| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Practice...
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2012 7:48 am    

How many of you, regularly practice without using pedals? I play only E9th, Emmons 3/5 and think that by starting on pedal steel and not playing C6th, believe I have missed something in my playing and technique, by not playing without pedals. I now find myself sitting down and practicing some without using pedals. I believe it has advanced my single note execution and blocking ability. Of course, I am no where near where I want to be, but I feel this is helping. I also think it is helping me learn the neck like never before, giving me another option to play various passages. Do or have any of you used a single neck non pedal, as in, lap or "George Board" type steel to accomplish this? Do any others regularly go pedal-less to practice? Am I late to the party?
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 4:06 pm     Ive asked the same question

I had an older post asking the same question. I was curious about using a ten string lap steel to practice non pedal runs and what not. Here is the link.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1861808&sid=f7b5f29defd4566453cf99bcdb16f851

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 5:40 pm    

I have never tried that but probably would help out if I did. I have practiced with out a volume pedal on occasion.

The North Coast, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 7:11 pm    

I am new to PSG, about 1 yr. and play a U-12. When I practice scales and patterns on the various scales I always play them without pedals first. Then with, my reasoning is I need to know the neck without pedals so I can connect the various positions boxes etc. up and down the neck. Occasionally I will both move the bar and pedal to get certain notes.

I can now see what the pedals do in relation to the frets and moving the bar.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 7:32 pm    

Believe it or not, When I started playin' almost thirteen years ago, I practiced without pedals, because at the time, because of my cerebral palsy, I was afraid my left foot couldn't handle the pedals, but I now use the pedals a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger