| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud advice needed
Robert Schaffert

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 9:37 am    

I am going to restore this Bud after about 30 years in a case.I need any and all info I can find on tuning it up and getting it going.I don`t even know the correct string gauges are at this point I see so many variables in the different sets for sale.I do remember the third string on the E9th neck had a 10.Anybody have any idea what kind of value this steel might have?
It needs a polish and has a few small bar dings between necks but pretty mint other than that.

[/img]

If any of the restoration guys that restore these would like to shoot me a ballpark to get her playing and looking tops again I`d appreciate it.Robert Lee

Last edited by Robert Schaffert on 14 Dec 2012 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 9:54 am    

Most Sho-Buds used sets with wound 6th strings, but most standard sets will work just fine.
If it's sat for 30+ years, I think I'd send it to one of the Sho-Bud gurus like Ricky Davis or James Moorehead. It looks in great shape, but I'd want it disassembled, cleaned and relubed.
That's a gorgeous guitar.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 10:03 am    

How about a couple undeside pics?
Robert Schaffert

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2012 8:29 pm    

She`s a bit dingy on the adjuster rod ends...
Pickups still sound great and the switches all work fine. I hit them with some elec. contact cleaner & lube.

I do custom guitar wiring and the stock wiring job on this is horrid? Birds nest?
The cost to have it restored to mint is probably only good for those planning to keep and play them.
Maybe I should just sell it like it is?
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 7:23 am    

While I'm no expert, I'd say she doesn't need restoration judging on what I see .
Just disassembling, cleaning and reassembling.
Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 8:19 am    

I agree with Lane, just shine it up
and take the changer apart and clean it too.

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabinets.com
Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 10:36 am    

That guitar just needs to be played!!!!!!!
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 11:53 am    

I got a message from a Fo'Bro taking issue with my idea of taking apart the changer.
It got me thinking. My reason for suggesting that was the fact that the original lube woulda dried up and turned gummy.

It might not need it. Give it a few drops of light oil, play it some. If it plays in tune and returns in tune, just play it as is. If it feels gummy, then clean her out.
Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 1:14 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
Give it a few drops of light oil, play it some. If it plays in tune and returns in tune, just play it as is. If it feels gummy, then clean her out.

Sounds like the way to go to me. Very Happy

By the way, what would be the best cleaning solution to use to degum the changer? I used carb/throttle body cleaner on a 6139's changer, and it seemed to work ok.
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 2:21 pm    

i would NOT mess with this, esp as a newbie - let me say from experience that i found the SAME model Sho-Bud in far worse shape when i started (my first steel) and thinking it couldnt be all that difficult, i disassembled it to clean and put back together - let me say, you know the rest of the story. i think 6 months later, i got all the pulls and 2 knees to work and come back in tune.

assuming its set up properly now, with pulls, etc, you'd best not open pandora's box on this one.
that said - you eventually would want to do what others have said, but with someone familiar with these rack and barrel set ups - they are not that difficult, but if you are in the "i dont even know what strings to put on it" stage, then dont go taking it apart to "clean it".

***oh - i'm also assuming you want to PLAY it - i mean, some people just like restoring things and having them in their music room, which is ok if thats your goal.

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2012 9:01 pm    

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.The guitar seems to be returning to pitch just fine.I think I will just use some cleaner and apply some light lube to all moving areas, re string it and play it for a while and see how it goes.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 7:37 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
I got a message from a Fo'Bro taking issue with my idea of taking apart the changer.
It got me thinking. My reason for suggesting that was the fact that the original lube woulda dried up and turned gummy.

It might not need it. Give it a few drops of light oil, play it some. If it plays in tune and returns in tune, just play it as is. If it feels gummy, then clean her out.

Lane, you are waffling-- you were right the first time----DISASSEMBLE and clean that changer out--it's got 35 years of gunk in it. To think you can just pour some junk through it and that's all you need is major BS and nothing more than putting a bandaid on a symptom and trying to take the easy way out--not fixing the cause. The best that will do is just re-arrange the gunk. Clean that changer out CORRECTLY, and you would be amazed at how easy it plays and how stable your tuning will be.

This is a nice example of a Professional, and they are one of Shobud's finest hour. Polish and clean it, and you are good for another 35 years.

Robert, if you would like to contact me, I will share some tips on rejuvenating your original laquer. I can coach you through. You are quitting to soon if you do not disassemble the changers. Don't listen to the false security.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2012 7:49 am    

OK, James.
Robert, unless you're REALLY mechanically handy, I'd recommend sending it to one of the guys who regularly do this. Depending on how stiff the gunk is, James could probably knock this out in a weekend, but there's a lot of little parts et c., like Jerome said. I'd rather send it away for a couple weeks than have it upside down on a bench for a few months
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2012 3:50 pm    

Quote:
...if you are in the "i dont even know what strings to put on it" stage, then dont go taking it apart to "clean it".

I would definitely agree. Alien
Larry Otis

Napa, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 7:04 am     Sho Bud

I recently bought an old '81 Bud. It had never been messed with and had been in storage for years. I cleaned as best I could without taking it apart, lubed everything and it plays and stays in tune beautifully. Been playing it every day for months without any glitch at all.
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 7:56 am    

Well, the simplest diagnosis would be to put on a new set of strings and tune it up and try it out. If it works you're good to go and if it doesn't, now is the the time to panic not before. Common sight and sense will reveal any troubles that you may incur. Winking Think about it, if you stored your automobile for and entended period of time would you tear down your engine as a precaution before you drive it. I think not. Mr. Green Assess your situation and then implement damage-control. Happy Steelin
James Morehead

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 1:00 pm    

Ray Anderson wrote:
Think about it, if you stored your automobile for and entended period of time would you tear down your engine as a precaution before you drive it. I think not. Mr. Green Assess your situation and then implement damage-control. Happy Steelin

You WOULD check air pressure, change the neccesary fluids, fuel filter and ditch the old fuel first,--common sense, right?

Some of the old lubricants that were used back in the early days of Shobud dry out with time--whether you use the guitar or store it. Common sense, right? Or just use it until it fails or breaks. Think about it.
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 2:24 pm    

James my ole' friend, I know your passion for these instruments and that is a good quality, just a shame that more people don't display it. The point I was trying to make is this: Visual inspection will disclose a lot of information, with the use of a good light and some exploration you should see signs of build up. A good magnifying glass is a plus also. My hat is off to ya for being cautious, but every cut or scrape doesn't need to be stitched Laughing You're very good at what you do and I'm not suggesting otherwise, but the economy is very poor and shipping is expensive and every body can't just up and do this at will sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. YMMV Mr. Green
James Morehead

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 2:55 pm    

Negative Ray. You can't "look" into an assembled changer with a flashlight and see what I see when I disassemble that same changer.

I am not soliciting more work, either, Lord knows I'm buried in back log. I find it a shame "false economy" is offered in place of doing it right. Ray, you nor I have ever seen/played/examined Robert's guitar in person. But I have been in more shobud changers than I can count, and I see first hand the neglect and the results of "slapping a bandaid" on symptons. I'm only interested in helping Shobud owners get the most out of their instruments. Neglect leads to tuning issues/excessive wear and tear, which leads to a fine guitar being dissed as a "bad guitar", when in reality, it's pilot error.

If anyone wants to learn more about anything "shobud" can contact me FREE of charge and I will gladly share what little I know.

I'm not interested in debates, so I'm outa here. Peace. Smile
Dearl Roughton

Chocowinity, N.C. US
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 4:46 pm     Shobud Tuning Head

Robert I took my Shobud a part and put it back. During the process I got in touch with James thru email. I sent him photos and he talked me thru the process. He is one great guy and he will help you in any way. Again James many thanks for all your help. Smile
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 4:47 pm    

An R&B changer is really very simple. Easy to take apart and put back together. I bought a carb cleaner at the AutoZone that works great for cleaning parts. It's a one gallon paint bucket, full of cleaner, with a basket for dipping the parts. Anyone with a modicum of mechanical ability will have no problem cleaning their changer. There's nothing complicated about the procedure. Take the fingers off the axle, clean 'em, put 'em back on the axle, with the right lube. Easily done.
Tommy Thompson

tampa, fl
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 8:09 pm     pedal 1 cross shaft spring

On pedal 1 looks like the spring on crossshaft has been moved for more tension, if that assembly is not returning easily, could be problem like I had where screws holding that assembly to cabinet were too tight and were binding. Somebody, maybe even me, had overtightened them. I Backed then up a little and moved like butter. tommy t. Very Happy
Robert Schaffert

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2012 10:29 pm    

Tommy, pedal 1 is fine the spring is just a longer one but provides about the same tension. I have ordered strings.I am on the fence about going through the changer,I`m quite good mechanically so I might have a go.I do appreciate all the help and know you all got my back.
My wife is pressuring me to sell but I want to keep it.
I am also going to build a lap steel soon.
Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2012 4:51 am    

[quote="James Morehead"]

"If anyone wants to learn more about anything "shobud" can contact me FREE of charge and I will gladly share what little I know."

Count me as one of his grateful recipients.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2012 5:37 am    

It looks to be in much better condition then most from that era. I say lube it, then play and enjoy it. If you find some problem at a later date, do some more work on it.