| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hey everyone (newbie content)
Calvin Monaghan

Prince Edward Island, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 10:37 pm    

Hi guys and girls. I`m new here and evidently new to steel guitar as well.

I have been thinking about picking up pedal steel for a few years now and have finally decided to take the plunge. However, I have been advised that it may be wise to get a lap steel first to see how I do and then move up - and I have to say my wallet agrees with that. I`m looking for suggestions of what I should get. I`ve looked at Gretch, Gold Tone and even a SX one but I feel as there may be something else out there I don`t know about that someone may be able to shed some light on. My budget is anywhere between 0 and 500 dollars. I would really appreciate the help and I look forward to posting here with y'all in the future.

- Calvin
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 11:00 pm     Re: Hey everyone (newbie content)

Calvin Monaghan wrote:
Hi guys and girls. I`m new here and evidently new to steel guitar as well.

I have been thinking about picking up pedal steel for a few years now and have finally decided to take the plunge. However, I have been advised that it may be wise to get a lap steel first to see how I do and then move up

- Calvin

You have the direction wrong Calvin. Pedal Steel in moving down.

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 11:21 pm    

Get yourself an extension nut (AllParts makes one) and a Stevens bar... total expense less than $30. Take a beater acoustic or electric and make a lap out of it... tune it to an open D or E or A or G chord... and start figgering it out. You can string it up for C6 later on... some folks use picks, some don't (I don't)... some use the thumbpick only, some use a regular plectrum and two fingers... Jr. Brown uses a regular pick and one fingerpick on the middle. Lay the thing down and just start playing! Worry about proper technique after you've decided to devote the time... you gotta catch the bug.

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 7:44 am    

Welcome, Calvin. There are plenty of good vintage lap steels out there within your budget as well. Remember you usually get what you pay for. Inexpensive lap steels may have problems (most usually with the tuners, for some reason).
I think the Rondo SX series are a very good value. The Goldtone LS-6 is a great little instrument, but slightly over your $500 limit.
If you are looking to progress to a pedal steel, you might want to consider an eight string model. Tune it to an E based tuning to become familiar with the same strings as you'd be using in an E9th tuned pedal steel.

Here's one example:
1. G#
2. E
3. C#
4. B
5. G#
6. E
7. D
8. B
Calvin Monaghan

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 11:20 am    

Stephen, I never even thought of that and that really seems like a good idea to me so I'm gonna go ahead and order that nut extender and see where things end up. Brad, I believe that may also be a good idea. I will likely try to pick up a 8 string when the time comes. I'm gonna keep an eye out on eBay, I see a few Gibson and Rickenbacker 6 strings that are actually pretty decently priced. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to guitars, basses and amps but this stuff is all 100% new to me so it's great to be given a little direction and I certainly appreciate it.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 11:35 am    

" I'm a huge nerd when it comes to guitars, basses and amps but this stuff is all 100% new to me so it's great to be given a little direction and I certainly appreciate it."

ah, oh.

I predict your bank account is going to take a hit over the next year. Smile
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 2:29 pm    

Calvin,
I would highly recommend that you check out Bob Allen of Allen Melbert Steel Guitars. He makes all custom made lap steels, 6 and 8 string models, in the price range of about $450 to $500. They are all made of solid woods such as maple, oak, hickory, cherry etc. the guitars are all made by Bob at his location in Livingston, Tn. He is a nice guy to deal with and always keeps you informed of the progress he is making building your instrument. It normally takes about six to eight weeks for delivery which is not a lot for a custom made instrument.
Bob's guitars are high quality instruments at a fraction of the price you would have to pay for most custom work.

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 5:27 pm    

Calvin
Check out Tremblay Lap and Console Steels.
http://www.tremblayguitars.com/
I think he sells on eBay every once in awhile as well as through his website. Prices are well within your price range. Best bang for the buck (IMHO) these days and made right here in North America. (Quebec Canada) Talk to Hugo Tremblay. You won't be disappointed.
Gary
Calvin Monaghan

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 9:50 pm    

Both Bob Allen's and Hugo Tremblay's stuff looks great. I especially like that Tremblay is in Canada.

I grabbed a slide bar that appears similar to the one that Stephen recommended as well as some finger picks tonight at a local shop and ordered a nut extender from AllParts. Until that shows up at my door I suppose I will do some reading about all of this.

Thanks again for the help everyone