| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Universal tuning help
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 8:21 am    

Some of you universal players, I need a little help. Got a 12 string, 7 pedal guitar that I'm setting up for a friend to make play better, pulls were stiff, not returning and just had loads of other problems. I've gotten all that fixed and guitar is playing great and staying in tune but I fear something may be missing on the B6th tuning. Either missing or tuned wrong. This guitar has the what I call boo-waa pedal on 4th pedal. Pedal 1 is C pedal, pedal 2 is B and pedal 3 is A pedal, Typical Emmons. My question is, what are the tunings on on pedals 5, 6 and 7. By the way, RKR is E lowers and LKL is E raises.It has five knees and don't remember what others do but I think they work E9th mostley.

Either something is wrong or the Universal is limited and to what it can play, espicially in B6th mode. Any help would be appreciated. I know nothing about a Universal tuning. Have pulled several tunings up on net but none match this guitar.--Thanks--Henry

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 8:59 am    

Quote:
Pedal 1 is C pedal, pedal 2 is B and pedal 3 is A pedal, Typical Emmons. My question is, what are the tunings on on pedals 5, 6 and 7. By the way, RKR is E lowers and LKL is E raises.I

Can't answer the initial question, but based on the quoted segment above, you have some issues with the E9th side. First off, the tuning you described is the Day setup (CBA), not Emmons (ABC). The E raises are far better placed on LKR and not LKL on a Day setup, which is the most common placement if you place that lever on the left knee. If you can find a copy of Jeff Newman's Uni setup (the one actually on his guitars, not his Uni course), it would probably get you all fixed up. He used the Day setup.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 9:16 am    

Richard, sorry, it is ABC, had a senior moment there I guess.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Dave Bertoncini

Sun City West, Arizona USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 11:26 am    

Here is what my Williams has
http://williamsguitarcompany.com/E9_B6_Universal_Tuning.htm

My Kline I had years ago had the LKL and RKL reverse of this
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 11:45 am    

It sounds like he is using the Jeff Newman setup.
Here is a pic from Jeffs Universal Book (sorry about the blurry pic):
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 11:48 am    

Thanks vey much Dave, that is it or really close. I'm at work and will look when I get home. I messed with playing the guitar a little and correct me if I'm wrong. There are lots of E9th and C6th licks that I play that I couldn't find on the universal. I really missed that D 9th string also. There were several things that I do with 9th string that I wasn't able to find on the universal. May be another way to do it though. This is a Williams Guitar. Thanks very much--Henry

Dave Bertoncini

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 11:56 am    

Henry
Don't know alot about limitations compared to C6 as I never got too far into the B6 part and haven't played for years...just getting back to it after many years. The D string is available for 9th string an LKL
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 1:01 pm    

I'm not a Uni player, but most E6/B6 uni tunings I have seen have the basic 5 pedals and 1 knee lever from the C6th neck. That should get almost anyone started.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 5:26 pm    

P5 is the same as P5 on the C6 neck, but back two strings: 12++ to C#, 11+ to E#/F, 7- to E#/F
P6 8- to D and 4+ to E (some just release the lever, I prefer leaving it there)
P7 6++ to A# and 5++ to C#

Richard, many Uni setups omit P4, just as many C6th players have dropped it.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 5:36 pm    

That's true Lane. I have to admit, I haven't seen many, if any, that raise the G#'s to A# except the pedal that raises 6 to A# and 5 to C# (like C6 P7).
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 6:11 pm    

Hey Henry,
If it wasn't for that nighth string D, I would be playing a Bb6 Uni. I had one for about four years......had to go back to D-10.
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 8:01 pm    

Dave, that is the setup on this guitar. Thanks to everyone for the input. I can see how universal tuning would be a small advantage but seems that most C6th licks are a little harder to get to or more pedals and lever to get what you want than a plain old C6 th neck and I need all the advantages to play C6th.
If I have anything wrong on this guitar he will let me know but think I got it right. Very Happy

Dave Bertoncini

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 8:43 pm    

Henry
Glad you got it worked out. I am sure the Uni is a compromise...but never having played C6 I probably don't know what I'm missing. I do like buying less strings, one less pickup and lighter weight and mine is Keyless too.
Dave
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 9:53 pm    

it has everything of the standard C6, but none of the new modern levers, just the C drop (and the 7 pedal variant omits p4.
The E9 gets compromised by losing the D string unless you hit P6 with the right foot.
Dave Bertoncini

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 9:59 pm    

Lane...the D is there on the LKL in Williams chart as in the link above or the RKL on the Newman chart above.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2012 10:54 pm    

Quote:
it has everything of the standard C6, but none of the new modern levers, just the C drop

The B pedal actually is the same as the knee lever on the C6th that raises the 6th tone to a dominant 7th. On C6th, the lever that raises the A's to Bb.

And, while not a common C6th lever, the A pedal would be the same as a lever that raised the C notes on C6th to D as some have done or still do. I used to raise my top C to D on my first 2 D10 guitars.