| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gulfport MS Show
Gary Moore

Mobile, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2012 4:15 pm    

what time does the show start satuday & who's Playing.
Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2012 4:55 pm    

cut across shorty....
....and come on over
showtime saturday is 11am, but, don't be surprised if an early bird special precedes. these guy's are wantin' to pick so the horses will be at the gate!
hal higgins is the lead-off rider and the legends just keep comin'. there will be stars of stage, screen and t.v. all under one roof.....
come one, come all and let's have a ball......

country.....
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 5:56 am     Gulfport

The Saturday's line up will feature our Hank Corwin Appreciation Program. Sorry to say that Hal Higgins had to cancel as he could not turn down a good paying job and these days of finances not being so secure, that is the best thing to do. He will be missed. Thanks for the consideration, Hal. See you on our stage again in the future though.
Show will start with Country Jack Harper featuring Billy Carr and myself along with Corky Tittle-drums, Gene Breeden-guitar, Jack Goodson-fiddle,Ben O'Dell-bass and Roy Rosetta-piano. Line of steel players after the opening ceremony for Hank Corwin, will be, in order: Big Will STewart, Royce Tarver, Ora Oubre, Ken Henderson, R.J. Buras, Billy Carr with the Ellis Olsen show of our good classic country music, Jerry Jaye (Rockabilly HOF) show with Larry Lee Wren and Ben O"Dell; Billy Carr, Jerry Jaye and the Romeo Sullivan(DJ HOF)show; Bill Stafford with the Country Jack Program dedication to Hank Corwin; Rudy Osborne, Gene Breeden/Lorraine Walden show; The Glenn and Julie Musgrove program with Brenda feturing Rudy Osborne; Pee Wee Whitewing, Joe Wright takes us to the 8pm hour for a 30 min intermission. Then Leon Champion with Doc Rickles; Buck Grantham; Steve Sanford; Bill Ferguson; Jim Parker;Bert Courregge and then a surprise ending program...Will be a good and busy time for all. Thanks for all this wonderful and most talented support. And Gary, I could find a slot for you. Let me know...
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 12:12 pm     show

5:00pm on Friday, 11-2 & 11:00AM on Saturday 11-3. Gulfport, Mississippi is the place for pickers/grinners to be, both days. Change the oil in the undercarriages and check the air pressure on the rubber tips on each leg. Gonna be one steel guitar after another, back to back singing/pickin'. Wow! Probably every brand guitar made also. Excel, Mullen & Emmons will probably be everywhere but my little Williams will be in the middle somewhere screaming with the 38.6 605-BL. Everybody come on down and have fun and checkout the guitars. Bill always puts on a great show. See ya Fri./ Sat. Thanks!!!
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 12:41 pm     gulfport show

bill: just wanted you to know that martha and i will not be able to make the show this time....thanks jack
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2012 5:54 am     Gulfport Show

Jack, you and Martha will really be missed. Sorry you can not make this one as it is gearing up to be one of our very best. Your steel and fiddle and you and Martha will be missed-one of our main stay performers and friends..Thanks \
Bill Stafford
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2012 10:33 am     Schedule?

Bill,
Could you give us a schedule of which steel players will be playing ,at what time , for both days ?
I know you touched on it in a previous post regarding Saturday, but actual times for each Steel players both days would help.
Thank you for all the hard work you do for the steel community.
I hope to see you there.
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2012 12:24 pm     Gulfport Show

HI Steve, will be good have you here. Look me up when you arrive. Here is the schedule hot off the press
Friday 5pm: Billy Carr:5:30-Will Stewart: 6-Shelton Welch: 6:30-Royce Tarver: 7-Billy Carr & Ellis Olsen show: 8-Joe Wright: 8:30-Rudy Osborne: 9-Pee Wee Whitewing: 9:30-Buck Grantham: 10-Steve Sanford: 10:30-Arvis Moore: 11-Bill Ferguson: 11:30-Bill Stafford. At midnight we will have a monster jam with about seven steel players to end the night with a fun session.
Saturday session: 11am-Billy Carr, Bill Stafford w/Country Jack Harper and welcome tribute to Hank Corwin: 11:30-Will Stewart; 12-Royce Tarver: 12:30-Ora Oubre; 1pm-Ken Henderson; 1:30-R.J.Buras; 2-Billy Carr & Ellis Olsen show with classic country music songs;2:45-Jerry Jaye(Rockbilly HOF) w/ Larry Wren & Ben O'Dell;3:30-Billy Carr&Romeo Sullivan (DJ HOF) show;4-Bill Stafford w/Country Jack Harper program for Hank Corwin;4:45-Rudy Osborne, Bill Stafford w/Lorraine Walden & Gene Breeden show;5:30-Rudy Osborne w/Glenn & Julie Musgrove plus Brenda with some of the best harmony singing you will ever hear;6:15-Pee Whitewing w Wendell Gurly singing Hank Thompson hits; 7pm-JOE WRIGHT;8-Intermission: 8:30-Leon Champion w/Doc Rickles;9-Buck Grantham; 9:30-Steve Sanford;10pm-Bill Ferguson;10:30-Open; 11:30-Bert Courregge FINI
Hope this helps and I sure thank all of you for the interest in this program. Country Jack has a great program lined up in appreciation of Hank Corwin who is still in ICU with a very bad stroke situation. Barbie, his wife, will be able(hopefully) to visit during the afternoon program so we can all tell her how we feel about Hank Corwin. Thanks again.
Corky Tittle

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2012 1:13 pm     re: Hank Corwin show

I spoke with Barbie Mon., and she said she would be there.Lookin' forward to settin' THAT pace a one ana two......
Billy Carr

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2012 1:59 pm     show

Special thanks to Mississippi's top steelman, Bill Stafford. It takes a lot of time, effort and endless working to put a steel show together like this. Thanks to all of the gals/guys that are coming also. This is truly what steel guitars and Classic Country is all about. As my mentor, John Hughey told me one time, play something that'll reach out and touch people. I just imagine, we'll see a lot of that from everybody this Fri/Sat. in Gulfport. Drive careful and God bless. Thanks again, Mr.Smooth!
J PARKER

Meridian Miss
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2012 7:51 pm     show

Bill if u can work out a earlier slot for me i can come play it for you. I missed it last year but i want to try to help you if possible. Wendell said he would sing for me. News strings on tommorrow if its where you can do it. Email me and etcx. Jim
Billy Carr

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2012 8:28 pm     psg

Hey Jimbo, come on down and bring the Emmons. Your more than welcome to use anything I've got. All we need to do is unplug my Williams and plug into the Emmons and you'll be ready. You know what I use is simple. Hilton Electronic VP, DD3 & NV-112 amp. I don't see a problem with you taking one of my spots on either day or both days. We'll even play a set together if you wish. I feel sure Bill would be ok with it. I don't mind sharing if the slots are all filled. You always help us out at the Fulton shows and we all help each other. It'll be a fun time getting to see Wendell and family again, as well as, everyone else. Come on down, what's mine is yours. I'll even unload the Emmons and set it up for you.
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 12:17 am     Gulfport Show

JIm, bring it all on down. Will work it in somehow....Glad you are doing better too.
Sorry to announce that Bobby Bowman has had to cancel due to his chemo treatments. We really wish him well and that he can beat this terrible disease. Send him lots of prayers for him and strength for his family to see them through this. We will all miss you Bobby.
Wendell Gurley

CARROLLTON, GEORGIA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 3:19 am     Gulfport Bound

Getting ready to hit the road in a few minutes--always a thrill to get to go to a steel show--and especially the one at Gulfport!! Mr. Bill knows how to make everyone feel welcome and we are looking forward to a great time with old friends and making new ones--let the music begin!! (But not till we get there! ha)
Earl Johnson

Gautier,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 5:37 am     Great show

Thanks to Bill Stafford and all that helped put on such a wonderful show. I only got to see half of the second day but it was fantastic. Billy Carr-smoothe as molasses. Rudy Osborne and Bill Ferguson-classic steel at it's best. Bill Stafford-a sound all of his own. Joe Wright-just...WOW. Great staff band.
pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 9:18 pm     Deep South Steel show

Thanks again for all the help getting my stuff on and off the stage, to the backup band both days,without your talent we wouldnt sound that good.I enjoyed hearing some great players also. Billy Carr ,You are smooth as fine china my friend , really tastee chops, Bill Stafford and Bill Ferguson Both we great .Thanks to Mr. Jack Harper for Singing my favorite song,sorry Jack that i counted it off too slow. Also Enjoyed working with Julie and Glenn Musgrove and Brenda on Fridays set, also had a great time working with Lorraine Walden & Gene Breeden Sat. nite. .Hope to see everyone again next year.Sorry if i have forgotten anyone else,im really tired and going to bed. Rudy Smile
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Billy Carr

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 12:57 pm     show

Thanks to everyone who attended the Gulfport show. I enjoyed everybody. Really excellent talent both days. Thank you Rudy & Earl for the comments about the smooth stuff, Ha! That was actually Bill Stafford hiding behind a curtain and playing. I just did the the Milly-Billy Parts! Buck & Mitzi, glad we got to chat a little before my ole voice finally went completely out. Hey! But on the bright side, I can talk now! Rudy, my friend, you remind me of my mentor, John Hughey. I appreciate you taking time to talk about the G2 and other steel stuff. Good to see the wife again, also. I just hate I got sick with the sinus stuff and about lost my voice. Joe Wright? Can play anything, anyway, anytime and what an entertainer. I think he's taken steel guitar to a new level and still has room for more. Bill Ferguson, great job pickin', as well as, keeping us all on track, on/off the stage both days. RJ's daughter, Sarah, what talent. Unlimited is all I can say. She'll be anywhere she wants. I'll come back with more a little later guys. Right now, I need to run some errands. Later
Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 1:48 pm     Gulfport show

A big thanks to MR Bill Stafford for inviting me to be apart of this great show. Thanks to the band, Mr Wendel Gurley and Mr Andy Jones for their help. What a show, thanks again, Leon Champion.
Wendell Gurley

CARROLLTON, GEORGIA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 6:54 pm    

Thank you Leon, and all the talented players who allowed me to share the stage with you--'fraid to start naming, might miss someone, but you all know who you are and I was honored to be with you--enjoyed being with all of you--just waiting for another show!! Let's do it again-------
Billy Carr

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 8:23 pm     show

Back again now! My two favorite singers on steel shows I get to play on, Country Jack Harper & Wendell Gurley were outstanding. A steel players dream is to have these guys on stage. Special thanks to both of you guys for help on the Fulton & Gulfport shows. Excellent. You guys are like family, plus Wendell and myself have something in common. We both have a Glenda, to keep us out of trouble! Lorraine and Gene? A pleasant surprise. She's a sweetheart, as well as, a great singer and Gene kept my ears burning both days trying to see how he was going to come into a lick/break and then out of it. Julie, Becky & Glen? These guys can really cook when they want to, anywhere, anytime. Dottie West to Connie Smith, right into Tanya Tucker is easily covered. These three guys are right in Mississippi and could easily be in Nashville playing on any Monday night. There were so many steelmen there until I'm scared to try to mention everybody. I'd forget some. Bill Stafford deserves a lot of credit. For me personally, it was the best show I've been to on the Gulf Coast. Staff band? The best guys in the world to work with. I enjoyed turning each one loose on my sets to pick. And Romeo Sullivan? I messed with him the whole time he was there but he never did tell me where Juliet was! The guys with Magnolia Music Co. from Gulfport were good folks also. Guess they figured out I was serious when I bought the new 112 they had there and then some other stuff. It was there first steel show and they definitely want to come back for the next one. More later guys! Oh yea? Missed you Bobby B. Maybe we can do a set together later on. Get to feeling better buddy! Love ya!
Pete Walthall

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2012 4:16 am     gulfport

billy carr if you get a chance call me pete walthall 870 574 1076 thanks.
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2012 7:16 am    

Wow is all I can say. What a great show.

Every player was really on their game this weekend.

Thank you Bill Stafford for allowing me to be a part of such a great show. And also for letting me set up with you on Saturday afternoon. That was a real treat.

Looking forward to next year.

Bill Ferguson
Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2012 6:51 pm    

just want to add, that i had a great time at this event. the sound was right on the money. the crowd seemed to enjoy the clarity and quality from any seat in the house. the players were all spot on and the flow was great between players minimal glitches were'nt even noticed. special thanks to bill fergeusen(sp), a co-ordinated guy and extra special thanks to bill stafford, a visionary.
back-up was fantastic and the crowd was marvelous.
even some from paris, france. you never know....
thank you steel guitar players for making this.....
legends, has beens, wanna be's and will be's all under one roof with one goal...fellowship & steel. ego's were non-existant, the music was great.....
country.....
pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2012 10:54 pm     Gulfport steel show

hey,Im ready to do it again and won't even have to use my GPS to keep from getting lost.Shelby and I had Treasure Bay working overtime keeping those great and tasty crabs coming,they are soooooooo good.i want to tell everyone that I love Mississippi.you have a beautiful state and the folks there are wonderful,If i Lived closer id come down and pick with you all anytime ,the hwy system is great except around Jackson,will say it kept me wide awake.lol See ya all next time God Willing. Rudy Very Happy
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Lynn Owsley

Hendersonville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2012 12:32 pm     Great Weekend !!!

"Ya'll" had some great music and fellowship....
Bill Stafford and the gang always puts on a great show !!!
Sorry I missed this one but I will try to make the next one...
Thanks for the forum updates....the 2nd best thing to actually being there...