| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Critique my PSG learning plan
Shaffer Smith

Oklahoma City, OK
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 10:32 pm    

I'm considering a slightly unusual beginner learning plan for myself and I'd like to hear feedback from both seasoned players and those who have played a short time.

I think I want to separate my MUSIC lessons from my INSTRUMENT lessons.... with 2 separate teachers.  The MUSIC teacher being a music professor at the local university who knows nothing about the PSG.  He's willing to do an independent study on music theory with a heavy emphasis on chord construction and chord theory.  Then of course I'd take PSG lessons from a 2nd teacher to learn the logistics of the instrument.

I have a really good ear for music and have messed around on the 6 string for 20+ years and learned everything there by memorizing chord shapes and just playing what sounded right, not really understanding why.  I guess I could do the same with PSG, but when learning anything else in life, learning how something works is always faster than memorizing every possible outcome.

I've yet to find someone in Oklahoma City who teaches PSG, so unfortunately my instrument lessons may have to come in the form of books and YouTube. It seems that most of that available material is focused on HOW to play specific songs and licks, memorizing grips etc. (all great stuff), but I don't see much material on the WHY (chord theory, fretboard logic etc.). Is that because it's pretty much assumed that anyone graduating to the PSG already has a solid grasp on these concepts?  Maybe there's some good material out there I haven't found yet.

Am I over thinking this?  Is my learning plan too scientific?
Any feedback, critique, personal experience and information is welcomed.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 11:06 pm    

I think it's great that you've got a handle on the process of mastering a musical instrument. There are patterns to learn in music (theory and harmony)and patterns to learn on your instrument. Pedal Steel in particular has patterns on many levels. By design, it's really multidimensional! Once you learn to coincide the patterns and laws of harmony with the patterns on your axe, you'll be well on the road to really knowing what you're doing. Also once you have a good grasp of theory, it will apply the same to every musical instrument you might want to learn! Trying to find a steel teacher who can relate to this concept is the key. A good one should be able to do both, but those are rare. Good luck!

Don't be afraid of just learning a few idiomatic steel licks and tricks though. You can always analyze why they sound so cool and why they do what they do later when you understand more about the big musical picture. In the meantime, you'll be amazing your friends in no time.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 11:26 pm    

I am finding great treasure in Jeff Newman's material. He's got a funny way of explaining stuff,and his enthusiasm is like a virus. RIP Mr. Newman.
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 12:23 am    

What Rick said.. Smile
JJ
Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 3:28 am    

That's basically the same as my approach Shaffer, sans the formal teachers. I have found http://www.skobrien.com/ChordFinder/ChordFinder.asp to be helpful, just wish I could get my copedent to "stick" so i wouldn't have to keep putting it in. Really wish he would make an iPad app out of it!

Above all, I am really having fun with this!
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 4:36 am    

You can know all the theory in the world but it won't help you with bar handling and picking hand. Those are two of the basics that must be dealt with first. There is no one "must be this way" for these but there are generally accepted ways of holding
the bar and picking.

Blocking, which will come with time, is another mechanical thing that needs to be conquered.

Since you know guitar, its relatively easy to comprehend a lot of the chording on the Pedal Steel. Like a 6 string guitar with certain grips you can go up and down the neck and get all the basic chords. The same thing with the steel, which I look at as one big chord inversion machine. Once you get past the chording its where "the rubber hits the road" and all the licks - from basic "must know" to everything else.

Once you get the very basics, the Jeff Newman "Up from the top" video series which concentrates on the A and B pedals and the "E" and "F" knee levers is a very good next step. I'm teaching my wife and this series brought everything in focus for her.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 6:30 am    

I honestly think it is a great plan. A lot of players don't take the time to learn music theory, even at the most basic level. I don't believe you need a Masters degree in music, but every player should be able to at least grab the concepts of chord construction, harmony theory, and be able to take a piece of paper and a pencil and be able to write out a scale - tell what notes are the 2, 4, 7 etc... And, be able to find those scales on the guitar. That is the minimum that I think a new player (or even someone that's been playing a while) should know.

Then having a dedicated PSG teacher that get down to the nitty gritty and teach you how to play the instrument. With the knowledge you gained from the music teacher, you should be able to figure out the "what's and why's" of what he is teaching you.

I personally would prefer to have the 2 facets of learning to play, taught to me separately as you have described, and actually that is how I learned.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 6:48 am    

Sounds like a good plan to me. When I was in high school I went to a summer music school where I had three classes, one in theory, one on my instrument (trumpet) and one more where everyone played together as a band. Different teachers, different classrooms. Pretty good learning experience.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 6:53 am     Re: Critique my PSG learning plan

Hi Shaffer:

I think you are right on the money. I believe the good players have learned and practiced technique, and know the theory to able to play what they hear in their head (there's something Jeff Newman always stressed in his materials).

I have been playing 6-string for 50 years, but got my first PSG two months ago. Although it is mostly a hobby, I have been studying music theory for years and it has made learning guitar, bass, piano, and drums much more satisfying.

Despite all that, I am finding the PSG frustrating. I'm still learning the mechanics of being able to put the steel over the right fret while thinking about which strings to pick and which pedals/levers to engage! I have all of Jeff Newman's materials for E9 and quite a lot of Joe Wright's videos as well. I live in a small city and I don't know of any instructors around, so I'm hoping with the materials I have and lots of practice, I'll get there.

I've had the guitar out to the last few band practices and although I've supplied a few hilarious moments for the guys, it has helped me want to get better in a hurry and has generally sounded okay.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Mike
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 6:54 am    

At least take a couple live lessons from a pro level steel player. Skype lessons would be almost as good. I would contact Joe Wright for that. There is no substitute for direct contact with an instructor.

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 5:43 pm     E9th Theory and Number System

Shaffer,

Get a hold of Mark van Allen's "Music Theory and Number System for E9 Pedal Steel Guitar"...fantastic course consisting of (2) audio CD's. Sit down at your guitar and go through those a few times (total time maybe 2.5 hours for both CD's). You won't find a better music theory course, and it's all related to E9 pedal steel.
Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 5:44 pm    

You might want to take a look at Mark VanAllen's 2 CD set. All about theory and how it relates to PSG. Wish I had this 30-some years ago. Best of luck.

Oklahoma City, OK
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 4:30 pm    

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's good to hear what's important from people who are farther along than I am. And to hear confirmation that theory will help me grasp things.

Pete, that chord finder is cool. Thanks for sharing.

Jack, you're spot on. That's actually my struggle right now. I just ordered my first steel and when it showed up it was the first one I've ever seen one up close. I don't know anyone who has one, plays, one, and without a teacher in my area I'm sitting here saying "how do I sit, how do I hold the bar, where do I out my feet.... Lots of good info on the forum and online, but I'm so afraid of starting with bad technique and training muscle memory in a way that will inhibit my future progress.

Bob, the Skype lesson suggestion is a fantastic idea. Something I never thought about. Might be my best alternative if I don't find someone.

John and Lynn. Thanks for the suggestion of Mark VanAllen. I ordered his course today based on your suggestion. He and I actually ended up emailing back and forth all day. He seems like a super nice guy and very willing to freely share his knowledge.

Thanks again everyone.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 6:02 pm    

There has to be other players and possibly teachers in the Oklahoma City Area. Why not start a thread in STEEL PLAYERS looking for other players in the OK City Area.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
John Shadid

Oklahoma City, OK
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 8:32 pm    

Hey Shaffer, I live in northwest okc. I'd be glad to get together sometime and teach you some tips to get started. I had a guy from the forum give me a short lesson after I'd been trying to learn to play by myself for a year. Just watching someone in person and seeing their technique improved my playing immensely and I'm eternally grateful. Anyway, email me or PM your number, and we'll get together.
Steve Humes

Tampa, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 2:12 am    

Dedicate and allocate practice time to specific, defined goals. The world is full of information, but it is up to you to process and use it to the best of your ability. Repetition is retention, and it is very easy to get overloaded with information.