| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Is It Wise To Sidestep Traditionalism On Occasion?
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 6:05 am    

Laughing Winking
Wink Winking I guess its easy to answer who is a traditionalist? Its anyone who traditionaly answers every one of Bills post.. Winking
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 6:14 am    

A Forum topic is like an escalator. When it breaks down all you have to do is walk off.

Last edited by Bo Legg on 26 Nov 2012 6:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 6:17 am    

Breaking with tradition is not a crime. It has been said that, "Anything worth doing, is worth doing right." The trick is knowing right from wrong. As I see existing lifestyles, some behaviorisms have gone over the edge. When it comes right down to bare facts concerning the pedal steel guitar, it isn't that difficult to make a few quick determinations concerning a given subject, by viewing a few areas that are known trouble spots that effectively detract from a player's performances. Breaking bad habits one by one is a recognizable trait in every player who advances to front and center in this business of entertainment.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 6:20 am    

Well said. I agree.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 7:34 am    

Sometimes a thousand words is worth a picture.. Rolling Eyes

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 11:53 am    

Years ago a thumbpick was just a means of picking the strings of a guitar. Today, the thumbpick commands the respect that it deserves. Some players concentrate more on the fingerpicks. Certain brand names are sold on e-bay or forum for unbelievable prices. I met a man from Vermont who loaded the tips of his fingerpicks with one of the white metals. Some thumbpick users play with a pick that looks very much like a Rhode Island Red's spurs. Usually the thumb needs to be extended to keep from picking the wrong strings. Some curl their thumbs in such a way to create a lightning fast fanning technique of brushing designated note patterns. One glance will reveal the overlapping edge of an oversized thumbpick. I trim down the edge of the pick to prevent it from hooking a string inadvertently on the side opposite the picking end. Polish the fresh cut sharp edges to the contour of your thumb. Trim and polish the picking end to insure a better response.
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 1:17 pm    

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 6:31 am    

I hadn't mentioned playing pedal steel with sneakers or cowboy boots. Talk about a contrast in showmanship. It's like night and day! I once met a player who played in glove leather cowboy boots. When a dollar was a dollar, they had cost the player $200.00. I prefer a low profile leather slipper type footwear while playing the pedal steel. I remember a friend trying out my steel guitar while wearing enormous work boots. It matters greatly how well a player chooses footwear in the course of eliminating a possible misguided sneaker or boot. But, as they say nowadays; "you already knew that". Oh Well
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 8:20 am    

Quote:
I prefer a low profile leather slipper type footwear while playing the pedal steel.

Bill, you should know that anything short of wearing cowboy boots when playing the psg is almost sacrilegious let alone sidestepping tradition...
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 8:59 am    

Barry,Guess who the biggest sinner is?
Laughing Laughing Wink Winking
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 10:41 am    

Yes, Joe, I was aware of that. Laughing Maybe we need one of these here on the Forum..

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 11:32 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Yes, Joe, I was aware of that. Laughing Maybe we need one of these here on the Forum..

It would probably overload the system b0b has in place with just one extended Hankey thread.

Oooopppsss... the Sarcasm Detector I just had installed here at the house is going off right now. Pardon me while I disconnect it.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 12:34 pm    

Call it whatever first comes to mind in this struggle of trying to find footwear that feels comfortable while playing the pedal steel guitar. I've worn out quite a few slipper type moccasins in practice sessions. When sneakers prevailed over other types of footwear used for mashing the ABC pedals, I tried several different styles. They are much too cumbersome in comparison to slippers or loafers. I simply do not wear them, since the off and on again evidence has taught me that they are meant for sports such as basketball, or jogging around the block in your favorite city, not for playing the pedal steel guitar.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 1:20 pm    

Dr. Bill,What does this have to do with with your original post ? You can change gears faster than Brad Keselowski.At least his has some reason to it. You have filibustered about noodling in the closet,foxes and hounds,even threw a bird in the mix,behaviorisms going over the edge,shivering bars,breaking bad habits,thumbpicks and cowboy boots ,basket ball,jogging,[these last two are really RELEVANT] to the steel guitar, and chastisng a fellow forum member about his spelling,BUT you can't answer ONE simple question without changing the subject by spreading more guana. Oh Well YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Last edited by Charles Davidson on 27 Nov 2012 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 1:39 pm    

Bama, I'd chime in but I'm afraid ole' Bill will go through my old posts and criticize my punctuation.....Razz Razz Razz Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Pete Conklin on 6 Dec 2012 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 2:49 pm    

The complexities involved in becoming a steel guitarist who can hold his own in any musical situations are too numerous to mention. I'm not sure what the harmonica/steel ratio happens to be in terms of learning how to play melodies on either instrument. Even though the steel guitar has a "reputation" for holding back on it's best secrets, its beauty and tonality lures nonmusical subjects into a never-never land of discord. I've often wondered how many past students have their instruments packed away. Every now and then a bright shining star comes forth from the woodwork, and all but knocks the socks off from those who tarry in practice.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 27 Nov 2012 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 3:06 pm    

Pete,

I promise not to snoop around again with word studies. That is what English Classes are involved in doing. A good English teacher can be a real pain by finding A to Z faults with anything written. They expect your vocabulary to improve, and then they turn their big guns on you for using flowery English. Now that I think about it, music can produce similar problems under less than ideal circumstances. Smile
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 3:20 pm    

Bill do you belong to any other forums? You shouldn't selfishly confine your stream of consciousness to such a small audience.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 3:57 pm    

Fred,

I became a member over 10 years ago of this steel guitar forum. Back then, I was involved in bringing top of the line professionals to the MASSBASHES. I learned that they are some of the greatest people on earth in terms of honesty, loyalty, sincerity and many other desirable attributes. The COUNTRY MUSIC RECORD NEWSPAPER kept me busy during the 80's. If I felt like reaching out, there is much to be desired in promoting the pedal steel guitar and its players.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 4:12 pm    

Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 5:32 pm    

Bill. Do you enjoy playing pedal steel guitar?

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 10:20 pm    

It's all good brother Bill. Smile
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2012 12:08 am    

Dr. Bill,I think maybe you are doing a disservice to new players by always talking about the complexities of playing the steel. [ THE COMPLEXITIES INVOLVED IN BECOMING A STEEL GUITARIST WHO CAN HOLD HIS OWN IN ANY MUSICAL SITUATIONS ARE TOO NUMEROUS TO MENTION.]WHY Would you make such an absurd statement?,The steel is NO harder to learn than any instrument.Want a hard instrument ? Then try an oboe,French Horn,Cello,Any newbies out there DON'T,DON'T,DON'T, let Dr. Bill or anyone else scare you away from playing the steel. All the naysaying is just BS.It does take up time and is hard work BUT all it takes is the [WANT TO].It's JUST a musicial instrument,not some MYSTERIOUS,complex,starwars machine. Any one that tells you otherwise is just kneedeep in BS.YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2012 5:06 am    

I once read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that a father to some boys placed his guitar on his bed, and told the youngsters not to touch it. The moral of the quote of course, was, the boys couldn't resist touching the instrument. Their desire to learn to play became deeply embedded in the recesses of their minds. All too often, children require following up on important matters. To not explain why they shouldn't touch the guitar, is an open invitation to do the opposite. When little toddlers come to visit, one of the first things they do is to ask about my steel guitar. I let them strum the strings, and instruct them to not touch the tuning keys. So much for scaring youngsters away from becoming steel guitarists. I'm not about to let (you know who) slip that one in, without clarifying the truth of the matter. Exclamation
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2012 5:36 am    

Purple turtles. Greebx?