| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  california custom product, aluminum oxide and purple stuff
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2013 12:39 pm    

Hi Everybody,
I just got done putting two applications of this
product on my 74 MSA D-10 classic. This stuff aint great as they claim. Granted my steel was in pretty rough shape especially the legs. After a lot of hard rubbing on those end plates and every thing else theres hardly any shine at all. You'ed
probably have to do about three more applications
to notice any real differance. I'd do a before and after picture but I'm to damn tired. Save your money
It's to overpriced. TENNESSEE LEE.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2013 2:37 pm    

Doesn't sound like you followed the directions, or your steel was in such bad condition that it needed to be buffed out. The products are great. Did you use the Deoxidizer? Others have had very good results using these products.
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2013 3:46 pm     california custom product, aluminum oxide and purple stuff

Hi John,
I followed the directions alright, pretty simple.
I dont know what you'ed consider bad as far as
the condition of the guitar. You can see what it looked like before I used this stuff. On a previous post, Maybe back to page 4. MSA D-10 CLASSIC Repositioned left knee levers to the left. There are pictures of the guitar.
I think buffing it out would be a better solution T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 17 Mar 2013 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2013 3:50 pm    

Have you got a link to that thread?
JB
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2013 3:54 pm    

I think this is the thread.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=241324
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2013 3:55 pm     california custom product, aluminum oxide and purple stuff

John, It's back on page 4. TL
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2013 12:31 pm    

Lee,
Here's a couple pics of a leg from a Deluxe 8. It was really grungy and pitted. Wiped on the de-oxy, let it dry. Then wiped on the Purple Polish, and let it dry. Wiped it off. Lots off black stuff, but very little rubbing.

Here's some tuners I'm cleaning with the Purp and an old toothbrush;

Of course, those are all chromed steel parts, not aluminum.

Here's an old Bud rack, seriously oxidized, and badly scratched up. I can't get a good pic to show how shiny it is, as I just get glare. But you can see the difference in the two sides. Side on right is seriously shiny, with only one coat of de-oxy and Purp.

Been fightin' my computer all day. I'm off to the other thread to check out your guitar.
JB
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2013 12:37 pm    

I'm back! Nice job on a nice guitar. Try the CC stuff again. It really should shine up nicely, as the endplate looks to be in very good condition except for the grey oxidation.
As for the CC stuff being expensive, there's enough in a bottle to do a whole tractor trailer rig. That's a lot of steel guitar polishing!
JB
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2013 2:28 pm     california custom product, aluminum oxide and purple stuff

John, Four aplications later. End plates are shaping up, The legs still look rough. Stuff would not take the mild piting off the legs. It doesn't say anything about letting step one dry completely. You can put the purple stuff on whether its wet or dry. I've tried It both ways. No difference. I've used a Quarter of a bottle already of the purple stuff. Thanks for the complement on the guitar. TL
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2013 10:49 am     california custom product, aluminum oxide and purple stuff

Six applications, Thats it I'm DONE! Prognosis,End plates dont look bad. Legs still have piting, but show some signs of lustre. TL
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2013 11:37 am    

Lee,
Did you use the De-oxidizer? I've had my bottles for 4/5 years, done a lot of polishing, and have only used a quarter of the Purp. The de-oxy is the key. It does a great job getting rid of pits in chrome. The leg in my post above was full of small pits.
Peter Huggins

Van Nuys, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2013 11:41 am    

John, it looks like you are removing the gold plating from those Kluson tuners. I hope not!

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2013 12:20 pm    

That's not gold! I had a stove fire a few years ago. (Ambien related) The Rocket was hanging on the wall. That's just smoke damage and nicotine! Had to trash all my carpeting, wallpaper, etc, and repaint the whole downstairs. Here's what it looked like;

Peter Huggins

Van Nuys, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2013 11:57 am    

John, Sorry to hear about your fire. But happy that the tuners were not gold plated (the Kluson gold three-on-a-strip tuners only show up on certain fancy Valco-made Supros and Silvertones).