| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  G2 impressions
Mat Davallet

France (Vendée)
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 2:10 pm    

My experience about steel guitar is short, but i'm lucky and have possibilities to try many guitars since three years including Mullen pre RP D10 1992, Shobud super pro 1985, Emmons LL2 D10 1992, Zum SD10 2010, Zum U12 1983, Carter SD10 2009, PP Emmons U12 early 70's, Wiesner D10 and SD10, WBS, MSA, Franklin, Desert Rose, Derby, Excel…and more. All are fantastic because Pedal steel guitar is magic. I'm like a child when i heard or play some of this even if it's only a piece of wood with metal parts, all folks reading this word can't be in disagreement with that. I spend many time for refurbishhment and adjustment, for steelers here in Europe, trying to find good options or optimisations . I found many quality and failures, some have the tone, but hard to play, some are easy and smooth but sounds cold and some are a perfect combination between sound quality, "staying in tune" and sweetness action. Here in Europe we are very proud and excited when someone talk about Wiesner (now under "Shild" name) an absolute technical improvement close to "Anapeg" guitars with many innovations. For me it's always an ultimate point of comparison.
I read many things about the Mullen G2 before i get one (a used 2010 model), and now it's time to give my opinion without any ulterior motive. I'm not a Mullen dealer, my opinion is neutral and totally personal.
First: "the sound" : This is a good average between an Emmons tone and a modern sound, precise with a good harmonic vibration. You can feel it under your pics. My pickup is around 19k and it's certainly one of the best i own with the Häussel pickups mounted on the WBS european steel guitars. A good head room without agressivity and a perfect sound stability.
Setup: Two hours to get my copedent and adjust pedal and knees, it's a record (bell crank accessibility, screw access, all is good and well reasoned). Your position behind the steel is totally natural. the short keyhead and size of the steel give you a compact impression and the steel came to you as you go to her, like a djembe (hu hu)…
Pedal and knee action: Really sweet and short, the best i play after Wiesner. Return springs are very reactive and you can easily setup your knee with the sweetness you need, the changer is definitively one of the best actually on the steel market. Just a word about Croshaft formed to body offset. I know it make a lot of ink flow and i was very curious to understand how it work. At this time i don't really know, but it works perfectly and that's all !! and you can put your rods really straight from the changer to the bell crank and for sure having the best action and sweetness possible.
Neck: I'm not sure, but i think string space is larger than on pre RP. It's a good point when you practice pick blocking.
If i should deal some negative point !: why is there no god half stop system ??? and no better system to fix the pedal board on the legs like Sierra do.. it's not really important (i don't have any half stop on my copedent) but i think it could be a good add-on on the G3 guitar for the future.
One more time his little review is just my opinion and people who know me knows that i'm passionate and exigent.

Last edited by Mat Davallet on 24 Aug 2012 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 11:43 pm    

Mullen makes a mechanical half-stop that works great. My pre-RP D-12 has it, far better than relying on picking up the 9th string lower for the half stop feel.

I agree that the elegance and engineering in Mullen steels is top drawer. Very easy to work on, change around.
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2012 6:24 am    

Thank You Mattieu, I find your post to pin point the G2 very nicely. Maybe we can keep this post going with honest opinions and how they have helped you, without changing the topic (here's hoping).

I do get similiar emails all the time, so I am sure people do not want to speak publicly at the risk of being torn apart.

But Again thank you sir and let me know if there is anything you need. Welcome to the Mullen Family...
Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 3:13 am    

Fop what it's worth; I've recently imported a Mullin G2, and soon after also one of their first 'Discovery' models. (Does not have the Discovery decal). Both guitars were for someone else!! Sad

On both guitars I found the upper register to have a much fuller sound than my Emmons D10 PP. The Emmons tend to sound quite thin on, especially, the 3rd string as you go up the neck. On either of the mullins' this was not so.
I thought of trying to get a Mullin pickup for my Emmons, but realized that the Mullin sound is part of the package, and the pickup might not sound the same if fitted to the Emmons. Ah well....I'm playing the lotto here by us, and as soon as I win it, My order for my own Mullin will follow suit.
Mat Davallet

France (Vendée)
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 3:22 pm    

Hi Nic

The more i try pickups setings with different steel on different pickup, the more i found significal sound difference with some pickups mounted on different steel. I think i'll try the Mullen pickup on my LLII and give you my opinion soon.
Hope you'll be the next for national lottery !

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2012 2:21 am    

Hi Matt,
I don't know how available these Mullin pickups are.
But, I suppose there's no harm in asking Dixie for a pickup. I'm curious to know your findings if you do manage to fit one of those, as the Sho-Bud also tends to be thin in the upper register.
(Missed Saturdays draw!!....) Smile Very Happy
Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 8:26 am    

O.K Mike you asked for it!

Matthieu is surely passionate about pedal steel and I find his opinions very sincere.
In October 2011 I visited him in Lyon (France) and found that his apartment revolved all around steel guitars.
I was the one that bought his pre RP lacker D-10 Mullen and boy he did a great job on it, refurbishing it and putting on return springs for the E9th neck.

But the issue here is ideas for a G3. Well now I own a Mullen, I think I have a right of speech too. (I owned Fuzzy, Emmons pp, MSA and Sierra guitars) and they all have their good “points”, but the one thing I miss in my Mullen is the interchangeable pick-up. I owned three pick-ups with my Sierra and I found that the pick-up is so important to the sound, that the ability to change them is a mayor selling point to a steelguitar. Sierra and MSA have an advantage in this and both builders also go for the ultimate guitar.
I would immediately change my stock Mullen single coils for a BL 710 or a LG PF2.
The hum my Mullen picks up in my studio is unacceptable (even more as my Sierra was humming when I would slide in the Trutone). Let me be clear about it I love the tone, but not the hum. (It could be that the European electrical standards makes this issue more important)

The second idea is so simple that it is strange no builder has ever thought about it.
The vertical lever usually pulls only 1 string on the E9. My Mullen (pre RP) can easily pull 3 changes. If you put one or two extra pulls on the C6 neck on this crossbar you could also put a kneelever left moving right on the same bar and have an extra lever on C6. Saves a crossbar position.
Mat Davallet

France (Vendée)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 11:00 am    

Hi Bas

I'm very happy for you. I was torn when she left me, it's a great guitar ! Look at the German manufacturer "Haussle pickup" http://www.haeussel.com/ I think steel guitar pickups are not on their site, but you can send a mail for more informations. Those pickups are really fantastic (they made 10 and 12 strings single coil and humbucking). They probably help you for size ajustement.
For the "hum" you can try to fix the ground on a metal part's undercarriage. It's often a problem on single coil. Personally i prefer single coil and i live with that problem. Another solution is "waxing" your Mullen pickup. Tell Haussle to do it (or do it yourself, there's many tutorials on youtube)
I've one George L's E66 and i'll be happy to send it to you for a try if you want. Let me know.

Holland
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2012 6:50 am    

Hi Matt,

thanks for the usefull suggestions. I like to try the E66 so I will contact you by email.