| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Alt.Country
Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 7:58 am    

OK, this is by no means a scientific experiment, but last night, I had my digital cable box playing the alt.country station(they actually changed the name of the station to "Americana"), and 4 of the 5 songs that I listened to had PSG heavily showcased on the tunes. Then, just to see what the other country station was playing, I turned to the modern country channel, and only 1 of 5 songs had any PSG. Hmmmmmm.........

I know that this is no big revelation about the state of country music. But I thought it was pretty interesting. I have seen a lot of people slagging off the alt.country genre in the past, and I know it might be too rockin for lots of you. But at the same time, I think it is wonderfull that the instrument we all know and love still has a contemporary type of music where it is featured prominantly.

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 8:33 am    

Which alt.country artistes are they playing?
Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 9:16 am    

Whiskeytown, Uncle tupelo, for sure, and the others I did not recognize. As for the Country artist, I didnt recognize any of em. Pretty much sounded like the shite that they play on MTV, not country music.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 10:24 am    

Matt,
Whiskeytown and Uncle Tupelo have been disbanded for years now as far as I know. The current projects of the main guys from those bands are not using steel for the most part. Chamberlains, small dry snare drums and Hammonds are the latest thing used by bands that are trying to get over by seeming rootsy and sincere.

Bob
Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 11:29 am    

Bob, actually Son Volt had some nice sounding PSG or Lapsteel work on a few of the tunes on their last album(Sebastopol). as for the other half of the defunct Uncle Tupelo, Wilco is doing pretty much exactly what you said. But being a vintage key freak, gimme a melotron, and some maracas and go nuts!

I wasnt trying to make any real value judgement on things, just thought that it was kind of odd.
Robert Todd

Atlanta, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 12:38 pm    

The Derailers, The Mavericks, BR549, The Billygoats, The BlueJays are all alt country bands featuring PSG
Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 7:05 pm    

How about Wayne Hancock, Rex Hobart and of course the Waco Brothers.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 7:11 pm    

What "IS" Alternative Country??? Alternative to what?? I mean I've heard this and I don't listen to Radio(any station); but I just don't understand the category......can someone please explain and I'm being Honest and serious.
Ricky
Bob Miano

Bergenfield, N.J. (home of "some" country music) - deceased
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 4:04 am    

Hey Ricky, I don't know if there is a real answer to your question (what IS alternative?).....I just think it's an
alternative to what is out there.......
Something different from the mainstream
country that is forced down our throats.
Apparently, there are a ton of artists who have great CD's (...and yes, a lot are using psg). Unfortunately, they just can't get airplay. Anybody familiar with a magazine called NO DEPRESSION?? It is dedicated to the "alt-country" scene.
I have heard, and seen bands like The HangDogs, Naked Omaha, Star City, etc.
They have some great recorded stuff (in my opinion, of course) but NO airplay.
If any of you ever get a chance, you should check out No Depression. It contains articles, concert reviews, CD reviews, etc.
And, NO, I do not work for this magazine.
I'm just passing on some info.
Bob Miano
Bergenfield, NJ
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 6:26 am    

Ricky,

Alternative Country is generally what you and I would call Country music while "Country" music is now more like the crappy Rock & Roll that I listened to in the 80's. By the way, Dale Watson is considered "alternative country" in those circles. I think they have got it all backwards! Dale Watson is COUNTRY and the CRAP they play on the radio should be considered alternative.

SCREW THE RADIO!
Dave Alfstad
Indianola, Iowa
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 9:16 am    

Thanks Bob and Dave....I guess that makes since how they come up with that Category...and yes it does seem assbackwards....but then again...many things these days have lost its origin...so I guess this is another....Oh well...we move on how we can....
Ricky
Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 10:17 am    

Are these alt. country acts as good now as Ray Price and the Cherokee Cowboys were?
Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 10:23 am    

"alt" is a pretty awkward way to title anything- I think that is why folks are gravitating to "Americana" as a name. The style spread between the Meat Puppets and Dale Watson is a pretty big stretch, but both could be considered alt. country. I'm glad that Americana is growing in usage. Jerry Douglas and Bela Fleck are also Americana artists. It is a more diverse expression of American music that has a certain spirit, that has gone in search of a format. I think that it stands a chance because of things like satelite radio, which do best when they can offer diverse content. Most regional stations won't take a chance on anything that strays from their advertising demographic.
If I'm not misaken, Eric Heywood played steel with Son Volt and a lot of the great early bands of the movement. I've heard that he has moved out to the west coast.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 11:33 am    

The "Americana" label tends to include folk-rock as well as country, in my mind. I play now and then with Solid Air, who bill themselves as Americana. They play great music and they can sound country when they want to, but the basic sound is similar to Dylan, Mellencamp, etc.

I sort of like the alt.country label. If today's country is Top 40, then alt.country is Back 40.

Since this topic is more about "Music" than "Pedal Steel", I'm moving it to the "Music" section of the Forum.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)