| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing Formica?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 11:43 am    

How hard is it to change the formica on a steel guitar? Does anyone do this as a service for steel players?

Trenton, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 12:08 pm    

Anyone who used to install mica countertops (before we all went to solid surface material) should be able to do it for you.

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 3:33 pm    

I do.
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 3:59 pm    

I think the hard part is not putting the mica on, but getting the old mica off! I assume a heat gun and several sizes of scrapers would make it go easier.

This page has videos that you can download that include how to remove the old laminate, and three on replacing it:

http://www.steelguitar.com/restore.html

I think it means stripping the body right down, so a lot of work involved.

If you want a simple solution to changing the look, read up on vinyl wrapping the guitar. They use this stuff to change colors on motorcycles and cars, as well as to add advertising graphics to trucks. I think they say you get 3-4 years on a vehicle, but should get more on a psg. There have been some posts on this before:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=209170

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=210412&highlight=vinyl+wrap

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=228688&highlight=vinyl+wrap

And what is cool, you can easily remove it and try a new color: hey! A new guitar every year for a lot less than a G2!

Doug

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 5:02 pm    

Douglas Schuch wrote:

This page has videos that you can download that include how to remove the old laminate, and three on replacing it:

http://www.steelguitar.com/restore.html

Doug

I would warn anyone from the restoration tips presented in those videos. I bought that guitar from John Fabian. I paid top dollar and I knew the what is done in those videos had to be undone and the guitar had to be properly restored by Mike Cass. The guy doing the work in the video was supposed to be an Emmons expert, but every bellcrank was on backwards, the cabinet was not put together properly, the pickup wiring interfered with pull rods -- let's just say it was a mess. It sounded like an Emmons, but it did not sound like a Wraparound until Mike Cass restored the guitar.
If you do not believe me that mistakes are being made in the video, judge by yourself. Go ahead and watch the mica job, for example. Hear how Fabian and Charles Reese are proud that they are reusing the original mica pieces that were on the guitar, and watch as they need to use a laminate trimmer to trim the excess off the edges.
Why is there excess mica when they used the original mica? Whoops.
From the work I have seen out there I think nearly all the so-called Emmons restoration guys learned from this video because I see the same mistakes over and over.
If you want the job done correctly, ask Mike Cass to do the restoration for you. You will get a tremendous sounding and tremendous playing guitar.
If you don't care, use someone else and you can have a guitar botched up like the Wraparound in those videos.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2012 8:30 am    

Forum member Harley James has replace the formica on his P/P, I'm sure he would be happy to share his experience if you contact him....
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 4:39 am    

Bob you`d be surprised how easy formica comes off,

A sunnyside product called XYLOL in a squirt bottle....Once you start delaminting , squirt the xylol into the opening and it dissolves the glue pretty fast (seconds) while pulling the formica back and procede, The magic is XYLOL, dont snap the formica, Keep the old panels for copying anew

When reinstalling the new panels (cut a little bigger)that are cut close in size, the extra that hangs off gets taken off with a router and a formica bit, finalizing the edges with a fine raked flat file...

By the way, they spray the glue onto the woodwork and the panels and let them dry to a dry touch before they ajoin them together, once they are joined it is stuck like instant glue , you have to get it right immediatly, then pressure roll or slap the panel alot to get the air out, If you make a mistake XYLOL is your best friend
(CAUTION Very Flamable stuff and a dirty job)

Good luck Your 20 minutes from being done Razz

Nashville
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 5:52 am    

I agree with Chris. I've seen so many guitars with poorly installed mica. Mike Cass is the man. Only person I ever trusted with my Emmons guitars.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 7:26 am    

I changed an Excel guitar from black to white.
However an Excel is not built like most of the other brands of pedal steels. It is an unique type of construction. The formica in not really an integral part of the guitar. It just slides into aluminum trim pieces. It was really quite easy to re-mica this guitar.

Before:

After:

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 8:00 am    

I know ours can be very hard to get off with the glue we use these days. The older stuff, not near as hard. What kind of guitar is this? If I had just the body, no parts and pictures first, I bet we could do it.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 9:19 am    

It's a Carter S-10.

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 9:35 am    

Never even seen one. Can you believe that. Well off to St. Louis, but send me some pics if you want, should be no problem, as long as you take it apart and put it back together.

Mike