| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What builders worked for others...
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 8:18 am    

...before going on to build their own guitars. We all know Paul Franklin Sr. worked at Sho~Bud, then went on to make his own. I know of some others, but I would like to get a good list going from others that really know.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 8:33 am    

Zane Beck worked for Sho~Bud for a time (I think).

Jerry Fessenden worked for ZB for a time.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 8:38 am    

I guess that Jerry Fessenden also worked at Dekley, according to his post in the thread about Bobbe's newsletter and Zumsteel.

Of course, the Late Duane Marrs worked at Sho~Bud before doing the Marrs and later teaming up with Jeff Surratt (don't know if they called it Show Pro yet).
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 10:34 am    

I believe Bud Carter worked for MSA and MCI before starting up Carter and ETS.

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 11:12 am    

Older MSA's will have a sticker under the guitar stating"Inspected & played by Bud Carter"or something to that effect.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 11:31 am    

In 1954 Don Davis, Hank Garland and Shot Jackson were DALAND. Ray Butts made the humbucking pickups.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 12:15 pm     Gene Field came to mind first

Gene Fields worked for Fender then to Sierra and was involved in MCI befire Gene Fields Custom shop which became GFI.

Jerry Fesseden built guitars with Sho-Bud, Dekley, and ZB.

I worked with Chuck Back at Desert Rose

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 1:15 pm    

I learned my trade when I worked for an established, stock exchange listed company of builders 'Bodgit and Scarper ltd'
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 1:25 pm    

and Rich you got your head stuck in pedal rods Very Happy

I have loved that photo since I saw it first.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 1:41 pm    

I remember hearing that Charlie Stepp sold Emmons guitars before building the Derbys.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 2:03 pm    

David and Harry Jackson worked with their dad, Shot Jackson at Sho-Bud and they are now building the Jackson Steel Guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 3:43 pm    

richard burton wrote:
I learned my trade when I worked for an established, stock exchange listed company of builders 'Bodgit and Scarper ltd'

Richard, I thought the company was called "Springs Unlimited" Laughing
Franklin

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 5:50 pm     Re: What builders worked for others...

Richard Sinkler wrote:
...before going on to build their own guitars. We all know Paul Franklin Sr. worked at Sho~Bud, then went on to make his own. I know of some others, but I would like to get a good list going from others that really know.

Richard,

Dad built two guitars for me before moving to Nashville....I believe the first was built in 66 and the second was built in 68. I remember he was always designing things to make steels work and sound better such as the return compensator which was on the 68 guitar.......Technically those are the first Franklin guitars.

He was not hired by Sho-Bud until 1973......Duane was already there and was known as a player / builder. I think its important to know that many of the now legendary builders had their skills together before employment for other companies. Such would be the case with Zane, Gene, and Bud.

Paul
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2012 8:57 am    

Great info guys. Just what I was hoping for.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2012 6:46 am    

I was the plant manager at Dekley in Connecticut and helped design the SlimLine models until 1980. When I moved to Texas I worked part time at MCI and later at GFI.