| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 chips????
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2012 9:10 pm    

How long have they made the 112 where by you can not change out the chips?

Thanks
Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533
Howard Smith

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2012 9:45 pm    

No Comment

Last edited by Howard Smith on 24 Aug 2012 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2012 4:38 am    

It's still not all involved the unsolder the chips (marking the proper orientation of course) and then solder in some DIP sockets from you local Radio Shack, and off you go.

Probaly add 1/2-1 hour to the conversion.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2012 4:42 am    

Depends on the circuit board and how its made whether its a simple task to remove the chips and solder in sockets (or solder in the new chips). If they used a multi-layer PC board it takes special equipment to work on them.

I haven't looked at one of the new model PC boards so I can't say for sure. Ken Fox would know.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2012 7:03 am    

When did this change occur?

Larry

Phone: 971-219-8533
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2012 9:02 am    

So.............. doe's that mean that the newer more expensive models are made in China AND you can't switch out the chips? Not good if your wanting to buy a brand new 112.
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2012 1:11 pm    

The IC sockets proved too costly, I presume.

You CAN switch out the chips, but it is quite a bit harder. Need to be good with a soldering iron. I don't care what anyone says, you can ruin the circuit board! No more "simply plugging them in"

Personally, I would have kept the sockets if I were at Peavey making decisions.

Mike Brown knows all about how steel players like to tweak their amps with those good Burr Brown chips.

I'm sure it was out of Mikes hands though.

Ken Fox is right about those OPA2134PA chips. They're better. A lot better.

Last edited by Curt Langston on 25 Aug 2012 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2012 1:17 pm    

I have them in both 112's and a 1000. Great sound.
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2012 3:18 pm    

I suspect the PC board automated component insertion is the reason sockets are no longer used. Its rare to see a socket on a printed circuit board anymore. In fact most have went to Surface Mount Technology (SMT) for most circuit board components.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2012 3:41 pm    

SMT....

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2012 8:43 am    

Surface mount components are not that hard to replace...BUT you need some pretty expensive equipment to do the work. Soldering irons, of any type, are out of the question. Hot air soldering/desoldering/vacuum systems are what has to be used.

SMT work is high precision work (usually requires an magnifying lens), but, like good soldering iron technique, isn't too hard to learn. It just costs a small fortune to tool up!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2012 10:40 am    

I'm not saying the new production NV112's use SMT, just mentioned that as most new equipment does use this.

Peavey has used it for years, even in US produced equipment. I have a Peavey XR600F P.A. head (Circa 1998/99) and it has some SMT in it. I was given the head as it didn't work and the club owner replaced it with a new model. I got into it but I don't have the equipment to work on SMT so I shipped it off to Peavey for repair.

I used to have a NASA soldering certificate as I worked in a NASA PC board repair depot that was staffed by the contractor I was working for (Bendix Field Engineering). But that was 1968, before SMT, and in fact a lot of the boards had discrete components and not IC's.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2012 5:07 pm    

Dick Sexton here on the forum knows where to get the chips. He did two of my 112's and the sound like a million bucks! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2012 5:57 pm    

Curt Langston wrote:
Personally, I would have kept the sockets if I were at Peavey making decisions. Since they're made in China with decreased labor and production costs, you would think that Peavey would have left the IC sockets in the design.

It's time for... MOSTLY USELESS TRIVIA WITH MATTHEW!!!
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the cheaper skill would make it harder to do IC sockets.
In reality, the labor talent doesn't really matter that much. The first thing that happens is stuffing the boards. After that, the boards are suspended over a pool of molten solder such that just enough solder gets on the leads to make a proper solder joint. Not only is this obviously a lot faster, but also takes a lot less training than soldering each lead individually, which may or may burn out an IC.

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2012 2:21 am    

That is called "wave soldering".
Fred Nolen

Mohawk, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2012 3:51 am     Made in China

Peavy? Made in China? Is nothing sacred?
Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2012 8:37 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
That is called "wave soldering".

Oh ok, thanks.

1981 MSA "The Universal" Bb6 S-12 9/5 | 2024 Excel Robostar Bb6 S-12 8/5 | 2009 MSA SuperSlide C6 S-12 | Peavey Nashville 112
Steve Pawlak

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 1:21 pm     N 112 chips

Newbie here
So what do these chips do and what difference if any can you hear after they are replaced?
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2012 7:23 pm     Re: N 112 chips

Steve Pawlak wrote:
Newbie here
So what do these chips do and what difference if any can you hear after they are replaced?
Mainly (a lot) less distortion and lower noise-floor.
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 10:22 am    

OK guys, As you can see, this Nashville-112 was made in the good old USA. It arrived in my shop yesterday, 8/23/12. To my knowledge, no Nash-112's are made in China. Please continue to support Peavey dealers of your choice. We need you! Smile
Jim Pivarnik

Port Townsend WA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 11:11 am     N112

Duane, Thanks for saying that. I've seen over a dozen new 112's and all say made in the US of A. We all need to be aware of the rumors that we spread.
Fender Deluxe reverb
Gold Tone 8 string
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 1:45 pm    

According to a local Peavey dealer, almost all solid state is made in China. I remember seeing a stock of Peavey amps, in boxes, at a (steel guitar) music store a couple of years ago and all the boxes had "Made in China".
Howard Smith

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 5:31 pm    

Jack you are correct....I was a factory rep. in the music industry for 24 years, and Peavey was one of my competitors. Most of the stuff they make is made in China. Their is no way they could compete price wise with Chinese products if they didn't do that. I'm not sure but I'm thinking that the Nashville Series was an American specific product, and I believe they are made in the US. But if it says made in America, then it is. They have to put made in China if that where its made.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2012 4:26 am    

The vast majority of amps are never modded, so it makes little sense for a manufacturer to incur additional cost to make an amp "moddable". Surface-mount technology is highly reliable and cost-effective for high quantities, so manufacturers (who are financially capable) love the idea. The SMT components themselves are cheap, but extremely narrow in scope and design. What this means is that even if you were certified and had the equipment to work on the stuff, you can't do much "modding" because there are so few component choices available. It's not a big deal to install a component that's a little bigger or smaller, or of different design, in a point-to-point wired chassis, but on an SMT board, it's impossible.

Modern advances in robotics design now permit an old Fender-type amp to be built, wired, and soldered, quickly and completely, by a machine...but I don't think it's ever going to happen because the ROI isn't there.
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2012 10:34 am    

Larry seems ive been reading about this change in the last year. they can still be changed its just not plug and play anymore so prob in the last year or 2, dont know exactly