| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aussie Steelers Pre-Christmas Get-Together
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2012 3:44 pm    

The last Aussie steel-players get-together for 2012 organised by Nick Oneill took place in the usual venue on Sunday 9th December. (My report is a little late due to being away for ten days.)

Above: The Usual Suspects; clockwise from lower left are Nick Oneill, Graham Griffith, Kerry Donlan, Mike Tyne and Tomi Graso. (Not in-shot are Gary Brown, Geoff Barnes and Ned McIntosh)

There was a brand-new steel-guitar at the gathering. Geoff Barnes had just taken delivery of a new MSA Legend in pale green lacquered maple. This was the first time some of us had seen the Legend, and the quick-change pickup mechanism was especially noteworthy. For those who haven't seen it, the following photos are more or less self-explanatory

First, open the neat little door beside the pickup you want to change,

then simply slide the pickup sideways,

until it can be removed by hand,

and there you have it! On the left is the pickup with two small brass contacts visible. Total time to swap a pickup is perhaps ten seconds.

Not just steels were played, we had a few resophonic guitars as well. Graham Griffith had a 10-string reso (with pickup) as well as his 14-string Sierra.

Here's Graham with the reso, and his 14-string keyless Sierra (which is for sale if anyone's interested - check the Brisbane Steel Guitar Club website for details).

Gary Brown brought a Scheerhorn reso along this time instead of his usual gold-plated Gilet. He also played his Alkire Eharp lap-steel, and Ned brought a reso made by Thirroul-based luthier Lawrence K. Smith for Gary to try.

Here's Gary on his Scheerhorn with the Eharp visible at right,

With Geoff Barnes on 6-string laying down rhythm for us, we persuaded Tomi Graso to play Geoff's new Legend. As most know, Tomi normally plays a left-handed Emmons LeGrande D10, but he was happy to oblige on the Legend and gave it voice so Geoff could hear what his new toy sounds like.

Tomi Graso on Geoff Barnes' new Legend whilst Geoff keeps a solid rhythm on guitar,

Ned on his Williams 700-series D10 (picture by Nick)

Obviously thinking very, very hard by the expression on his face.

We managed to chew our way through the old classics such as "Bud's Bounce", "Mansion On The Hill", "Crazy" and several others, in between chatting about tunings, comparing mechanisms, drooling and ogling over Geoff's new Legend and generally having a great time. Of our jamming, the comment was made "same destination, different ways to get there". We had steels from Emmons, MSA, Sho-Bud, Williams, Sierra and Mullen, plus the three resophonic guitars and Gary's Eharp. Below are some photos of the pot-pourri of "stuff", instruments and players,

Here's a close-up of Graham's 10-string resophonic,

This is Mike Tyne's interesting double-delay pedal setup, with the settings clearly visible (this created some interest from a forum-member a while ago, so I hope this photo is useful in that regard),

The undercarriage of the Sierra was as neat as we have come to expect from one in such well cared-for condition.

And here's everyone (except Ned), jammin'.

As this was our last meeting for the year Nick's wife Anne brought refreshments with a decidedly festive-season flavour, very much appreciated by everyone. Thank you, Anne!

From all of us who have been privileged enough to attend these events a huge "Thanks Mate!" to Nick for organising them, thanks also to all the guys who have shared licks, tricks, hints and tips and just made jamming such fun. We have looked forward to these meetings very much and hope Nick will continue to organise them in 2013.

Seasons Greetings to all forum-members from the steelers Down-Under!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2012 5:37 pm    

Looks like a lot of fun guys, I have to get across the ditch to one of these meetings Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Last edited by Paddy Long on 27 Dec 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick ONeill

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 3:48 am    

Thanks Ned. I hope you had a good time broadcasting with your satellites down in Tasmania. I'm not a cricket follower but it sure is the time of year for it here in Australia.

Yes, I hope our little group of "Steelies" will find the time to get together again next year. I have certainly enjoyed our times together and have gained a bit more confidence in my attempts at playing. The fact that a hobby player like me gets the opportunity to sit down shoulder to shoulder with so many of the best Steel players in Australia is awesome. You guys are great and you inspire me to keep on trying no matter how daunting it gets.

I hope you all had a very nice Christmas and wish you all a very safe, healthy and happy new year.
Mullen SD10G2 4x5 (Black), Carter S-10 3x5, Peavey Session 400, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender MS80, Boss DD3, Goodrich and Telonics volume pedals, Alesis QuadraVerb, Fender Strats x2, Fender Nashville Power Tele, Takamine NP-15C, Boss TU-12, Peterson VS-11, Strobo-flip and strobo-clip tuners, D2Fcovers,seat,legs, amps,guitars.
Nick ONeill

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 4:05 am    

Paddy, we are all looking forward to the day you can make it over to see us in Sydney. Maybe you can drag Ivan Poza with you as well ??? Take care.
Mullen SD10G2 4x5 (Black), Carter S-10 3x5, Peavey Session 400, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender MS80, Boss DD3, Goodrich and Telonics volume pedals, Alesis QuadraVerb, Fender Strats x2, Fender Nashville Power Tele, Takamine NP-15C, Boss TU-12, Peterson VS-11, Strobo-flip and strobo-clip tuners, D2Fcovers,seat,legs, amps,guitars.
Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 12:26 pm    

Sorry I missed this one, wish I could have been there, but with a 3 week old baby at home it wasn't going to happen.

See you all in Tamworth or beyond.
Damien
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 5:38 pm    

Nice one Nick
Would love to make it one of your get togethers .
Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2012 8:02 am    

The pictures are great. You all must have the best of times. Just noticed the bars on the windows. Can't be to keep people in(I wouldn't want to leave) must be to keep the jealous musicians out. Very Happy Terry
Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2012 12:01 pm    

As always, great pics Ned! hope you guys are having a great Xmas break.
Thanks Nick for including me... I learn heaps every time we do this and look forward to the next one.

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2013 10:16 pm    

Damien, it was great to catch up at your "Tall Timbre" band gig last weekend. May I offer a big Steel Guitar World welcome to your's and Jenny's new baby girl, Voilet. A beautiful sister for Oscar and Ruby. Congratulations to you both.

Brendan, its very nice to hear from you down there in Victoria. If you would like to send your email to my private messages on the forum I will add your name to our little band of steel players and that way you will know what we are up to here in Sydney. I can then give you my details and we can keep in touch.

Terry. Now that you mentioned it, those bars do look a bit over the top? Like you said, once we get you in there there is no escape !!!! I must ask Ned to photograph the outside of that building as it is in a very nice parkland type setting here near where I live and it is used mainly as a youth centre these days ( hence the graffiti art on the walls ). The youth group teaches sound production and runs a local community radio program there as well as a host of other activities. The building I'm told is over one hundred years old, is heritage listed and has had many different uses in that time eg, a pub/Inn, a post office and a dairy farmer's home to mention a few. It's owned by our local Municipal Council and they let us use it for free.

Geoff, always great to have you there and like you I always learn something new as well.

Again Happy New Year to all.
Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2013 2:10 pm    

G'day guys, that's some fab lookin' gear you've all got there!
Although, just what I'd do with the 4 extra reso strings I have no idea.
Havin' enough trouble with 6. Very Happy

Glad to see everyone's looking well & wish I could have been there.
All the best for 2013 & cheers, Allen.
Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 4:04 pm    

Great to see guys. Must be a great time of learning! Thanks for the pics. Sure is some eye candy!!