| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Happy Goodmans, Steel Player?
Randy Waldo

Memphis,TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 7:28 am    

First time to start a thread like this, but here goes.

I was actually looking for something else and stumbled upon this video. I grew up on the Happy Goodmans, so this naturally caught my eye. Can anyone identify the steel player in the video? I am embarrassed to say right at the moment, I'm not real sure who it is. I know Rabbit Easter played with them, but I'm not sure who this is. He was sitting in a prime spot for good coverage on camera. Also what guitar is he playing. I've seen the logo before, but again my mind has gone blank. The video is so blurred from it age that you can't read the decal on the front. If sitting in a folding chair will make play like that, I'm rethinking this whole stool thing. LOL

Thanks in advance. Something we'll all sleep better tonight knowing. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gJTEsKiTvA&feature=youtu.be
Russell Nugent

LA (lower Alabama)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 7:35 am    

Looks like Jack Smith.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 7:36 am    

It's probably a ZB steel like Tom Brumley played. The steel player besides Steve "Rabbit" Easter was Benny Johnson, so it's probably Benny
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Randy Waldo

Memphis,TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 8:40 am    

Thanks guys.

ZB Custom came to my mind but wasn't sure. Not that it matters, other than for curiosity's sake. Love the hair do by the way. Kinda takes me back to the days with with a blow dryer and lot's of hairspray. LOL
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 5:02 pm    

Hi Randy;
I think it was Jack Smith also.
He is a member here on the Steel Forum & now lives in Phoenix Az. Here is a link to a thread where he talks to some of the members here about his playing.
He has worked with several great groups + the great Connie Smith .. Ron

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=231988&highlight=jack+smith

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 5:21 pm    

That is definitely Jack Smith. Want to hear some good steel playing? Get the Happy Goodmans "Wanted Live" album and listen to a 16 year old Jack Smith. It will amaze you how great he sounded.
Randy Waldo

Memphis,TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 5:31 pm    

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the update. You mentioned about him ploying with other artists or groups, I was watching an old Dixie Echos clip and they had the same band backing them up as well.

Anyways thanks for the information. That something you don't see offer, I don't think, where the steel so prominit location. Good blocking technic as well.

Anyways, enough about memory lane. Lol.

Thanks.
Randy.
Randy Waldo

Memphis,TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 5:37 pm    

Thanks for the reminder about their Wanted Live
Project. Been a while back when Ol Shep was still a pup, I can remember us having the 8 track tape version of that. Wore it out. Lol

Thanks,
Randy.
Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 7:04 pm     Steel player with Goodman Family

Others have already stated, but I wish to confirm that the steel player is most definitely Jack Smith. I live in Madisonville, Kentucky, and the Goodman Family made their home here for many years back during their "hey-days". We were certainly sorry to see them leave our small town, because their fame helped to put us "on the map" so to speak. I'm sure there was a great deal of revenue which came into our town as well during their residence here. I personally knew Jack Smith back in the '70s and not only was he a fantastic steel guitar player, he was a very fine gentlemen as well. I don't think the Goodmans could have found a better artist or person at the time! Although the Goodmans were always known to have some of the finest musicians in their stable throughout their career; there was never a more talented steel guitar player that Jack Smith! Great Guy! I wish I could run into him again some day. Roger Smile
Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 7:37 pm    

Band Members (By Category)
Howard Goodman 1963-1971 (pianist, vocalist)
Eddie Crook 1971–1975, 1978-1982 (pianist)
Johnny Minick 1975-1977 (pianist)
Aaron Wilburn 1972-1974 (rhythm guitar, soloist)
Jack Smith 1971-1974 (steel guitar)
Gary Dee 1975-1976 (steel guitar)
Steve "Rabbit" Easter 1977–1979, 1981-1982 (steel guitar,banjo,and dobro)
Benny Johnson 1980 (steel guitar)
Ricky Goodman 1970s-1980 (drummer)
Bruce Droit 1980-1982 (drummer)
Dwayne Friend 1965 (guitarist)
Ernie Maxwell 1966-1970 (guitarist)
Jim "Duke" Dumas 1972-1974 (guitarist)
Jeff Chambers 1975-1977 (guitarist)
Bobby Goodman 1965-1971 (bass guitar, soloist)
Larry Strzelecki 1972-1977 (bass guitar)
Joey Maxwell 1977-1978 (bass guitar)
Keith Moore 1978 (bass guitar)
Jeff Ross 1980 (bass guitar)
James Gordon Freeze 1980-1982 (bass guitar)
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2013 4:15 am    

Roger said"there was never a more talented steel guitar player than Jack Smith!"

After listening to him for 40+ years...I must agree.
Randy Waldo

Memphis,TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2013 4:17 am    

All I can say is wow!!!

Never under estimate the power of this forum. It's so cool to be able to put faces and names with people I grew up listening to.

I have to confess that I was still wet behind the ears during all this time. I can remember listening to these guys, especially the steel, thinking man I wish I could play like that. I can remember sitting down with the reel to reel recorder playing at half speed, with my Sho Bud Pro 1 with 3 & 2, spending hours on hours studying these guys trying to learn new licks and runs.

I know there have been a lot of incredible projects and oodles of material on the country side, but as far as southern gospel or country gospel, those who have never experienced hearing and studying these guys that played on these sessions, missed out on whole lot of incredible material. I have to confess growing up, that's all we were allowed to listen to as kids. I now sit back and think about what I would have missed out on.

Ok enough reminiscing. LOL

I will say I am honored to be a part of such a powerful group of guys here. Thanks for all your input. If Mr Jack Smith should read this, as with any other payers who had a part in helping pave the way for us younger guys. I want to say thank you. I may never get to meet you in person, but I still feel a kindred spirit.

One other gentleman that I would like to pay a quick tribute to and that is Papa John Hughey. He is the one that I spent most of my hours listening to. There is a group that some of you may have heard of called the Singing Holleys. John Played on every session this group ever recorded, except for one which was there first project they ever recorded. I will try to find some of there material and post on YouTube and give you guys the links. I feel like I owe that much to you guys to share what was some of the best steel playing ever.

Ok I promise I will hush and give you guys a chance to comment now. LOL Seriously though, thanks for your knowledge and input.
Randy Waldo

Memphis,TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2013 4:24 am    

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your comments.

You are one of the guys that I'd like to say thank you to as well. I don't know if you'll ever truly know the influence that you have had on other steel player, me included.

Anyways, I just want to say thanks. I'm in an out of Nashville occasionally, maybe one of these days we can cross paths.

Randy
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2013 4:51 pm    

Thank you,Randy...that's very kind of you!

When I saw Jack playing with the Happy Goodman family on television,I knew that was what I wanted to do someday...still trying to play as good as Jack!
Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 6:44 am    

Hi guys. Thanks for the kind words. Man, I must be getting old if Brett don't know me. I thought he knew everybody lol. I feel very fortunite to be a part of an industry where work done when I was 16 is available now 40 years later for my family to see. This particular song was shot on the set of The Gospel Jubilee. This was a very popular Sunday morning show at that time. I joined the Goodmans in the summer of '69 shortly before my 16th birthday, replacing Ernie Maxwell, and stayed with them until mid '74. After the Goodmans I spent time with Bill Anderson, Ronnie Milsap, Johnny Paycheck, Gene Watson and the most amazing Connie Smith. Now I live in Phoenix, with my wonderful wife and two granddaughters, and continue to do, with the help of protools, probably more sessions than I did while living in Nashville. Again, thanks for the "love" and the walk down memory lane
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 7:16 am    

Jack Smith wrote:
Hi guys. Thanks for the kind words. Man, I must be getting old if Brett don't know me. I thought he knew everybody lol. I feel very fortunite to be a part of an industry where work done when I was 16 is available now 40 years later for my family to see. This particular song was shot on the set of The Gospel Jubilee. This was a very popular Sunday morning show at that time. I joined the Goodmans in the summer of '69 shortly before my 16th birthday, replacing Ernie Maxwell, and stayed with them until mid '74. After the Goodmans I spent time with Bill Anderson, Ronnie Milsap, Johnny Paycheck, Gene Watson and the most amazing Connie Smith. Now I live in Phoenix, with my wonderful wife and two granddaughters, and continue to do, with the help of protools, probably more sessions than I did while living in Nashville. Again, thanks for the "love" and the walk down memory lane

Hey Jack, I had no idea it was you-I just noticed the guitar. You did a great job on steel in the video!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 8:11 am    

computer issues

Last edited by Jack Smith on 17 Jan 2013 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 8:12 am    

Honestly, Brett, I was just being funny. I admire your apearant love for the steel guitar community. I've noticed, over the years, that when anyone has a question about someone or something you seem to have the answer. You're a good man and a credit to this forum. Sincerely, Jack
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 8:29 am    

Hey Jack !! Man is it ever good to see you here !! Last time we met was years ago at Whiskey River, Macon GA and you were with Johnny Paycheck...did you ever get that C6th neck reworked ?? Very Happy Very Happy

Regards, Paul
Jack Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 9:01 am    

Paul, I did get it reworked.... I put a pad in it's place. I've never been much of a C6th player. I'm not sure what guitar I was playing then of course I was with Paycheck so remembering anything is a chore, lol. I do remember Whisky River and what a blast to play in that band!!! Were the Justice brothers playing twin fiddles there? Man do I have stories about my time with Paycheck and they are all about a wonderful person/musician (Paycheck) who's desire to make great music was massive and he did it at all costs. Thanks for remembering. Jack
Russell Nugent

LA (lower Alabama)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 9:06 am    

More Jack Smith from a reunion show a few years ago. Watch from about 1:50 to 4:00. Great playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM1uIKSJHEk
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 10:29 am    

Jack: Lloyd Green called me once when I lived near St Louis...asked if I had an amp he could use at Keil Auditorium. I had a Twin Reverb with JBLs Fender had just sent me and I took it to him. While we were talking, Lloyd said...I want you to meet another steel player and when I turned to see him, there was Johnny Paycheck !! Later in the show while Lloyd was backing Loretta Lynn, they were doing How Great Thou Art...Dewitt Scott and I were in the balcony listening and just her singing and Lloyd playing was an experience I can never forget.

Some of my most goose bumpy moments on this Forum have been with you and I always look forward to meeting you here.

Regards Paul

Added later...I only had ears for the steel so I don't know who was on violins. I do recall you opened the show by singing Whats Forever For ?? I can never forget that either !!
Marcus Provis

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 7:39 pm    

Another video from Youtube of Happy Goodmans concert with Jack playing steel ( I think ) Lovely playing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Ns76kh85w

Marcus

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 4:45 am    

Wow!!! Thanks Marcus for digging this up. This is the first time I have seen this footage since '74. BTW that purple Sho-Bud was made especially for the Goodmans by Shot Jackson and sounded great. I was playng through a beefed up Fender Princeton that Rusty had made especially for me. Another little know fact is that Howard and Vestal were my in-laws. These videos are especially important because they are a means for my grandchildren to see and know their great grandparents. What a blessing!!!
Marcus Provis

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 1:20 pm    

You are most welcome Jack, this is some of my favorite Goodmans material, since I came across this concert footage. Very interesting! That Sho-Bud sounded wonderful, and the Princeton amp. I had wondered what kind of Fender it was; And the fact that Rusty had worked on it for you would have made it a real special one indeed. I'm sure that your grandchildren would really enjoy seeing these videos of the Goodmans, and hearing them sing together in concert, it sure has been a blessing to me to watch them too. It is great to hear from you,
Wishing you all the very best

Marcus.