| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  links for Maurice Anderson's Bb6 universal sound?
Ulrich Sinn

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2012 1:27 am    

I'm trying to understand the difference to the Newman universal tuning, but just staring at copedent charts does not seem to help me all that much...

My first impression would be (and it's not unheard of that I'm wrong) is where the Newman Universal goes into the 6th tuning with a knee lever the Anderson tuning goes in the opposite direction.

Any Youtube videos out there? Maybe even playing rather Eb9ish and not swing?

Thank you,

U.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2012 4:33 am    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WWagS7oCoqE

It's not Maurice, but it is Bb 6..... not the best, but will give you a idea of it's sounds...

I am in the 6th open, and hold a knee in to get to the E9 sound, I have played this tuning since 1970, Jeff's tuning was and is more easy to go from D`10 to S`12 in my option..
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2012 11:26 am    

Yes, the Maurice Bb6 gets its' sixth cord sound by pressing pedals A and B and playing the middle F# or the 7th string, along with the 6th 5th and 4th strings.
I also love the major ninth chord you get by playing 7 5 and 4 together with pedal A pushed.
One can do the same thing on the E9 neck BTW. Hughey used to do this in the studio when a tune called for the "western sound" but didn't want to be seen playing the rear neck (and get fired by the producer).
Doing this gives you a higher voiced 6th sound than you get playing a sixth chord on the E9/B6 by flatting the Es, and, this to me is one of the only detriments to playing the E9/B6 (or Bb) vs a double neck E9/C6 guitar- B6 is a lower voice than C6. You'll find that one of the intervals is on a wound string vs a plain in addition to B being one step flat to C - hence the lower, darker voice.
However, if you tune E9/B6(Neuman) like I do, you can do both as I mention above.
I'm not at my guitar right now so I may have the stack up wrong. When I get home I'll check and correct if necessary.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2012 11:55 am    

FYI I have ab&c pedals of the E9th