am    

as to the latest trend toward lite, flight, econo steels.....evidently these are sufficient for those who are flying around to gigs making 'hundreds' of dollars...and getting to sit all alone on the american idol stage 'fingersynching' the tune while unplugged on a fairly unattractive single neck instrument. more power to the working musician. but nothing inspires the honky tonk fever more than a solid double neck inlaid pro model...even an old beat one...

picture john or weldon or tom or jd, wearing cool stage boots and jackets, as opposed to some generic casually nondescript player who possibly puts a suit on during the week for his sales job....i know who i would rather be.
style is still king...attitude still flavors the real music.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 10:02 am    

For new steels I would look at Fessenden also. Pro quality steels priced very well.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 10:09 am    

agreed! and as for good quality used steels at half the price, there have been killer deals lately on fessenden, carter, msa and derby. ...and others i am sure.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 10:11 am    

keep in mind that any new steel you buy is a used steel the next day!
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 12:33 pm    

Let me say Mullen builds great guitars plus they've been around for a long time and a long time to come.
Jeff Pickering

Wichita, Kansas
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 12:40 pm    

I really love my Williams
Boss GX700
1969 Fender Twin Reverb w/JBL's
J. R. McClung

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 1:23 pm    

Be sure to look here:

http://www.fredjusticemusic.com/id19.html

Having a tough time parting with my THOMAS, but if I ever do, I'll sure give Fred a call.

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 4:28 pm     Brands of steels

I have a Emmons D2-10 i got right from the factory in 1980, love it and wouldn't take nothing for it...but after cancer surgery and a knee replacement I have got a GFI single neck ultra and love it to! Much less to carry, but have to do some tweaking with amp and get some real good tones out of. I also use a hilton volume pedal and will never go back to a pot pedal. There are several good steels out there, just look all of them over and try them out, the right one will feel perfect to you.
Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 4:28 pm     Brands of steels

Emmons is still my favorite though. Smile

Last edited by Jeff Campbell on 22 Mar 2013 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total