| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ? for Steve Stallings
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2002 8:22 am    

Steve, since you have played the Mullen guitars with both aluminum and wood necks, could you compare the sound between them? Do you lose some of the punch and clarity going to the wood necks? Or do you notice any difference?
Thanx, JO

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2002 9:41 am    

Jerry,
It's been several years since I sold my Mullen (aluminum neck) to Steve England.

Possibly it is my imagination but I actually think my new wood neck is a little brighter if anything. possibly it is a change in the pickups? This one is a Royal Precision and the first one was what ever the preceeding model was called. I don't think anything had been sacrificed with the wood necks. I was told that wood necks would not be as clear above the 15th fret, but that is not the case with this guitar.
Both of my Mullen guitars have, or had a characterisitic Mullen sound, which to my ears is very Sho Bud oriented.

I'm thinking about trying one of Jerry Wallaces single coil pups in this guitar, not because of any problems, but because of the buzz I hear about his product.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Emmmons/Mullen/Remington
Evans

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2002 10:19 am    

OK Steve, thanx for the reply. I have located one of these all wood Mullen guitars but it means giving up my mica/alum Mullen to get the bucks to buy it, ergo the query. I'm interested to hear from other Mullen players re: this issue also.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2002 11:47 am    

In an interview with Del Mullen (Steel Guitar World Magazine, Vol 6, Issue 3) he was asked:

Have you always built guitars with aluminum necks?

His answer:

"The first few years all that I built were wood necks. We still build wood necks on request. In my opinion lacquer guitars are a little brighter sounding than micas so I think wood necks are a better choice. The wood neck mellows out the sound slightly. Aluminum necks on a lacquer guitar bring the edge of the sound up almost too much."

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2002 2:43 pm    

Well.... then that makes sense as to why I perceive this guitar as a little brighter. My former Mullen was a mica guitar with aluminum necks.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Emmmons/Mullen/Remington
Evans