| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Re-Education of Tony
Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 6:00 am    

About two and a half weeks ago, I started a blog on Tumblr about what I call my musical re-education. For the next year, I plan on (a) cutting down on guitar and tenor banjo gigs and (b) really focusing on improving on those instruments as well as learning 8-string lap steel. I'm calling this process a re-education because I'm rethinking a lot of what I've taken for granted for a long time in terms of practicing, listening, strings, picks . . . . everything. The blog is a scrapbook of what I'm doing to get better. There isn't a preconceived design to the blog. Whenever something pops in my head, I write it down. It's all pretty much spontaneous, and the vast majority of it is done on the go on my phone. Like I said, I've been doing this for about two and a half weeks, and I'm up to about 70 posts already. I'd love you to follow the thing--I have only two followers so far--if you would like to do so.

The title of the blog is The Re-Education of Tony. My user name is super400. I hope you enjoy it. I've really enjoyed doing it so far. It features audio clips, video clips, text essays, photos and more. Please let me know what you think of it. Here's the link:

http://super400.tumblr.com/

Sincerely
Tony L.

P.S. One thing I don't like about this blog is that the first thing the reader sees is the most recent post. Many of the posts build on one another, so it would be better if the reader saw the first post first instead of the last. That way, he could go through it sequentially.
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 8:17 am    

enjoyed the posts - funny how we all struggle with the same themes.

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 10:56 am    

oh, i forgot to ad, that is a BEAUTIFUL lap steel - love the retro Bakelite idea

i didnt see any builder info (but i didnt read all the posts) - whats the scoop???

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 11:04 am    

Thanks Jerome. The scoop is this: It was made by my friend Jason Burns. You can see his work at www.burnsrepair.com

It's got a 22.5" scale length. It's all maple with an ebony fretboard. The frets themselves are little strips of maple. The pickup is a Potbelly pickup designed and built by SGF's very own Rick Aiello.
Jerome Hawkes

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 11:23 am    

that is a really hot design - i love it - i dont know that i'd enjoy stringing the slotted headstock, but the design made me sit up and say he!l yeah.
i think a contrasting domed wood insert (linke the org b's) would be a good finale.

lets see...tenor banjo and lap steel - have we taken up the two most extinct instruments left... Whoa!
i feel that way sometimes, although i'm sure tenor banjo is still big in some areas. i dont think you can say that for straight steel (outside of hawaii maybe)

i've played mandolin my entire adult life (20-40) and i totally re-worked my right hand / tremolo about 8 years ago - i was a giging musician and i couldnt play squat for nearly 2 years during all that, but i knew i had to do it - i had reached the point where my faults were locking my right hand up at fast tempos.

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2012 6:51 pm    

Thanks, I love this steel. To me, it sounds, feels and looks great. I think Jason mainly builds 5-string banjos, but if someone asked him to build a steel, he may just build another one. I think to date he has built only two steels, mine and a rectangular one reminiscent of a Remington Steelmaster.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2012 7:08 pm    

Tony, thanks for the kind words about me in your blog. I really apopreciate it.

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2012 7:12 pm    

Thanks Mike. I hope it was ok that I used your sound clip. I should have asked first.

Tony L.
Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2012 8:14 am    

I just reread a good bit of my blog, and I want to apologize for the massive amount of typos in the posts. I do the vast majority of the thing on my phone, and I clearly lack phone typing skills. I went back and fixed a bunch of the posts this morning, and I added several new ones today.

Sincerely

Tony L.