| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Almost Done With My 12-String Project
Bill Brunt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 8:26 am    

I keep putting it back together so I can play it before it's done.
I did get it sanded and stained before I succummed to temptation this time.

I still have to cut a cover for the electronics out of the same stuff I made the fretboard with. It will cover from the fretboard to the edge of the controls cavity, cut out to accommodate the bridge, pickup. If I had planned any of this, I would have made the cover and fretboard out of a single piece.

Initially, I wanted to tune it based on an 8-string A6 tuning, with the root repeated on top, and the 7th as the top two strings, to make 10, and had not decided on the bottom two. I like the kind of sound you get with the root repeated on top with E7, so I was going to bring it over to the A6.
I decided instead to go with Maurice Anderson's 12 string tuning, since there is so much C6 stuff out there, and Greg Cutshaw has some tabs and sound clips of some of his 12 string licks.

In the pic, the strings don't look like they are directly over the pickup poles but that is an optical delusion Laughing

As said in an earlier post, it is a ToneAligner pickup, and I am loving the sound.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 1:11 pm    

Hey Bill:

The 12 string is coming along nicely. Would love to hear it whe it's completed.

Lenny
Bill Brunt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 3:20 pm    

Forgive the bad playing, and I guess I could have picked a song that used some of the lower strings to show off the tone.

Someday I will repay your generosity with playing worthy of the pickup.

http://www.norbil.com/Music/Faded%20Love%20Homemade%20Steel.mp3
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 10:51 pm    

Looking good!
I love having 12 strings to mess around with.
I am just now starting another 12 string lap steel with a George L E66 pickup.

We can compare "notes" later *pun intended...

Dom

The Great White North
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 3:01 pm    

Bill, is the body of that axe oak? If it is, how much does it weigh? I think I can see legs on it but can't be sure.

I tried a ten string lap steel made from oak a few years ago. It kept sliding forward to the point of almost falling off my lap by the time I finished a tune.
Bill Brunt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 3:48 pm    

Thanks Dom,
I am still struggling with what tuning to use. Right now, I am looking at Maurice Anderson's extended C6 tuning, since I have begun to learn a few tunes on my 6-string C6.

Les,
it is Red Oak. In person, it is really pretty decent looking. To me, the grain gives it a little more personality than Poplar, which was the other hardwood available.
I will say, it is really hard on jigsaw blades.
It is heavy, I have three pieces, bottom - 1", middle-3/4", and top-3/4 inch.
It is about 13 lbs.

Originally, I was going to trim the width of the neck(top two pieces) down to about the width of the fretboard and lose a bit more weight, but ran out of blades and patience.

I should have used just the 1" piece, and the top 3/4" piece. Probably would have saved at least 3 lbs. I didn't know what I was doing, and was afraid the two 3/4 inch pieces would be susceptible to bowing under the stress of 12 strings. Oh well.
It also doesn't really need to be 36 inches long, so I could have saved weight there.

I will probably eventually add legs, but would rather spend my spare time playing right now.

So far, it hasn't been a problem sliding around, maybe it is too heavy to slide:)
If I don't add legs, I will use a stand, and maybe use something non-skid-ish on the bottom for occasional lap playing.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 7:52 pm    

Bill;
whatever tuning you decide on, may I make a suggestion?
Keep a somewhat "standard" tuning (C6, A6, etc) on the middle strings.
This way you can play all the stuff you have memorized on that tuning, and it makes it easy to transition when you play one of your other guitars.
Not to mention any tablature that you want to learn.

On the top or bottom strings or both... have fun and experiment. Swap out different gages, tune to odd intervals, live with it for a while till you really settle on one of them.(I save old used strings just for this purpose.

Once you settle on the string gages to be used, carefully file the nut and bridge grooves to match.
The reason for this is to allow the bar to remain flat and in contact with all strings evenly. (other wise some strings will not sustain as well or may buzz when played hard)

Customizing the grooves is especially important if you have "re-entrant" tuned strings where a wound string is right next to a plain string.

(If all the gages are in order of size from top to bottom, this will not be a problem, and the grooves shouldn't need any customization)

Dom Wink

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2012 3:04 pm    

Laying out my new 12 string

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 12:38 pm    

Here's my entry into the "is it a guitar or a hammered dulcimer" category, on the left:

Dom, I swear I did not copy your shape. Smile I think there are only so many ways to cut a 1x8 plank into a guitar-ish shape.

Can I ask you how you like the 2-tele pickup combo? Are you building your new one to get away from that? I haven't made a pickup decision yet, I was just wondering if the tonal balance on those middle strings is strange because of pickup 1 being back towards the bridge on string 7, then being reset back toward the neck on string 6.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2012 7:30 am    

12 string progress...

6.0 pounds naked newborn

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2012 7:32 am    

[quote="Dom Franco"]12 string progress...

6.0 pounds naked newborn[/quote

Quote:
Dom, I swear I did not copy your shape. I think there are only so many ways to cut a 1x8 plank into a guitar-ish shape.

Can I ask you how you like the 2-tele pickup combo? Are you building your new one to get away from that? I haven't made a pickup decision yet, I was just wondering if the tonal balance on those middle strings is strange because of pickup 1 being back towards the bridge on string 7, then being reset back toward the neck on string 6.

The tone of the two single coils is very good, bright and It can take a little adjusting to the balance by leveling screws...
But the only real problem is the single coil hum and reduced output compared to the George L pickups.

That I why I am making the new 12string wider, and my first one was a prototype. Although I still really love playing it, and I am totally jazzed with the extra two strings.

I suppose there are other pickups that would fit with hotter output and humbucking, but I did this because I got them cheap, and just figured I woul spend the money on a George l that is a known quality..
Dom

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2012 10:22 am    

Dom Franco wrote:

The tone of the two single coils is very good, bright and It can take a little adjusting to the balance by leveling screws...
But the only real problem is the single coil hum and reduced output compared to the George L pickups.

That I why I am making the new 12string wider, and my first one was a prototype. Although I still really love playing it, and I am totally jazzed with the extra two strings.

I suppose there are other pickups that would fit with hotter output and humbucking, but I did this because I got them cheap, and just figured I woul spend the money on a George l that is a known quality..
Dom

Thanks! I ended up with a Wallace TrueTone pickup. I am just now stringing it up today and soldering the electronics together. I'll post a picture when it's done, either here or in For Sale.

I am getting a kick out of the sound of all those low strings. I haven't weighed mine yet, but it is definitely the guitar I'd grab if I had to fend off zombies.
norm mcdaniel

waco tx
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2012 6:47 am     Workbench mess

Dom I have followed most of your postings and do enjoy them. I like your 12 string guitars. I have never built one just 10 string and 6. Also 8 stringers. My question to you why do we builders always seem to have a jumbled mess for a workbench. Mine looks like yours all the time Whoa! Laughing
Keep ona picking and building

Norm McDaniel
Waco Tx
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2012 4:26 pm    

I am so bad at keeping my workbench clear... My only excuse is being so busy. I work two jobs and play lots of gigs so I usually only have a short time in between to get out to the shop.

My better self tells me to put away each tool after use, and I do have a proper place for everything but I don't have patience!

Dom Sad