| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cleaning old potentiometers
Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 12:43 pm    

I have an old Ibanez Musician guitar which features an on board preamp with active electronics. First the preamp gain fizzled out and now the passive master volume. They crackle but I rarely get any output and I think this is dirt in the pots. Do you share this opinon?

I'd like to revive this guitar with a view to selling it. Buyers like things to be original and I've heard that there is a spray that clear the dirt in the pots.

Any experience shared, tips and product recommendations are welcomed.

\ paul

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 2:40 pm    

Paul, electronics cleaner/spray can help... but pots are a wear item, they wear out. The best spray is Pro-Gold, by Caig Labs... it's more expensive than replacment pots, if you're soldering them yourself... it's about $12 a can. Of course the can will last a long, long time... but it might not fix the problem if the pots truly are worn out.

You have to spray the pots from behind, into the hole in the cover... it doesn't work through the shaft end. Work the pot back and forth after spraying, lock to lock, several times.

Concord, California
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 7:30 pm    

If the pots are attached to the circuit board it can make it a lot harder to clean or replace them. (The ones that give me problems are the sealed ones which are shaped like a cube. I know I could take them apart by removing the 4 tiny screws in the corners but putting it back together so it works is a different matter.)

In addition to DeOxit Gold also Caig makes DeOxit D5 with the red label. I use D5 for old pots which need a lot of cleaning, and then follow that with the Gold, which is more of a contact conditioner than a cleaner. I also use the Gold on new pots which IMO makes them work smoother and last longer.

While on the topic of pots vintage lap steels often have a pot that doesn't turn very smoothly- try adding a drop of lubricant into the bushing (the threaded part around the shaft.) Sometimes that takes care of the problem so there is no need to clean and condition the resistive path and wiper of the pot.

Steve Ahola

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 10:39 pm    

OK so before any investment, I need to first ascertain that the pots can be cleaned.
I should look for a hole on the body of the pot (thanks 'cos I would have sprayed into the shaft!)
If I see a hole and there is no indication that these are sealed pots then I can proceed.

Thanks for the quick response!

\ paul

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 4:10 pm    

Perhaps a little off topic but....There's a web article I can't find anymore about setting up a conventional volume pedal potentiometer like the allen bradeley types. You have to disassemble it which isn't for the faint of heart. It involves bending some tabs out and removing the element. The point is they come with too much contact pressure out of the box. This friction wears the element prematurely and carbon dust starts to build up.
One grabs the disc spring thingy and gives it a bit of a yank so it doesn't apply as much force after you reassemble.
I did this about four years ago with mine and have got at least three times the life out of it so far compared to my previous history with carbon element pots.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2013 11:22 am    

In Tom Bradshaw's old magazine, Fo'Bro Doug Beaumier had an article entitled "easing an Allen-Bradley Pot." If Mr Google can't find it, perhaps he has it in digital form

PS: if you can find it, you have better Google-fu than I. I just tried
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2013 12:24 pm    

Hi Lane, that couldn't have been my article in SGW magazine. I just did instructional articles... but thanks for the mention. Cool
Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2013 12:44 pm    

I remember that article too, but not the author or source. I did that procedure on some of my pedal pots back then - pop off the back and use needlenose pliers to reduce the pressure of the wiper on the element.
There was also an interesting article on the web somewhere called The Secret Life of Pots that had some interesting tips on restoring pots. Don't know if it is still out there but if so it should be easy to google.
Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2013 12:46 pm    

I remember that article too, but not the author or source. I did that procedure on some of my pedal pots back then - pop off the back and use needlenose pliers to reduce the pressure of the wiper on the element.
There was also an interesting article on the web somewhere called The Secret Life of Pots that had some interesting tips on restoring pots. Don't know if it is still out there but if so it should be easy to google.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2013 1:03 pm    

That was an article in issue #1 by Greg Lasser. I can scan if you need.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2013 2:10 pm    

Oops. Not bad for a mag I've not seen since 1984.