| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Session I did I wish I could forget! now with A side added
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2013 5:53 pm    

I had forgotten this one til recently when an old bass playing friend posted this link on Facebook. Warning: once you hear it you can never un-hear it!
https://soundcloud.com/count-yammonton/newport-blues

Last edited by Gary Cosden on 27 Jan 2013 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 5:38 am    

As long as you had fun doing it, you shouldn't have any regrets.
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 6:01 am    

True enough. I think I played OK and sound like one of the few sober players in this session. I can't really complain as I did get paid for this unlike anything else I've done in the last few years!
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 5:00 pm    

Hey Gary,

I haven't listened to it yet, but with the name of the tune "Newport Blues" it sounds as if it's on a 45 R.P.M. record I have, that Cecil West recorded with you doing the steel work?

First time I'd ever heard of you. Cecil was telling me about it.

Hey! If I'm right (I can't get Sound Cloud to play on this computer) you have nothing to be ashamed of, man, that was one hell of a long while back in time. You too, must be getting old... Very Happy

Cecil was one of the best fiddle players around if you could keep him sober. And I'm saying this because he would be the first to tell anyone, about his drinking problems. He worked for me for quite a long time, but I wouldn't let him have a sip until after the gigs. I miss him though, he was a lot of fun when he was right.

Glad you're still around.

Have a great New Year.............. Don
Aaron Goldstein

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 5:26 pm    

You're right, the fiddles sound like they could use a tune, and the lead guitar is a bit choppy, but hey I think the steel playing is great! Well done.
'76 Sho-Bud LDG
Traynor YGM3s w EPS15s
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 7:02 pm    

Aaron - thanks for the kind words.
Don, I honestly don't remember if Cecil was drinking or not. I had forgotten about it altogether until John Martin posted this link. John and I worked some with guitar player Gary West back then and I guess he's related to Cecil. Anyway I'm 60 now and believe it or not I'm doing a band with my son Michael. Not making money at it but I am enjoying myself! This must be the same 45 you have. It was the "B" side.
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2013 8:12 pm    

Gary, I'd forgotten about it too, until I read that post.

Yes! Gary is Cecil's son. He tried playing country with us, and just couldn't get onto it (at that time) He, I've heard was a right decent Rock player though?

My gosh, the name you mentioned sure did bring back some memories. Rick Reymond, I don't know what ever happened to him? He was a decent drummer. I worked with him quite a few times when I was with Joyce Tallis, and a few others.

I'll be 71 real shortly. Time flys the older we get the faster it goes, but you've got a long ways to go.

You know, the playing you're doing now, can be a whole lot of fun, and I'm glad to hear you're still going strong. I can't do much of anything anymore due to health issues, but it's now fun instead of work.

Cecil spoke highly of you! And yes, that (I think) is the B side. On the A side, I'm trying to think of the tune Cecil (I believe?) was singing. My old brain needs to think on it for a while and I'll come up with the name of the tune he did. And I think it might have been one he wrote, but I'm not betting on that, as I'm wrong more times than I'm right. Smile

Keep up the good work Gary, I know it's got to be a lot of fun working with your son. That's good to hear!

Gosh, those names all brought back some great memories. Tommy Huff, Don Bare (spelling?) from Bare Delaware, could really slap the old standup bass. Did you ever work with them at "Glory Land Park"? I think Tommy and Cecil, were both owners of it for quite a while.

When you get older and look back on things, there sure is lots of great memories.

Glad you made that post! I went on the other computer and gave a listen. Some real nice work Gary!

Don
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 9:46 am    

I don't really know what the deal was between Cecil and Gary since I remember Gary as a fine country lead guitar player. Perhaps Cecil and Gary didn't see eye to eye on what Country music is (was!)? Ric Rehman is still around and playing drums and the other names you mention are ringing some bells....My memory of those years seems to be fading!
Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 2:15 pm    

Quote:
I think I played OK and sound like one of the few sober players in this session. I can't really complain as I did get paid for this unlike anything else I've done in the last few years!

And I think you earned your pay that day...seriously nice playing on your part. I think the rhythm section was ok as well. Interesting that when I listened to the recording, it sounded like the engineer turned the pan knob to your steel part all the way to one side, whereas the other lead instruments went more up the middle. Well, at least you realize that you played well even if you can't forget the session otherwise.

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 3:12 pm    

Thanks Mike. The rhythm section was John Martin and Ric Rehman who I was playing with at the time in a band called The Honk Brothers. I'm going to try and come up with a few recordings from that band and post them here.
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 5:42 pm    

Don - here is a really bad recording from a practice at Gary West's house when he was playing in the Honk Brothers:
https://soundcloud.com/count-yammonton/waymores-blues
Here's one from The Honk Brothers at the Chicken Coop. You probably recognize the drummer and singer as Ric Rehman:
https://soundcloud.com/count-yammonton/mama-hated-diesels

Again a pretty poor recording but I hope you enjoy it.
John Martin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 11:06 am    

One thing I liked about Newport Blues is that whenever Gary plays a solo, there's a subtle shift in gears and all of a sudden it's the Honk Brothers. lol
John Martin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 11:22 am    

Don, I think I may have met you and heard you play years ago, not sure where it was, maybe the Cedarwood? I do remember hearing your name mentioned by Ric Rehman quite a few times. Did you ever play in Joyce Tallis' band at the same time as Ric? The only band lineup that I can remember was Joyce, Lou, Ric, and the guitar player was Bobby West. Anyway, good to see another of us geezers are still around! LOL
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 1:22 pm    

Thanks to John Martin here's the "A" side of the session in my original post. This one is looser than loose but I think it's a pretty decent tune.
https://soundcloud.com/count-yammonton/alimony-bound