| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  scratches, wow, flutter
Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 6:39 pm    

Ok, I have a pretty extensive collection of old LP albums that I'd like to make into cd's or MP3's. I have already done quite a few recording on computer from a turntable....but..

A lot of those old lp's are pretty scratchy. Even when I clean the platters pretty well I still get a lot of noise that doesn't belong there. I have tried several "repair" programs that probably are capable of cleaning up the racket if I really understood how to use them. My success is random at best.

My question is this: What is the EASIEST TO USE computer software (windows) to clean up the racket, scratches, wow, flutter, etc., from an old lp record re-recording? Suggestions? Thanks.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 7:54 pm    

Gil, I use lots of products from this company. They are reliable and their stuff works great. I bought their whole turntable-to-usb system (which does much more than just that) and have had great sucess...and it's not cheap stuff! The turntable is a Stanton design...good high quality equipment...and software.

Just look thru all the offerings and you should find what you're looking for. Here's the website...

http://www.dak.com/shop/main.cfm
Dwight Harman

Kingston TN USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 8:13 am     Noise

Gil, you might check this site.

clickrepair.net

I'm always amazed at what this program can do.
Hilton
Walker
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 7:08 pm    

Just remember that ALL of these programs are data-destructive, which means that once processed you cannot go back if you decide after listening that you do not like the results. Be absloutely certain to save a copy of the untreated original before you start hacking bits and bytes out of the datastream so that you can go ahead and try various settings without fear of losing the original data.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2012 10:20 am    

Dave Grafe wrote:
Just remember that ALL of these programs are data-destructive, which means that once processed you cannot go back if you decide after listening that you do not like the results. Be absloutely certain to save a copy of the untreated original before you start hacking bits and bytes out of the datastream so that you can go ahead and try various settings without fear of losing the original data.

Very true, Dave. Of course any digital copy has losses to some extent. But I record the vinyl, after a thorough cleaning, as a .wav file first. Then, using a copy of it, I can tweak it with the software until I'm happy with the results, and still have the original .wav file untouched.

Now if I were a purist, I'd record records to a high quality reel to reel deck first...but I'm not that rich. Sad
Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2012 10:26 am     restoration

after restoration of the disc cleaning and treatement go through the highest
quality converter to the computer you can afford .. I suggest at minimum an Apogee Duet . set to the highest conversion rate. once you have a copy as a wav. file use the click,scratch, rumble or other unwanted noise remover to do its work.
It is very important to get as high a quality conversion as possible first.