| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Hey, Hey, Hey...Look What I Found
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Hey, Hey, Hey...Look What I Found
Robin Archer

Califon, , USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 3:33 am    

Ran across these while going through a box from my former life.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 6:57 am    

I played at the 1980 show in Meriden CT. Seems like a lifetime ago. I had that button for a long time, but I have no idea what happened to it. Thanks for the memory...!
Robin Archer

Califon, , USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 10:13 am    

I seem to remember a fellow named Harry Guffy who either arranged the show or was very involved with it.
He even had a demo with Master Showman Jeff Newman at he store in (?).
Jeff did his Paycheck/Donnie Lytle classic "Someone To Give My Love To". I couldn't come up with the money to buy anything but my mouth fell open. Probably still up there on the floor.
I used to know a gentleman by the name of Tom Reiley who played a pretty mean steel from somewhere up in CN.
Have you ever run across him?

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 12:21 pm    

Yes, Harry Guffee put the show on. He owned a store called Steel Guitar Country in Meriden CT (later moved to NY). He had a lot of pedal steels in stock... It was an amazing place. I bought a new Emmons D-10 from him in 1979. The price was $1400 at that time!

I remember a Tom Riley from CT, but I haven't heard that name in a long time. I'm not really in the CT loop anymore though. I do remember Buddy Charleton played on the 1980 show, and Terry Sutton from CT. Jeff Newman too. It's hard to remember after 32 years... Winking
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 12:52 pm    

Tom Riley is still around. I think he is playing mostly lap steel. He was building resonator guitars for awhile. He also has a few CD's out. I usually bump into him at the PSGA Show in November. He had a spot on the show a few years ago. I played bass and guitar with him about 30 years ago and he was a monster pedal steel player.