| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Word of caution to newbies like me
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 9:23 pm    

Veterans can skip this as it's probably old hat, but I made a beginner mistake which I'll 'fess up to in hopes it will help someone else.

Got my steel in early February, set it up in the computer room, and have been enjoying learning and practicing ever since. Today I had the opportunity to get some pointers from a long-time player, but circumstances dictated that I bring my Stage One as he would not have his instrument with him.

When we got all set up and I sat down to play, I was all messed up with my left foot - it felt like somebody raised the pedals way up in the air. Checked how it was put together, no problem there.

Finally the light dawned - not long before I got the steel, we had had new carpet, on top of a thick pad, installed in the room I have it in. Over about 10 months of playing, the legs sank probably a good inch into the carpet. When I set it up on a hard wood floor, it had the effect - to my perception - of raising those pedals up. To make matters worse, while I was gone the better half decided to vacuum that room and took strong exception to what was happening with that carpet!

I now have a piece of plywood down and a small throw rug between that and the carpet so my seat and steel are on firm ground so to speak. I'm sure in a short time my feet will adapt to the new (and correct) arrangement.

So for what it's worth, there you have it. Hopefully it will save someone else from crushed carpet padding, strange feeling steel pedals, and wifely wrath.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 11:54 pm    

Good advice. I can't stand playing my steel on deep carpet. I have boards down in my practice room.

I carry a small sheet of plywood in my car for gigs. I've had many times when I've had to use the plywood at gigs, as they wanted me to set up on grass or gravel or dirt, plus deep carpet. It's been a real life-saver to always have the ability to create a reasonable playing surface.
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 4:49 am    

Good observations.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 5:02 am    

I have a surplus metal shelf, that's fits perfect. (upside down)

I don't travel with it, but it fills the bill with the guitar I leave setup in a rehearsal room.

Makes it easy to slide the guitar out of the way, too.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 5:11 am    

I have a 4'X4' piece of masonite that I use for my steel and steel seat, on carpet at home.
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 5:35 am    

Jack, when I traveled a bit, I carried your idea in my pack-seat: 3x4 inch pieces of masonite. Small but did the same purpose, keeping the feet of the guitar up out of the carpet, grass, gravel, whatever. Cool
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Joe Gall

DeLand, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 6:07 am    

Somewhat on the same line, I hosted a jam a week ago here at our new home and in the new music room. We had a blast. I played drums or bass for most of the night then towards the end the guys told me to play my steel. Well don't ask twice as they were playing traditional country and I couldn't wait to play along.

Anyway after the first song I was thinking something was incredibly wrong as my MSA just didn't sound right. I broke out the tuner and all seemed well. Next song same thing. This time I tried the tuner using the pedals. Well, soon as I pushed the pedals to the floor and looked at the tuner I knew what the problem was.

The front legs had slid up into the adjusters at some point and were not allowing the pedals full travel. Wow what a difference after that! The problem was the fact that until I get the stage built in the music room, the tile floor is a bit uneven in places, so I had loosened the legs in attempt to level the guitar, but then evidently did not tighten them enough etc. Another newbie mistake I suppose but man did that ever sound terrible!

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 9:27 am    

An "Office Chair Mat" is also great for setting up on.
I found one at a garage sale that is very sturdy, and easy to transport (as long as you remember to load it first).
Do a Google Images search for "Office Chair Mat" and you'll see how they are shaped perfectly for both the Steel and the Steel Seat, and can be very fancy or very basic.
Steve Collins

Alaska, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 10:25 am    

I have been playing for about a year now, and went to record a track last month for my band. Got to the studio and had the same issue, I had practiced on carpet for a year, and set up on a wood floor at the studio, my pedal tunings were terrible. Now I practice on a solid floor, as that is what all of the stages around here are.

I also played my first gig last week on the steel, and bow howdy did I learn a few things right away.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 2:41 pm    

Pete, those office mats would be ideal but the local Staples gets about $30 for that small piece of plastic! Possibly a search would find some cheaper but wow! I got a 4x4 piece of sanded plywood at HD for under $20 and can probably trim some off that to use for other stuff.

I can see where the flexibility and ease of carrying could be worth the difference tho - a rolled up mat is way better than a 4x4 sheet of plywood.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 3:25 pm    

Back when I was giggin' 5/7 nights a week, I never knew what to expect. I took a piece of plywood big enough for the steel and seat. Covered it with that grey stuff you sometimes see on travel cases or PA speakers. Cut a "monkey grip" in it so it was easy to carry. Worked great on shag carpets!
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 8:19 am    

You do what you gotta do to make things work..

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 10:56 am    

I have my steel on a piece of plywood and it does make a difference.
Don Hinkle

Springfield Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 6:34 am    

Bill Terry wrote:
You do what you gotta do to make things work..

Bill Terry for President 2016!!!!!
Fender guitars
Fender amps
Claire Winter

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 4:12 pm     Front leg slippage fix

Joe: I had the same problem with my new guitar's front legs, extended down about 1/8"+ from full short, slipping up and throwing the pedal angles too low. I couldn't get the leg adjusters tight enough to hold the position (I"m not weak). Solution: I bought two 3/16" thick rubber O-rings from a local hardware store (5/8" inner diameter). Removing the rubber feet and sliding the O-ring up between the top of the pedal bar and the upper leg adjusting ring totally cured the problem. A Sumo wrestler could play this thing and it wouldn't budge! BTW there wasn't enough thread in the 7 pedals to do the same thing that way--which would have taken forever anyway. Can't really see the O-rings so looks great, too.
Clinton Damron

Cleburne Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 7:08 pm    

Now I know why I have trouble going from my house to most places I set mine up to tinker with. I think I'll put some hard wood flooring in my room.
Joe Gall

DeLand, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 7:20 pm    

Claire,

Thanks and I will keep this in mind. However, for now all is well. Once I tightened up the legs no more issues...

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 7:37 pm     my view

I bought 8 wooden coasters a long time ago sometimes they are just leveling devices to for the stages that are not close to level.

That is one reason I make adjustable height steelseats. The wooden (WalMart) costers for my steel and adjustable height legs for the seat and I am set - I have adjustable legs on the steel too.

You figured it our quicker than many.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Gary Reed

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 8:08 pm    

Great stuff guys! Thanks