| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transitioning from spanish to steel guitar
Michael Wolfe

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 1:14 am    

Based on what I have read here it sounds as though most of you started on Spanish guitar and went to the steel. As I mentioned in my first post, I have played bottleneck off and on for years but never had a guitar dedicated to "slide".

I bought a lap steel about two years ago and it has opened up a whole new world for me. My wife said "you are much better at this than you were at banjo" which might sound like damning with faint praise unless you know her, she's not much into flattery.

I would like to do some recording with the steel guitar but I am not sure when it is "safe" to do so. I know nobody is ever satisfied with their own playing, but how long did it take you to make the transition, to the point where you didn't feel like you were embarrassing yourself by not playing your main instrument?

And, is it more psychological than technical?
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 7:57 am    

After 35 years of playing and teaching, I honestly believe it depends on the individual. I've seen people struggle very hard for little progress, and others making amazing strides in short times. Having one-on-one time with a teacher is often a factor. If you're anywhere near the east side of Atlanta, chat me up and I'll be glad to help you out as much as I can!
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 11:22 am    

Michael, I think you've got a good head start with your musical background. Your certainly ahead of the game when it comes to wearin picks on your fingers and playin chords on the guitar will give you a better understanding of the pedal steel neck. Go for it! Smile
Michael Wolfe

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 5:13 pm    

Andy Sandoval wrote:
Michael, I think you've got a good head start with your musical background. Your certainly ahead of the game when it comes to wearin picks on your fingers and playin chords on the guitar will give you a better understanding of the pedal steel neck. Go for it! Smile

That's true, steel guitar apparently happens at the intersection of banjo and bottleneck. What I was wondering is what exactly you think an accomplished player should know (insert skill here).
Michael Wolfe

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 5:15 pm    

Mark van Allen wrote:
After 35 years of playing and teaching, I honestly believe it depends on the individual. I've seen people struggle very hard for little progress, and others making amazing strides in short times. Having one-on-one time with a teacher is often a factor. If you're anywhere near the east side of Atlanta, chat me up and I'll be glad to help you out as much as I can!

Thanks, I just moved here. Let me get settled and maybe we can hook up for a couple of lessons.