| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best Little Whorehouse In Texas Original Broadway Cast....
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2012 10:05 am    

I know that I'm probably late to the party here guys, but I recently picked this disc up and the steel player is just great! Of course, he didn't get a credit so does anyone know who it is?

Robbie

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2012 1:06 pm    

I believe that was Lynn Frasier of Austin,Texas. He came to New York City with the show and lived in Englewood,NJ for a few years. A great player and fun to hang with! JS
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2012 9:40 pm    

Thanks John.....I'll look him up...

Robbie

Queensbury, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2012 7:46 am     Best Little

try Josh Dubin, I know he was the original with Ernie Reed on fiddle.
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2012 5:32 pm    

I also think it was Lynn Frazier on that recording. Monster picker as you can hear from all the great ideas he has and executes.

Joe
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2012 7:05 pm    

my record says the rio grande band w/lynn frazier..

i learned the show from this record and pretended to follow the charts at the music circus in sac a couple of times.
Ed Iarusso

East Haddam, CT US of A
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 5:42 am    

I have a recording (album) of the Rio Grand Band with Doug Jernigan as the steeler.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 7:29 am    

ed.. i have that album too! some great stuff...kinda obscure album, i think.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 7:35 am    

Same Rio Grande Band?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 7:35 am    

As I understand it Doug played on the Rio Grand Band's album, then they were picked to back the "Best Little Whorehouse" production. Doug didn't want to go to NYC,so Lynn took the steel seat..Josh Dubin was an alternate to Lynn and so was Harvey Shapiro..All excellent players...JS
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 7:36 am    

Thanks John.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 7:52 am    

Thanks for the info guys. Now, where can I find the original score for that show?

Robbie

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 8:02 am    

I did the show here in Austin back in 1985, and the score is written out for the steel. You'd be surprised at how complicated a relatively simple, almost cliche'd steel run looks in standard notation! Laughing

Lynn Frazier, whom I've known for 4 decades, is a monstrous player and he literally "wrote the book" for the show. Other notable players who've done long runs of the show are Neil Flanz and Jim Loessberg.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 8:02 am    

Josh was Lynn's understudy,Got, me and my mom Ticket's Mom had adopted Josh as one of her own for a short while!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 8:31 am    

Josh was Lynn's understudy,Got, me and my mom Ticket's Mom had adopted Josh as one of her own for a short while!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 9:28 am    

Are there charts availabe anywhere?

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 9:23 pm    

I did this show when it came to London's West End (at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane) in 1981. The production team from NY came over to rehearse and mount the show and we had the two Broadway 'leads' (Carlynn Glynn and Henderson Forsythe) for our six-month run.

Lynn's steel parts were - and still remain - an enormous challenge!!! I still love to play the show, though - there are some pretty good tunes in it.
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2012 9:54 am    

Hi Roger,
I've been listening to the cast recording for days in a row now and Lynn's playing is just amazing. Again, I don't know how I've missed it for all these years. I never was a big fan of the movie and maybe I thought that they were one in the same. I'm glad to have discovered it. It really is one of my fave steel sets ever.

Robbie

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 10:56 pm    

Lynn Frazier rocks!!
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 11:08 pm    

I did this show at the Phoenix Theatre about 5 or 6 years ago for a run that lasted 3 months. I loved doing it!! Ben Brogdon played bass in the Broadway version in NY.

Billy Easton