| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnum guitars
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 10:15 pm    

Just curious about the Magnum guitars. Are they just a Carter without polished parts or are they mechanically different. Never saw one in Carter booth in Dallas and have never played one or even seen one but heard they are good guitars. Where we're they sold or who sold them?

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 10:34 pm    

Magnum Steels were similar to Carters because they were built by World Class Steels. They had similar designs as the Carter steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 3:19 am    

Henry, I had a Magnum Pro Select. No where near the guitar that my Mullen G2 is but still a very good guitar. A good sounding guitar that played well, always stayed in tune and was well made.
Bill Ladd

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 4:30 am    

Undercarriage identical to Carter, powdercoated finish on top rather than polish, powdercoated aluminum legs and pedalbar. I've played both brands and they sound the same to me.

I play a Magnum D-10 professionally* both live and (on rare occasion) in the studio. I love mine and plan to keep her at least until I can afford an Emmons p/p!

*guess you'd say semi-professionally now, since I rarely make a living at it anymore!

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 5:28 am    

Magnum used smaller diameter crossrods.
Bill Ladd

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 6:00 am    

Oh yeah, and the single arm stamped bell cranks. Oops, forgot about that.
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 9:37 am    

Thanks everyone for their comments. So as I understand, a Magnum is just a Carter that has had some corners cut to cut down price. The pics I've seen are great looking guitars and I know Carter's are great guitars also. I've just never seen Magnums for sale or advertised new so was just wandering where they came from.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 9:57 am    

The business model, as I understood it from talking a number of times with John Fabian, was that the Magnum was Phase Two of the Carter Starter project---design and manufacture a steel guitar and market it in a more mainstream music store system---the mail-order networks like Musician's Friend & Sam Ash etc. First the C-S to get people into the game, then the Magnum to give them something to move up to--all in a marketplace more familiar to guitarists and other 'non-niche'...ie. steel guitar...consumers.
And for clarity--the Carter Starter bears no resemblance to the Magnum nor does it share any parts, I don't think. The Magnum is a pro instrument.
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 10:08 pm     magnums

The Magnum steels used to be available on Musiciansfriend. I am positive that they have since been removed from the catalog. Thanks

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 1:51 am    

They would probably still be around if John had not died and Carter was still in business.

What a loss his death was to our community.

F--- cancer!
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 4:01 pm    

Sarah Jory has some videos up on youtube playing a magnum and sounds great!
Bill Ladd

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 4:50 pm    

As does Bobbe Seymour.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 7:12 pm    

No disrespect to Magnum or Carter, but Sarah Jory and Bobbe Seymour would sound great no matter what they played.
Jim Hoke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 9:10 pm    

I played one once at Bobbe's and the thing had absolutely zero cabinet drop. I checked w/ a tuner.
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2012 2:51 am    

Quentin, Sarah would sound great playing on a plank with 1 srting attached Laughing No seriously, she has played many brands and sounded good on all she played. She's now playing a German built WBS.

Micky Byrne U.K.
Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2012 7:38 am     Magnum Guitars

I've owned one, sorry I sold it.
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2012 8:51 am    

One of my students had a new one . It sounded good and played well but it was a cheap made guitar . One thing i did notice about it was that it seemed to stay in tune real good . You buy what you can afford right ? I'm not being mean just honest . G.P.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2012 9:13 am    

I've never played one but I do have a Carter which has served me well. It's probably true that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but visually the Magnums have little appeal. It's mostly the cheap looking powder coated legs. I've seen better looking legs on an ironing board and just that feature alone would be a deal killer for me, whether or not the guitar sounded o.k.
Jim Hoke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2012 9:30 am    

I agree Bill. If I were judging an instrument by performance alone, I'd own a Magnum, but, doggonnit, it just doesn't look like a serious steel guitar. I guess a lot of players feel the same about GFI.
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2012 12:50 pm    

If I didn't like the powdercoated legs, but liked the guitar, I'd have the legs stripped and chromed or have replacements made.

I used to be dismissive of Fender Telecasters because they looked cheap. Don't care about appearances as much as I used to.

And no one pays attention to the steel player anyway, so what difference does it make? http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2012 3:37 pm    

Jim Hoke wrote:
I agree Bill. If I were judging an instrument by performance alone, I'd own a Magnum, but, doggonnit, it just doesn't look like a serious steel guitar. I guess a lot of players feel the same about GFI.

I'm sorta like you, it has to look like a serious guitar before I'll play one, out that is. The GFI and the Magnum and the other guitars like the Encore and ETS just don't look like real guitars even though they sound and play just as good as any pro type guitar. Now the Emmons P/P looks impressive to , even to folks that don't play. I don't know why??

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2012 4:53 pm    

I think it just has to do with being tasteful. Looks shouldn't be important but the fact is...they most certainly are(to me anyway). It almost always comes down to these few cosmetics that tell me whether the guitar looks serious or not.

1.Raised neck
2.Key head
3.The way the pickup is mounted.
4.Chrome (polished) endplates
5. Color scheme

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 2:45 pm    

Since i started this post back in 2012, Ive become the proud owner of a Magnum D-10 and can truthfully say its on of the most favorite guitars I've ever owned. Thats all i play now. It sounds good and plays good and stays in tune. Ive owned several Carters and i much prefer it over a Carter. Instead of the dog bone rod hookup, it has bell cranks like a 14 hole Legrand, i believe they are 11 hole. It has a little spring that holds the rods onto bell crank that makes it very easy to move or change setups. The changer is also different than a Carter with 4 & 2. Four raise and 2 lower.
These arent cheap made guitars. Only thing maybe youd call cheap is the anodized finish instead of polished aluminum. Howevr, i really like this finish. It’s durable and no maintenance. Just wipe off is all you have to do. Another big plus is this guitar is very light. I didnt weigh it but very easy and light to carry. It has GeorgeL pickups with an E66 on C neck. E neck pickup doesnt have a model number on it. Right now, for playability and tone, i wouldnt trade for anything.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2023 4:14 pm    

I think the George L pickup without a number on it is probably a 10-1. It's a tad darker than an E 66. Had one on my S10 Zum and liked it perty good.