| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rick Frypan?
Rob Munn

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2012 5:56 am    

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RKR-FRYING-PAN-SOLID-ALLOY-LAP-STEEL-GUITAR-RICKENBACKER-COPY-/181003607710
This is an Ebay UK listing. The owner says it is a Rick copy but it looks pretty real to me. It has RKR on a headstock nameplate. Rickenbacker/Kaufman ? What is this fine looking lap steel. Anyone know if it is real?
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2012 7:34 am    

Looks like the nut started as a six-string... the peg-head doesn't look to have extra holes, however. Haven't a clue otherwise... doesn't look old.

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2012 8:44 am    

deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 21 May 2018 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2012 8:48 am    

This is a Rod King cast frypan, made in the UK. I oughta know - I have one! They were made as 7-strings in the 1990s, only 16 total I believe.

Solid aircraft-grade aluminum (stays in tune like you wouldn't believe), pickup is a Charlie Christian type so "horseshoes" are for decoration/handrest. Mine has felt on the bottom of the body and neck, guess it was added after purchase? I acquired it about a year ago from Basil Henriques when he was helping liquidate Ron Whittaker's estate when he passed away. If you can get it for 300 pounds you are getting a great deal.
Rob Munn

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2012 2:38 pm    

Thanks MIke,
Fine looking lap steel. I just bought a lap steel from london that is a 1939 Gibson Console Grande with what look like Charlie Christian pickups. I wonder if this was used by Ron Whittaker or another British steel player. Keith Richards? Wouldn't that be nice, little note inside or something (dreaming man). Did Keith even play steel guitar. Good friends with Gram Parsons back when so maybe he did. I grabbed the bottom article of the British Steel clubs website. I don't know who Ron Whittaker was, but he sounded like an interesting and talented guy. Later,
Rob

1960 -1976 were Ron’s recording years, In his home studio he and George Hewitt had weekly recording sessions, producing reel-to-reel tapes for the “BMG” tape club which circulated tapes worldwide. Their recordings were considered to be some of the best produced in Britain.

Ron has been on holiday to Hawaii three times, here he is with the Moe family

Ron also made all the leis for his band, so it wasn’t long before he had a new career supplying them to local bands. His ad in the BMG magazine read “Hawaiian lies, hand made by Johnny Tanoha” and orders came in from all over the world. Soon after, he signed a contract with Clifford Essex Music Co. of London, to supply them on a wholesale basis and his ad ran in that mag until the company went out of business.
Ron has also made guitars, one of which can be heard on one of Sammy Mitchell's cassettes , “Back Again” also produced by Ron.

There will be an in depth review of the “Sammy Mitchell” tapes by Basil in the next issue, and also the tapes will be advertised for sale in “Desert Island Disc’s”

The feature which sets Ron’s guitars apart from all others is his pickup, designed to produce the tonal characteristics of the old Rickenbachers and Dickersons without the use of the horseshoe magnets.

Once having heard them, many players in other lands [including the U.S.] have felt that this is the only guitar for them, and Ron has the satisfaction of knowing that many of his guitars are “out there” making beautiful music.

Ka mâlamalama o ke Akua e ho`opuni mai iâ kâkou

Ke aloha o ke Akua e kîpuni mai iâ kâkou

Ka mana o ke Akua e ho`opakele mai iâ kâkou

e alo o ke Akua e mâlama mai iâ kâkou

Ma kahi â kâkou, e hele aku ai he Akua nô
Amene

May the Earth continue to live, May the heavens above continue to live

May the rains continue to dampen the land, May the wet forests continue to grow

then the flowers shall bloom, and we humans shall live again.

Basil Henriques
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2012 6:51 pm     No sales to the States:(

I'd love to bid on it but no sales to USA.
Rob Munn

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 4:20 am    

Hey Steve,
I can understand why they don't ship internationally. I am still waiting for a Gibson doubleneck guitar from London, England. I bought the beast 2 weeks ago (it weighs 36 lbs.) and it still hasn't left the UK. Fedex wanted get this: for a quick delivery (2-4 days) 1800 U.S.!! I just about had a Byrd! 1000 U.S. if you take the slow boat to the mainland. Altho it weighs 36 lbs., the package was larger (much larger than the guitar) and they use some weird calculation of wieght and volume, before determining that the 36 lb.s is actually 65. Hence the 1800. I have finally decided to ship it snail mail. I am not going to pay even a grand for shipping for a guitar worth maybe double that in pristine condition. Fortunately, the seller has a friend who is an exporter and it is being shipped for a lot less. UPS quoted 450 U.S. which is more reasonable. Do you know someone in England that could pick it up and ship it themselves? Sure would like to hear what this modern frypan sounds like.
Rob
Rob Munn

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 4:27 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=215570&highlight=rkr+frypan

Hey Steve,
This is the only mention of an RKR frypan that I could find using the "search" option on this great website. Bonus: comes with an old Jerry Byrd video posted by Basil Henriques. Check it out. It went for 575 GBD (Great Britain dollars?) just last year. I guess the pickup is wound just like the original, altho they say the magnets are inconsequential to the sound.

Rob
Rob Munn

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 5:10 am    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxhtflmyFGk

Not easy to find info on Rod King, let alone anything about his lap steel guitars. This is a video of him playing in England some where.
Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 5:24 am     I remember that one...

I wish I had a friend in England to pass it on for me. I've done it a few times for guys in Australia who cant get something shipped from the USA. 7 strings are really hard to find.
Rob Munn

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 6:00 am    

OH Steve,

Buy it. It'll get over here. Just get creative. In this modern era, there's gotta be a hundred ways to get things over here. Moving companies ie/ Brits moving over here. Import/exporters etc. I just wish I knew more about these guitars as far as the maker Rod King; how many were made?

Rob
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 8:56 am    

Rob, that's the one I bought and yep, that's what Basil charged me. Someone got in before me but wanted to quibble on the price (shrug), so Basil sold it to me.

Mine was shipped by DHL, and it cost 85 pounds. Weight was calculated at 17.6 lbs (8 kg) including the case. Maybe you can contact the seller and ask about shipping to you, and to try DHL?...good luck anyway, I think you'd be very pleased with this instrument. Please let me know if you need any more info.
Rob Munn

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 9:42 am    

Hi forum members;

I have an apology to make to Rod King..For some reason, (I think it was because I read that this guitar was from Rod King's estate) I thought Rod had died..I misread into the estate thing with someone who has passed on. I apologize Rod!

Hi Robert

The report of Rod King's demise is a little premature; he's very much alive and well. My wife and I had lunch with him and his wife Rosemary at their home last Sunday.

If you want to contact Rod, I'd be pleased to pass on an email from you in the first place.

Best wishes,

Digby Hardy
Administrator
European Steel Guitar Forum
http://www.chanos-isgf/esgforum

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Munn" <carrobe>
To: <esgforumadmin>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:01 PM
Subject: confirmation code

HI Basil,

I do not get any image for a confirmation code when I attempted to register to this forum. I am really trying to get some history on Rod King and his incredible looking RKR lap steel guitars, although I have never heard one. I understand he passed away (my condolences to friends and family) and one of these fine looking steels is on the UK ebay for sale for 300 pounds approx. (500 + U.S ). Unfortunately the seller doesn't ship overseas (I'm actually in Canada, Nanaimo on the west coast). I ordered a fantastic looking (hope it plays well) Gibson Console Grande and the shipping costs were outrageous. 1800 U.S. for a speedy delivery!!! Forget about it. I'll wait for the snail mail. Anyway, very curious about the life and times of Rod King. How do I get on this forum? Sincerely,
Rob Munn
Rob Munn

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 9:42 am    

Hey Mike,

Thanks a lot. I'll pass it on to my seller in London that DHL may be the best of the lot. Right on bud,
Rob
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 9:47 am    

Federal Express are not the best way to ship over the Atlantic. I once sent Basil Henriques a Fender Stringmaster via DHL from San Francisco to Tamworth, Staffordshire, and it arrived in three days. Cool
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 10:01 am    

It was Ron Whittaker who passed on, and Rod King who designed the guitar, both good friends of Basil.

I`m with Alan - DHL seems to be way to go between North America and the UK. I got my shipment within 3 days of pickup too.