| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Adding pulls to RKR (2nd string lower lever)
Gerald Shaw

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 3:42 pm    

I don't think I've ever seen anyone add any changes to the lever that lowers the 2nd and 9th strings. Is this because it will mess up the tuning of the half stop on the 2nd string? I'd like to put a half tone raise on the 7th string on that lever. Is there a reason I shoudln't do it? Would I need to keep the 9th string lower ( I never use it) or just move it to the 7th string and make it a raise.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 3:46 pm    

Many people have other changes on that lever.

You can get rid of the 9th string change and move it to the 7th string if you want. But, is that 9th string change what is being used to get the half stop on string 2? If so, you will have to play with the 7th string change to get it timed to start pulling the string when the 2nd string gets to D. Sometimes harder than it sounds.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 4:13 pm    

Hey Gerald, I have that same pull on an '81 Zum and a 90's pre Royal Mullen. It works great for me there.

[Edit:] Oops, just re-read your post. You stated half tone, I'm doing a whole tone, like for pedaled Maj7, with no problem at all. I'm sure a half tone will hardly be noticeable on your built-in half stop.
Gerald Shaw

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 4:29 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Hey Gerald, I have that same pull on an '81 Zum and a 90's pre Royal Mullen. It works great for me there.

[Edit:] Oops, just re-read your post. You stated half tone, I'm doing a whole tone, like for pedaled Maj7, with no problem at all. I'm sure a half tone will hardly be noticeable on your built-in half stop.

Jerry do you mean the half step will make it more difficult to tune a half stop on the 2nd string. (with only a 1/2 step riase) To be honest I'm a little fuzzy on how that all works. Thanks for the adivice
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 5:21 pm    

Well, I have erred again. I've got to start reading more thoroughly.

If you are considering replacing the 9th string half step with the 7th string pull, I don't have any answers for you. I was reading just adding a 7th string pull to the 2 and 9 already there. Embarassed

Please ignore my irrelevant entries. I apologize for the confusion and refer you back to Richard's excellent advice.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 5:29 pm    

I would not get rid of the D=>C# change on string 9. I think most players who really use the 9th string a lot find it important, and as you point out, it helps set the half-stop for the D#=>D=>C change on string 2. I guess you could add the 7th string half-tone raise, but the question is what are you going to do with it?

On the other hand, you might want to try Bobbe Seymour's Z-lever, which must be on a knee opposite the E=>Eb lever, and acts in the following fashion:

String 2: D#=>D half step lower
String 7: F#=>G# whole step raise
String 9: D=>C# half step lower

There are some nice, lush chord voicings available with these changes when placed opposite the E=>Eb lever, and Bobbe goes through some of these in his Z-lever videos. Probably not for everyone or every application, but good for some things. In fact, it's pretty easy to just put the 7th string change on there, and then if you want it, tune it up, and otherwise, slack it off. I have a guitar where the Z-lever 7th-string change can be either toggled on and off like that, and also the string 2 half-stop can be toggled on and off similarly.

PS - here's a 10-year old thread on the Z-lever, with lots of repartee from Bobbe. This is from around the time he put out that first Z-lever video.

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/003964.html
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 6:17 pm    

You could use an adjustable barrel type half stop for string 2 to free up that lever for string 7....Having all 3 on that lever and having an accurate 'half feel' off the 9th will be tough and your pull might be tighter

London, ky
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 3:00 am    

Gerald, I just added the 7 string pull and it works fine on my LeGrande II. I did remove the half stop before so that I could use the 9 string as my half stop. Just arrange the pull in the proper hole in the changer and bell crank so it will pull an exact half tone and not mess with your 2nd and 9th strings. Mine works fine and I really like it. I got my parts from Jerry Roller,I'm also adding the 7th string lower on my A pedal cross bar so the 7th will tune with A&B pedals down.This way your 6th minors will be in tune without having to slant the bar. It's really easy to do.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 3:58 am    

I have three changes on the E9th neck and one on the C6th neck on the RKR, on my Franklin.

Lower 2nd string full tone with half tone lower feel stop. Raise 7th string a half tone. Lower 9th string a half tone. Lower 2nd string on C6th neck half tone.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 6:56 am    

I also lower the 10th string a whole tone using that knee lever. It makes a great drone!

My Copendant

Some sounds with the 9th and 10th string lowers

I've also got a ton of separate tabs with sound files showing the many chords that lowering the 9th string a half tone provides.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger