| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  gibson skylark lapsteel
Aaron Shively

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 9:12 am    

has original case, needs at least 1 or 2 new tuners, but everything else works great. i don't know where exactly to price it, because i see them sold between 600-1500 on ebay, the older the more valuable. can anyone tell me what year this is based on the serial number?

William Rasch

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 10:04 am    

looks like 1957 to me
Dennis Coelho

Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 5:06 pm     Topic: gibson skylark lapsteel

You see them listed on eBay at those prices but I don't know how many are actually selling at that.
Stephen Cordingley

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 5:22 pm     Gibson Skylark price

the 2012 VG Price Guide has them at $600-700 in EC/w case
I got mine on Ebay for around $450 in EC w/case but missing the Gibson logo

I wonder about those "Buy it Now" prices... but it only takes one buyer, I guess
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 7:12 pm    

Quote:
...i see them sold between 600-1500 on ebay

The asking price may be 600-1500, but they don't sell for that. I'd say the right price for the one you are selling is between $500 and $550.

I just did an eBay search for Skylark Lap Steel and came up with 9 completed auctions. Asking prices ranged from $600 to $1499. None of them sold, not even the one priced at $600, and it was in nice condition.
Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 8:54 am    

Ebay search of "gibson skylark steel guitar" completed listings yields 20 results. Four of the 20 sold and the selling prices were: $214, $1,300, $261, $363.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 9:37 am    

When I did a search I got 10 listings, with only one sold. It had a supposedly factory installed humbucker. It went for $700 and I'll bet the buyer is hoping that the pickup is a P.A.F....
Doug Freeman

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 11:58 am    

Guitar people who don't know jack about lap steels value these -- at least ask lots of money for them -- because they're Gibson instruments made in that company's heyday and they have the earmarks -- korina mahogany, the peghead logo -- of some of the most sought after guitars they ever made -- Flying V and Explorer. As steel guitars go they're unremarkable, maybe even not very good -- that pickup leaves a lot to be desired. There are so many great lesser cost vintage lap steel alternatives, that the prices people ask for Skylarks are absurd. Happens to be my number one lap steel guitar market pet peeve. Wouldn't mind owning one, if I found it for $100 in a thrift shop, but that's about all.
Aaron Shively

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 12:13 pm    

good info, guys. this is what i suspected, but i had a small hope that, being an old gibson instrument, it would have some intrinsic worth.
Doug Freeman

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 1:04 pm    

They do have worth. Quick sale at $300 or so, slower at anything higher. And I think things are still moving relatively slow these days. Hard to get good prices for any gear you might want to sell.
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 6:51 am    

I read somewhere on internet that they only built this model for 5-7 years 1960 - 67 ? dont quote me... just getting you close to the years, My mother has one and it has a black case and gold interior, she bought it in 1960 -61, guitar is identical and it has held up very well, The tuning pegs are getting old and i`m always afraid of snapping one ,so be careful, The chrome has pitted some from the hand prints from little kids enjoying it, This model of guitar is the reason that I play PSG now, she played this gibson through an entire pregnancy right before I was born and I think it programmed me to strive for that beautiful sound , It definitly has sentimental value to me, I hope you score what you want for it,

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 10:28 am    

Here is a C/P from a vintage guitar site:

Model: SkyLark (EH-500) LapSteel
Available: 1956 to 1968

1956 SkyLark LapSteel introduction specs:
korina (African Limba wood) body, square end body with straight line on bass side, slant mounted pickup, control plate has shoulder to include knob, body beveled around fingerboard, open block markers with numbers, peghead points slightly to treble side, raised plastic logo reads upside down to player, natural finish.
1958 Skylark Deluxe LapSteel specs:
introduced 1958 (discontinued 1959) with dot markers, "Custom Deluxe" stenciled on peghead. 8 string models also available.
SkyLark discontinued 1968.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 10:43 am    

The Skylark was Gibson's student model lap steel. Hence the numbers on the frets (similar to the Fender Champ). Skylarks are considered pretty cool today because of the Korina body and the awesome Gibson logo on the headstock. Some Skylarks are missing the Logo nowadays because guitar players sometimes remove them and put them on their vintage Gibson guitars.
Doug Freeman

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 9:57 am    

Jeez, they made an 8-string Skylark? Anybody ever see one?
Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 2:34 pm    

I used to own one many years ago. They had a nice wide string spacing. The only design flaw I noticed was that the bass end of the diagonal mounted pickup didn't quite cover the eighth string well enough. It made a great seven string though.

There is a photo of an eight string skylark in "Gibson Electric Steel Guitars" by A.R. Duchossoir on page 139.
David Martin

Kingsport, TN 37660 USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 5:31 pm     Skylark

I have one exactly like the photos. I bought it in 1965 with a Gibson amp for $50. Little did I know what it would lead to. My toys have gotten bigger and more expensive since then.