| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Posting audio and video clips
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 3:44 am    

I really wish more would do it. It is one of the things that I enjoy most about this community, other than the sharing of knowledge and old stories. Recently, there was a tune of the month thread that went down like a lead balloon, which is a shame. I would have loved to have heard more takes. We get to know each others ideas and thoughts here, but I'm more interested in your musical thoughts than your typing. Laughing

It is really the one communal act that helps us progress as players. When we hear others play, it can inspire us to hear possibilities--those which have been explored and those which haven't. It also gives us an opportunity to get valuable feedback from other players and listeners. Sometimes clips are not met with a ton of enthusiasm--is this any different from real life? It's all part of the process. I would hope that in the future there would be a little more constructive criticism rather than dismissals.

I've been posting clips for quite a long time; frankly, some were not even ready for prime time. There are many members here whom I've "known" for years and never heard a single note of their playing. That's regrettable, but that's their choice.

You don't have to be a pro to post clips, let's get that out of the way. It's a great way to challenge yourself and also mark your progress. I hope some of you will consider this.

Even though the steel guitar is an instrument with rich traditions, there is a lot of room for the instrument's growth. There will always be those whose tastes are steeped in these traditions, and those who are not in any way. There's room for everyone.

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 6:17 am    

Good topic ...

I can understand why folks don't post their playing here ...

I have been castigated by the best ( literally) Laughing ... But with the intention of helping me progress, though I wouldn't have called it constructive criticism ... Laughing

But I asked for that ... And appreciated every word ...

Here on the Forum ... I've cherished some comments on my playing ... From folks who I respect and admire .... even from a few folks who I never seem to see things "eye-to-eye" on.

On the other hand ...

I've also also experienced a range of comments on my playing ... from passive aggressive "complements" ... To down right rude lambasting ...

But the worst are unsolicited critiques that come from people who you have never heard a " lick" from ...

Everybody likes alittle external validation ... But seeking it can be a real "Catch 22" ...

I feel lucky in having caught a few descent performances that "pleased me" on video ... They are on my website ... Mr. Green
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 6:23 am    

In Jazz guitar forums and such, people will respond to such criticism with, "Where can we hear some of your clips?"

I don't necessarily agree that a person has to display his or her credentials to make a comment, but if one is going to offer up a negative comment, he should be prepared to put his own playing on the line for others to consider. Only seems fair.

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 7:59 am    

Mike, what exactly does it take to post a video on the Forum. I've wanted to try it but have no idea on what's needed, equipment wise or computer wise........JH in Va.

NJ
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 8:16 am    

Jerry, I think most people just transfer video from the camera to their computer and from there upload it to a YouTube account, unless they want to do some editing beforehand, in which case they'd edit it with whichever program they use. To do that, you'd either need to have a USB (probably USB 2 or 3) or Firewire card. I have a card with both.

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 9:30 am    

You know, I have thought about this. The problem is, I am really not a very good player yet. I have never been a professional musician and I don't have the time to devote to lap steel that I would like to. So, it can be a little intimidating when I hear people going on about how much dedication it takes and how much time and pushing the frontiers of lap steel playing. I agree with all that but I get a chance to play about an hour a week, if that. I enjoy it but I don't think I am ready to display my meager efforts at this time. I do enjoy hearing and watching the clips posted, most of them just show me how very far I have to go.
Brian Hunter

Indianapolis
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 9:57 am    

I have been working with the guitar player of my band to get our demos mixed. Should be done by next month with our work schedules. Will be posting a song or two then.

NJ
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 9:58 am    

John, I can understand your hesitation.

They say in order to master something, you need to spend 10,000 hours doing it. In your case (1 hr./wk) that amounts to about 192 years!

Sometimes you just have to jump into the fire. It is the best motivation for learning how to play--that and the fear of failure.

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 11:11 am    

I had hoped the Tune of the Month project would get some participation along these lines. I learned a lot from that effort – from my own strengths / weaknesses, not to mention the ideas of other participants. Maybe people worked on it in private and learned something – I mean, I can see being timid about posting things. I would never, for instance, post my jazz playing on a “legit” jazz forum…but that’s how you learn. Its like Jerry Byrd use to say, you cant catch any fish if your bait is not in the water. What that means is you have to put the steel bar on the strings and get with the program.

I’m beginning to think the steel guitar is a mid-life crisis type instrument, meaning there are a lot of new adult players who are really fired up and enthusiastic about it, but are sort of lost as to the dedication it requires. To play the steel guitar well, is really not a “side” or 3-4th instrument you play. …but, “adult” responsibilities don’t really allow for much dedication to time-intensive endeavors. So, we end up taking the path of least resistance, wasting a lot of time and mental effort on things that dont progress our playing when we do actually get to sit down and play.

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 1:42 pm    

I've posted a lot of tunes over the years that were definitely NOT ready for prime time but people have often offered helpful comments and given fair and helpful criticisms. And little bit of praise is very encouraging for a duffer. Having taste and a good ear I know full well when something I posted that's not very good but when nobody comments it feels a bit like a collective decision that "this must really, really suck!"
Bill Brunt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 2:20 pm    

Yes. Good topic.

I think I would rather sing the Star Spangled Banner acapella at the 7th game of the world series than post a steel song. (and I know I can't sing)

Maybe that is the difference. I don't care that I can't sing, but would really like to be able to play well.
I know someday I will, if I live long enough.
...but with my CRS Disorder (Can't Remember Sh**), it is certainly a slog.

It is true that when those of you who can play, post your songs, the rest of us are inspired.

Maybe we should have a "Beginner's Corner".
Dan Simard

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 2:56 pm    

Personally, I've been a victim of useless unconstructive criticism from some people here. But now that my reputation is set as "almost the worst steel player in history", I'm ready to post in the "Tune of the month" thread!

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 4:00 pm    

Dan - that was a ruff welcome you got and I admire you for brushing it aside and plowing forward. Nobody who picks up this instrument figures it out on their own - (ex maybe bob koefer). I feel the best way to learn is sometimes a blunt critique - get Rick to tell his Jerry Byrd "tune evaluation" story. It's classic Jerry who supposedly never gave any gold stars for a good attempt.

I was thinking recently that it's a shame for those of us learning today that there are hardly any (non-pedal) "masters" left to actually give good honest critique. I know there may be some in the Hawaiian genre, but all we have now are each others ears and input to move us forward.

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 4:01 pm    

Sound bite reposted here:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=230309

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Last edited by Carl Mesrobian on 20 Jul 2012 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 4:17 pm    

Mike, I posted a video on Facebook using my "Guya D8" and a SGF member posted the commented that my Jap plank sounded like a Jap plank. I removed the thread within two hours and the Facebook recording vanished just as fast.

For your info, two posters commented that the “Fender” sounded so sweet and another called it “Fender” made ear candy. The other eight posters thought it sounded like a pedal steel.

It only takes one or two flies to ruin the pudding. There will be no more video postings from this end.
Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 5:29 pm    

It's too bad there are always going to be idiots out there posting dumb comments and really too bad they ruin your enthusiasm - try to stay at your level and ignore the turkeys! Social Darwinism will take care of them. I've run into some "people on a mission" on the Forum, and just let them rant on without confrontation. I'm sure more good people than bad want to hear your music Very Happy Gosh, if I felt that way about some of the drivers on the road I'd be walking everywhere .. not going to happen! Post your stuff, Man!

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 1:29 pm    

I am who I am and do what I do. Good thread Mike. Just posted a clip in this catagory. I am a newbie but I love it!! Have a look. Smile
Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2012 7:35 pm    

I've found posting to be fairly ungratifying so far.
Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 4:38 am    

I'm a new player and willing to give "Tune of the month" a try. At least a month gives time to learn the piece and polish it up a little.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 7:08 am    

Mike, I think this thread has been very productive so far. We've seen and heard three or four new videos/audios from members in the past few days. I really enjoy watching and hearing the players. Especially the new players who are showing progress. They are the future of this instrument.

As far as the tune of the month club... it may have worked better if the song(s) were easier and more familiar. For example, the "Cold Cold Heart" thread of a few years back... about a dozen or more members submitted clips of their playing and that thread went on for months. Most steel players know Cold Cold Heart and can play it in their sleep. "Anytime" may not be as easy or familiar to some of the members here. Just my take on it.
Jerome Hawkes

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 9:02 am    

per the TotM project - i had the idea that tunes which pushed players outside of what they normally would play as one main benefit. not just sayng "oh, i dont care for that song, i'll never play a tune like that" - but seeing it as a progression that needs to be studied. i'm coming from the angle of the player who, as a sideman, sits in with a band/jam and is expected to maybe do a kickoff, some backup and fills and solo over a song they may not "know" - learning how to navigate a std chord progression is essential. to me, after someone learns a 1-4-5, they oughta own it and then move to something with more harmonic movement, etc, etc.

i was happy to see that each player chose a different tuning and key, style, and approach, it was exactly what i had envisioned. i was afraid if we picked a tune like Cold Cold Heart, yes, we'd have 12 people playing it.....in Helms' E13 out of one key just like the record.
i see so many players absolutely petrified to see a non 1-4-5 progression...there is nothing to be afraid of, its all harmony, if the chords move / cycle or if they stay static.

i hope we can start it again with some more input from people of what they want to accomplish from it - i dont want it to sound like it was my idea, its our ideas and a fun learning project.
i've only been in the non pedal section/playing for a little over 2 years, so i dont really have a grasp of what motivation is to participate.

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 9:33 am    

Jerome Hawkes wrote:
i hope we can start it again with some more input from people of what they want to accomplish from it - i dont want it to sound like it was my idea, its our ideas and a fun learning project.
i've only been in the non pedal section/playing for a little over 2 years, so i dont really have a grasp of what motivation is to participate.

No, it's all your fault. Very Happy

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 3:17 pm    

Mike, You're a great contributor to the advancement of we 'learners'. I really appreciate the clips you post & the time & trouble you take to help those of us who struggle to learn.
I went to Soundcloud, or what ever it's called, some months ago, when Kekoa asked me to post some music. The technobabble is rather daunting to some of us old fellers! It was too much for my limited technological inabilities!
As far as Youtube is concerned, I'm not posting on there, with all the rude, ignorant mongrels on it, half of whom wouldn't know a fretboard from a fingerpick.
That said, I enjoy & benefit from the posts you guys place here, and I'll never criticize anyone's playing, 'cos everyone's better than me!
Chris
Dan Simard

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 7:51 pm    

It's getting late for the July "tune of the month" but maybe we could work on the "August tune of the month". What will it be? I want to send some clips....

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2012 2:04 pm    

Here are some clips from my band Go Van Gogh.
James Conn
Chosen Kali Mazel Tov (sorry, I'm a little pitchy in this one)
Cuckoo Clock Strut

More available in the same place.