| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steelin' Home
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2013 4:14 pm    

Here's Noel Boggs Playing "Steelin' Home" I Believe Noel Wrote This Tune. ?

Bobby Bruce On Fiddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW7xPehTKD8
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2013 6:38 pm    

I am so amazed at the quality of players those guys were years ago. With no effects they were fantastic musicians. Thanks for posting the link.
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2013 8:52 pm    

Hi paul,

I'm Thinking This Recording Was Made In The Late 1940s or In The 1950s. Cool

Roger
Rick Ulrich

Gilbert, Arizona
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2013 9:57 pm    

Noel Boggs was the individual responsible for me starting to play the steel guitar. I was so very fortunate to live in the same elementary school district where his kids went to school. This was during the time period that Noel was playing with Spade Cooley at the Santa Monica Ballroom. Noel would volunteer his time to come to the school and play in the auditoreum for the Halloween Carnival with all proceeds going to the Parent Teachers Association. I recall him doing that at least twice. He would bring one or two others from the Spade Cooley band. They always appeared in the standard Spade Cooley band uniform, in other words very nicely dressed. As a kid I didn't realize that I lived in a hotbed of country music musicians and entertainers. Ole Rasmussen lived a block over from me for a short time and his son was in my class. I exchanged emails with Speedy West and he told me that he lived just a short distance from Noel Boggs when Speedy was just getting a start in the business. Speedy said that he couldn't even afford a phone, but Noel would drive over to his house to offer him a job when Noel was overbooked. Speedy said he sure appreciated Noel for helping him get a start. Several years later I became acquainted with Tex "Jenks" Carmen who lived close by. My dad would invite him over for a Sunday barbecue and ask him to bring his guitar. He would only play a song for us if I played one for him first. That was rather intimidating. My guitar at the time was an acoustic with a nut under the strings just like his, only mine was a cheaper version than his. I knew I was pretty lucky at the time, but now I fully realize how lucky I was.