| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  West Texas Steel Guitar Association-Sunday August 5th Jam
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 2:20 pm    

Hello Fellow Steelers!
Just a quick not to let everyone know that we will have our next West Texas Steel Guitar Association Jam/Meeting on Sunday August the 5th. We will plan to meet at the Middle School Auditorium again at 1:30. If you want to play, have about 3 or 4 songs ready to play. We have had several people ask about the "Share/Learn a Lick" section of the program, and we will try to have this after the Jam. So the Jam will start promptly at 1:30. I'll have the backup band ready to go. Please let me know if you would like to play, so I can have an idea of how many are picking. If you want a particular LICK you'd like to learn, then post on here or email me the song or portion of a song you'd like to know. Unless it's 4 wheel drive, we should be ok to teach it, and if not, I'll call Steve Palousek and he'll help. We are looking forward to a great jam, and hope to see you there.
Larry Toliver
WTSGA
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 4:31 pm    

Larry, most any lick you do is probably one I need to learn. I'll play if you need me to, but if you get a loaded show, I'm ready to be an observer. It'll be fun either way.
Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 4:53 pm    

if the creeks dont rise I will try to be there also, providing my back will let me. Danny you guys sounded good last night , sorry I had to leave early but my back was hurting pretty bad from the fall I took earlier this week, not to mention 5 hrs. out in the hot sun with Curtis Potter and Justin Trevino, but still a great day overall. See you guys on the 5th.
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2012 11:55 am    

Thanks Doyle. It's fun to play when you've got a crowd. It was good to see ole Loessberg. PushPull to volume pedal to Nashville 400. Tone to the bone and the boy can sure enough play. I think if he keeps practicing, he's gonna be sure nuff good one of these days, don't you? And what can you say about Curtis Potter. It don't get no better than that. You need to play at the next meeting. I'll loan you the Hybrid Zum for 30 minutes if you promise to leave some licks in it.
Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2012 12:37 pm    

I was telling LT thats its sad when you get to the point that when you sit down at your steel you never know whats gonna happen ! Sometimes it just flows out with licks even you didnt know you knew and the next time you cant even tune the dang thing by ear. probably would help to practice once in a while too... reckon ? Laughing We are suppossed to back some pretty good names out of Nashville this month and I am praying God please let it be a good day then ! In fact I should be out practicing right now instead of on here ! Confused Doe rey mi fa so la ti doe Oh Well
Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2012 12:41 pm    

and oh yeah Danny... 30 minutes of my playing can sometimes sound like a lifetime , and that makes me Mad
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2012 11:18 am    

Doyle, ever time I've tryed to use my back trouble as an excuse not to play at a WTSGA meeting, Jim Keeney goes out and unloads my guitar and helps set it up. And he's even nice enough to help load it back up when I finish making all that weird noise with it.
Jim Keeney

Brownwood, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2012 8:36 am     wstga

Doyle & Danny you guys be sure and be there, I bet we can get you set up no problem, glad to help.
Doyle has not played for us in a while, maybe he could be the headliner. It's time to have some fun.
See ya'll

Jim
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 6:26 am    

You guys are funny! Let's get ready to pick and have a good time. We should have a few new faces this meeting. I'm expecting Brian Hall from Hamlin to show up, and he know a lot of steel pickers. I'm getting some songs ready myself, so gear up and lets go! The WTSGA is coming!
Larry T
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 1:49 pm    

Time for a bump on this... still hoping to attend, I have buddies in Sweetwater I can visit.
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 9:24 am    

Stephen, that would be a big deal. Please call me at 325.518.3947 and let's make plans. We'll start at 1:30 pm on Sunday. We'd love to have you pick. Give me a call. Larry
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 11:19 am    

Larry, I don't think we have any rules against Dobros or lap steels and certainly not against gosple music. We would love to have some diversity as long as it's played with a bar. (And no Billy Tibbs, not that kind of a bar.) It's a family atmosphere, cool and comfortable in the audutorium.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 4:20 pm    

Larry Toliver wrote:
Stephen, that would be a big deal. Please call me at 325.518.3947 and let's make plans. We'll start at 1:30 pm on Sunday. We'd love to have you pick. Give me a call. Larry

Durn... I feel downright special, in a good way!

Larry sure was nice... I assured him I'd been playing at least a month... he agreed that I could make the rest of them sound better by playing. Watch out, Merkel!
Clinton Damron

Cleburne Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 11:05 am    

I'm hoping to be able to attend this. Work has had me traveling lately. I've been to Oklahoma 4 times and Colorado once(may be going back about the time this is happening). It'll be last minute if I get to make it.
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 6:10 pm    

Clinton, surely you need to check a deer lease somewhere near Merkle bout that time. Come on by, you one of us.
I'd like to thank the Keeney's for comming by when I was playing in their hometown Sat nite. Wish I could have talked longer, but the break ended and I had to get back up there and torture those people some more.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2012 10:09 pm    

Well, sorry to say I'm doing Sweetwater a week early... my buddy convinced me to come out this weekend to attend the Sweet H-2-O festival he's putting on... so I won't be here next weekend. Thanks for the hospitality anyway, Larry... I'll have to make it some other time.

The event has a Facebook page, you can google it as written above... not sure who Leon Russel's son is but he'll be here. And I might even get to play some 8-string dobro if I behave.
Bobby Rountree

San Angelo, Texas, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 3:43 pm    

Well....I am going to try to make it this time. I will have to come in disguise...since I am ashamed to show my face after the way I played the last time. Larry,Danny & Randall....you sure make it look a lot easier than it is. I always enjoy yours and everyone else playing. Hope to see you there.

"Tree"
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 4:26 pm    

Trees, you sounded like an old pro. Is there no instrument you can't play. I was in your neck of the woods Saturday nite. Played at the Stagecoach.
Bobby Rountree

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 4:31 pm    

Darn...I wish I could have been there. I was at the VFW. I will be playing bass at the Stagecoach Wed nite.....In fact every Wed nite Bob Tuttle and I are....Working with two different bands that alternate Wednesdays there.
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 4:22 am    

Hey Bobby,
It is good news to hear that you will be there. It's been 3 months since we had our last meeting, and I'm ready to get together. By the way, your picking' sounded Fine in my book. As Danny said, you can play a bunch of instruments....wow! Glad you're on our team! See everyone there! The address is 3rd & Ash street at the Merkel Middle School Auditorium at 1:30. The last railroad crossing to the West in Merkel is Ash street. So, cross the tracks go 3 blocks, turn right and Voila! you are there!
Larry T
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 9:23 am    

Bobby, I didn't leave any licks worth keepin on that stage, but you can leave me some if you'd like.
Bobby Rountree

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2012 8:31 am    

Well....Sorry everyone, but I am not going to be able to make the show this time. Have a good 'un....and....Danny.....go ahead and use all four finger picks !!...If ya'run short...Shady kin fix some new ones for Ya'. Ya'll have a great afternoon !!!
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2012 3:25 pm    

We had a good time at the jam. Players included Jim Keeney, Leon Langley, Larry Toliver, Clent Kniffen and his band and yours truly. I apologize for not getting Doyle Mitchell in the mix, we had a member of the backup band that had other obligations and had to leave at our normal quittin time. I had Doyle Zummified if we'd just had time. We'll give Doyle and Debbie a spot of their own next time. We missed the San Angelo Bobbys and Randall Palmore. It was good to see Clint Damron and Bryan Hall present. Also Larry Lange from Wichita Falls. Thanks to Kacey Toliver, Dwain Pack, and the agrivating Billy Tibbs for their fine backup work. Larry, help me if I missed someone.
Clinton Damron

Cleburne Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2012 6:24 pm    

Made it home without any problems. Maybe one of these days I'll actually be at a point where I can play a lick with y'all. Some great players on that stage.
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2012 5:09 am    

Well, Danny....you just about covered it! It was a good afternoon of steeling' in big ole Merkel, Texas. Lots of good country music, good picking', good singing', and plenty of STEELIN'. We were also talking about having a JAM at my house in the next month or so. This one will be different, as we will just have steel players who want to jam or learn, come over for an all day or all afternoon get together. You can play, share, or teach...and I'll provide GRUB! I've got a big garage, and we can have a ball. It'll cool off late September, or October and we'll make this an annual event. I'll start a separate post in a week or two. So get your steels out, and come and join us for a special good time of steelin'.
Email or call me at 325.518.3947 if you think you might want to join in.

Larry Toliver
West Texas Steel Guitar Association