| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Millineum
Jim West

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 6:24 am    

I did not go to the show but I heard the new MSA Millineum steel made its debut. Did any of you attendees play it and if so what are your comments.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 7:53 am    

I didn't play one but took a pretty close look at the guitars. Typical excellent MSA quality of mechanics and looks. The pulling mechanisms and reversing knee levers are very similar to the old MSA's, updated to square cross shafts and slotted pullers.

The entire undercarriage can be removed from the guitar after removing all the pull rods. The cross shafts are all mounted in two long pieces of angle aluminum, which I think would help cabinet drop on any guitar. The undercarriage is assembled outside of the guitar, then installed as a unit. As such, the only way to move or remove a cross shaft is to remove the entire undercarriage. New pedal and knee lever kits will be "hinged" so they can be installed without removing anything.

The peghead is unique in that they use different length tuning key shafts so the strings pull straight over the nut rollers.

I especially liked the carbon fiber legs. To me that seemed to make the biggest reduction in weight as they were feather light. I didn't get to heft a pedal bar, but since it is also made of the same material, it would surely reduce the weight a lot as well.

There weren't any scales available to weigh the guitar, but it really didn't feel that much lighter to me than other guitars at the show. I would have liked to be able to weigh the new MSA and some others set up the same side by side.
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 3:47 pm    

I had a close look at these fine guitars. It's a 28 pounder folks! I couldn't believe the weight myself. I can't remember what the body is made of but it wasn't wood I don't think. I didn't get to play one because there were no amps to try one out there. It was clearly the best looking guitar I'd ever seen with some really great features like the pick-ups that will simply slide out for a quick change if you want to. Talk about a tone change, you could really get it like that! I liked the looks and the features but would liked to have played it. About $6000 for an 8/5 guitar.

[This message was edited by Frank Parish on 04 September 2002 at 02:56 PM.]

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 6:54 pm    

Frank,
You are correct. The new MSA Millennium retails for $5995.
That's a D-10 with 8 and 5, worth every cent.
I had the distinct honor of playing a Millennium in the MSA suite and was quite taken with the instrument. Zero cabinet deflection and tone as wide as the mighty Mississip, not to mention its prestigious and elegant appearance. The Team Millennium fellows have outdone themselves.
T.W.

[This message was edited by Tommy White on 04 September 2002 at 08:20 PM.]

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 8:10 pm    

If Tommy says it's a babe, then it's a BABE. Way to go, Reece!!
Jim West

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 8:41 pm    

Wow! A Tommy White endorsement! Space age steels here we come!

[This message was edited by Jim West on 03 September 2002 at 09:42 PM.]

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 9:33 pm    

That's just like Reece to come up with a first class steel but then he's always been that kind of classy guy and player.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 9:43 pm    

Moved to 'Pedal Steel' section of forum.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 8:04 pm    

I have known Reece for 34 years. You are right, Gary, He always goes First Class and he is a first class musician!...al
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 9:51 pm    

I had the pleasure of playing the new MSA and found it to be a great sounding and great playing guitar. No flex in the body at all, and the guitar has a great "bite" past the 12th fret on the E9th neck. The C6 is full and and the guitar has great sustain on both necks. As all MSA guitars, this one is mechanically perfect. Looks good, plays good. Maurice, you done good. I don't profess to be anywhere near the player Tommy White is, but I'm in my 58th year of playing and I agree with Tommy on this guitar. Jody.
Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 2:44 am    

So, did anybody buy one? Just curious.
Dave Horner

Heath, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 6:09 am    

Jody,

It is not necessary to be as good as Tommy to enjoy a quality instrument and to give your opinion about it. Relatively few people will ever approach Tommy's level of skill and proficiency. MSA very much appreciates your inputs and values the opinions of players of every skill level. Your post representing a base of almost six full decades of playing is a fine endorsement indeed.

Dave

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 4:42 pm    

Quote:
So, did anybody buy one? Just curious.

and...from another thread...

Quote:
The MSAs I saw had SOLD tags on them.

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 4:30 am    

Yeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwww!
I wonder if Tommy White was one of the buyers?
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 2:19 am    

Most of you know that I am not one to openly endorse every guitar that comes along. I have been playing Zumsteel for 23 years, long before most folks ever heard of them. I plan to continue my relationship with Zumsteel as well as play my other guitars (Sho-Bud, MCI, Fender) as my needs and desires direct me. I must however give credit where credit is due and keep an open mind. Thats my disclaimer, now to the good stuff.

Joan and I had the pleasure of test driving the new MSA Millinium. The guitar is definatly not you Dads old Buick. It is a fresh new approach to pedal steel. It has a sound all it's own that is wonderful. The guitar plays great, has zero cabinet drop(without the use of a tuneable crowbar). And what a fresh new look. Reece, Kyle, Jerry and Dave rolled out the red carpet for many of us in St. Louis. Reece has been a friend for a few years and is always so kind. The rest of the MSA staff are true gentlemen and professionals. This is a first class company with a first class instrument. Thanks to you all for your hospitality.
Johnny Cox

[This message was edited by Johnny Cox on 07 September 2002 at 03:24 AM.]

[This message was edited by Johnny Cox on 07 September 2002 at 03:59 AM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 7:44 am    

Quote:
"It has a sound all it's own that is wonderful"

Could you possible describe sound?

(something like: rich, full, bright, compared to a ...)

I only got to see them, and agree they are beautiful.

Thanks for the comments.
Johnny Cox

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 8:40 am    

Joey, I would hesitate to compare the Millenium to anything. It is warm, sweet and clear. The one I played did not have the pick up that I am used to hearing but I did play it through a Nashville 1000 amp that I am familiar with. The only comparison I might use is that it has a sound that makes me think a Sho-Bud married an Emmons and had a baby. The child has it's parents traits but is definately it's own person.

Johnny
Dave Horner

Heath, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 8:50 am    

Johnny,

Thank you very much for evaluating and commenting on the new Millennium. We were so pleased that top caliber people and great players like you and Joan visited the MSA suite and took your time to "test drive" the instrument. Everyone at MSA greatly appreciated your analysis and inputs. In addition, I must say that your facility in sitting down to a pedal steel tuned very differently from your set-up and in a matter of a few seconds assimilating the differences and playing it as though you had played it "forever," is simply amazing. Thank you again for all of your nice comments.

Dave
Dave Horner

Heath, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 10:10 am    

Tommy,

Anyone reading this thread and no other might wonder why MSA had not expressed appreciation for your kind comments about the Millennium on this thread. Needless to say, and as you know, everyone at MSA was thrilled that you commented so favorably and I made mention of that on another current thread. I have copied the essence of those comments below
to again express the feelings and gratitude of Team Millennium:
I can tell you with absolute certainty that everyone associated with MSA is both honored and ecstatic that a top professional talent of the stature of Tommy White, who is every bit as fine a man as he is talented, took his time to play the Millennium and make such nice comments about it.

Dave

Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 10:31 am    

Re: Dave Horner
Dave, I only live about 280 miles from Dallas, and I'm not above driving that
far to see a good steel. Do you presently
have a showroom or a demonstrator model
to show people who didn't have the opportunity to go to St. Louis?
W.C.
Dave Horner

Heath, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 12:01 pm    

Wayne,

Of course we can accommodate you. If you would like to email me with your phone number, one of us will call you and we can arrange an introduction to the Millennium for you. Thank you for asking.

Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Horner on 07 September 2002 at 01:06 PM.]

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 12:34 pm    

Wayne.....I'll do my best to be at the factory when you come, I would enjoy meeting you.

[This message was edited by Reece Anderson on 07 September 2002 at 01:36 PM.]

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 12:51 pm    

...And that is why someday, I WILL have another MSA.

[This message was edited by Rex Thomas on 07 September 2002 at 01:53 PM.]

Jim West

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 1:22 pm    

What's the ETA on the S-12?
Johnny Cox

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 2:01 pm    

Dave, you are very welcome and I want to thank you, Jerry, Kyle and Reece again for the hosptality. I also want you to understand that my little disclaimer is not intended for anyone at MSA, but is there for those folks who still think there is some unwritten law that steel players can only own one brand of guitar. I wish that I could afford to have one of everything. Since I can't then I will try to have a few of the very best. I do think that the Millenium is well on it's way to being amoung the top pedal steel guitars of our time.

Johnny