| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  another Question about the bakelite rickenbacker?
Randall Harrington

Waxahachie,Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2000 6:48 pm    

concerning the original post i made on the rickenbacker you guys helped me determine what it was. I got the guy down to $75.00 on it, but the white 2"x2" pickguard piece under the strings is missing. Can I get another piece for it? and the case is trash it might hold together long enouhg to get it home, (the case thing is just a for what its worth thing!) your input will be appreciated
thanks,
Randy
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2000 7:07 pm    

You might have trouble finding an exact replacement for that white metal cover, but don't let that hold you back from getting the guitar. (If it does, pass it on to ME! )
Non-original replacement cases are available from Melobar, I believe. You can also try some of the other options mentioned in the past (baritone ukulele case, dulcimer case, shotgun case are some that come to mind).

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2000 5:15 am    

Not sure which thread it was, but I remember reading about a metal worker who fabricates the metal plates as used on a bakelite Rick. Supposedly he does it beautifully. You might do a search and see if you can find that mention and contact the man.

On a side note. Some players down thru the years have taken the white plates, had them stripped and chrome plated instead. Makes the steel look more like the original.

God bless you with whatever you do. And congratulations on your "find".

carl

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 08 July 2000 at 06:15 AM.]

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2000 6:22 am    

Contact Bob Stone...nice guy, producer of the "Sacred Steel" CD's, and he posts here regularly. He knows a metal worker who can fabricate the part. You may have to paint it white yourself...good luck matching the exact color! You could get a set of matching chorme pieces instead. Congrats...those are wonderful guitars. I love mine! Lew
C. Brattain

Balch Springs, Texas, usa
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2000 10:14 am    

If you have the metal plate made you can have powder coated any color you want.

Have a great day, Chuck
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2000 8:02 am    

Hi Randall,

My friend Jim Heiser made a beautiful metal plate for my pre-WWII Bakelite 6. It's the piece shaped like a comma that the volume control mounts to on the lower bout. Jim did a beautiful job. You can't tell it from the mirror-image original on the opposite bout. He also removed all the dents--and there were plenty--on the other plates. The piece you are talking about is a much simpler shape. You might try getting a piece of sheet brass about the same gauge thickness and making your own. What do you have to lose but a few hours? Jim cut the piece out using the opposite piece for a pattern, then the only tools he used were small hammers and a file. Granted Jim's an expert (he builds street rods and restores vintages cars for a living), but the piece you are trying to make is a much, much simpler shape. Jim is leaving for an extended vacation in a few days, will return by early October. He might help you out later. His number is 352-591-4605.

As to how you finish those metal plates, it's a question of personal preference and budget. I paid $75 to have all 5 plates and the pickup magnets re-chromed. Personally, I think chrome might hold up to pick scratches, etc. better than enamel. Also, matching the shade of white might not be easy. Mine (ca. 1936) were originally chrome, so the decision was easy. Actually, they looked really great in the polished brass state.

Harptone is making me a custom, shaped case with heavy duty handle for $120. I should have it in a week or two. Contact Mike at 800-535-5563.

My Ric is up and running and sounding great. The fish-shaped re-chromed decorative plate from the left upper bout was bent and dented pretty badly in shipping. Grrrrrr! Under Jim's advice I've been straightening it out by working it from the back side using the end of broomsticks and similar wooden shapes. Can't use a hammer at the risk of cracking the chrome. Well, it's almost done. A slow process, but it keeps me out of the pool halls.

When I finish removing the dent and get the case, I'll post some photos.

Happy picking,

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 10 July 2000 at 05:12 AM.]