| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rough Sperzels
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 7:28 am    

When I had this guitar apart, I cleaned up all the machines. I used just a tad of alcohol on Q-tips to dissolve the nicotine stains, nothing real wet just damp. The discs were particularly nasty.

Some of them were stiff to begin with, but now a few of them are really stiff. I don't think I used enough alcohol to dry out the gears, but I was wondering if they can be safely lubed?

I can pull off the knobs and spacers and needle oiler a drop or 2 down thru there. I just strung it up, so I don't want to pull the machines back off. Sperzel is not my favorite machine, but now is not a good time to think about replacing them.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tips?
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 7:38 am    

Jerry,
If the screw that holds the 'button" on is too tight, the tuner will be stiff. You might check that if you havent.
I put a drop or two of Tri-Flo in them when I am cleaning up a guitar or doing a restoration. I have never had a problem.

Good Luck!
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 7:51 am    

Thanks Justin. No, buttons not too tight. MOF, I can loosen them up 'til they fall off...doesn't help.

I guess I'll just have to wait 'til the next string change, pull 'em back off and work on them....or just replace them.

I wonder if the Grover PS210's will fit the thickness of these keyheads?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 11:45 am    

i've seen lots of stiff sperzels. too bad. they look like they should be good tuners.
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 12:04 pm    

Nothing lost by trying to loosen the buttons I guess. The Grovers on my guitars respond well to that.

As far as the Grovers fitting, it seems that James Moorehead did a bunch of research on those, trying to get something that would work on the old Sho~Buds.
Maybe he will pipe up.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 12:58 pm    

FWIW..I got hold of some old Sperzels that were stiff. I took them apart an discovered old hard white grease in the gears. I cleaned this out with mineral spirits and let dry. Then I put some new white grease in there and they worked great.
Sperzels are good but like everything else, they need some maintenance once in a while.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 1:31 pm    

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I know I shoulda taken them apart and maintenanced them when they were off the guitar. I guess I had senior moments and focused too much on the re-assembly.

I normally do that. just recently had some butterfly Klusons and enclosed Mullen machines that I cleaned and lubed, but let this one get past me. Oh Well Thanks all.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2012 2:14 am    

Run them with a drill for a while and that usually loosens/smooths them out. Some of the Sperzel's on my 81 Franklin were tight and not smooth. I replaced them with new Sperzel's about 3 years ago and the new ones are as "smooth as butter". They must have developed better manufacturing over the years.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2012 9:07 am    

Thanks for the tip Jack. Maybe I'll wait 'til I take the strings off before I try that though. Laughing

BTW, I meant no disrespect to Bob Sperzel or the company. You can't build machines for this long without doing something right.

Although it's still in pretty nice shape, this guitar has been around some. It could be partially due to nicotine varnish and maybe a beer or 2 spilled down in there too.
Loren Morehouse

Meadowlands, MN USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2012 6:20 pm    

I had those tuners on my "85" Pro I. Same problem!! Couldn't turn at least three of them!! Took them off and machined it for a mini Grover or Schaller!! Never looked back!! On top of that, whoever installed them stripped the threads. Just one of the many headaches that started!!! Loren.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 1:58 am    

Hmmm....so it's not just me. Sounds like a few of you have seen this.

Yes Loren, I'm considering installing the mini-Grovers at some point. I just like the way they look and I've had good luck with them on several guitars. It would be nice to stay with the stock look of Zum installation but I think the current ones are Schallers. I like the looks of the Grovers better.