| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Buds With aluminum/metal necks
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 7:22 pm    

I was just wondering if there was a certain year when sho bud switched to metal necks, or did they just take custom orders for them? I See them every now and then but nowhere as near as their classic wooden necks. Did sho bud ever make mica guitars?
I think I would really enjoy either a mica with aluminum neck, or a Laquer guitar with aluminum necks. Thanks in advance for all your help.
If by chance you see this and also happen to have one for sale please PM me with details. Thanks.
-Jeff

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 7:25 pm    

I believe the Pro 3 came stock with metal necks.

1 Sho~Bud mica guitar at least. I have seen pics of Hal Rugg with one (do a search here and you'll probably find it). I don't think they ever offered them as an option to the average person though. I wouldn't hold my breath trying to find one used anywhere.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 8:57 pm    

My Super Pro had Ali necks, it was an option on that particular model, Ali or wood !
The Pro III Custom I think was probably the first one with Ali necks.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 9:45 pm    

The ProIII was the first offered as a production model, around 1974-75.
Prior to that there were a few custom jobs with metal necks. Hal Rugg had a SD10 Professional with a metal neck. I've seen a couple LDG's and other Bud SD10's & 12's with metal necks, but these were custom one-offs.
My SuperPro has metal necks. It's been explained to me (by a few who should know) that the main difference in tonal qualities between the two types of necks lies not so much with the material of the neck as much as it has to do with the different ways the changers were mounted.