| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Day
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2012 7:49 pm    

I just listened to Jimmy Day's album "All Those Years" for the millionth time in 30 years. What soul, expression, tone and interpretation. I also visited www.julianwinston.com
to find an article written by Winnie Winston about Jimmy Day. Let us not forget Jimmy Day.

Last edited by Tommy White on 30 Jun 2012 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2012 8:59 pm    

Jimmy Day was the guy. Sort of a tragic figure. I heard it said that if you put a bucket under Jimmy Day, he'd bleed for you. That's how much personal emotion he put
into his playing. Even Buddy Emmons looked up to him. He gave his life to steel guitar and in the end got very little materialy back. Like some of the other truly great ones. I'm glad that I got a chance to see him play live before he left. Definitely Jimmy Day is an historic figure of pedfal steel guitar.
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2012 9:01 pm    

Tommy,
Glad ya posted on Jimmy.
I never forget Jimmy. As much
as I enjoy the recordings, there
was nothing like his live sets.
He could romp through a rapid
blues or swing tune, then make
a full house at ISGC or Dallas be
as quiet as a church mouse and
put a tear in our eye as he poured
his heart and soul out with a tender
ballad or spiritual. Some of my favorite
musical times have been playing on the
bandstands with him.
~Russ
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 4:54 am    

Russ I got to play bass with Jimmy on two occassions.
Once in Indiana at Bobby Helms July 4th picnic and another time in Florida in the showroom of Larry Self's music store. I guess I was so interested in watching what Jimmy was playing that my bass playing was not as good it should have been. Jimmy in his blunt yet comical way reminded me that I was not his first choice on bass. In Indiana he asked me to take him back to his hotel because he missed the bus (he was with Ernest Tubb at the time).
Both times are treasured memories of Jimmy, his playing and his sense of humor.
Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 5:41 am     Re: Jimmy Day

Tommy White wrote:
I just listened to Jimmy Day's album "All Those Years" for the millionth time in 30 years. What soul, expression, tone and interpretation. I also visited www.julianwinston.com
to find an article written by Winnie Winston about Jimmy Day. Let us not forget Jimmy Day.

Amen Tommy!!
John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 5:55 am    

T.W.,

I stumbled into Joy Fords place on the lake one night and what do I hear but Day sittin there behind his Bud playing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"!

Just a short way into it he popped his 3rd string, brushed it out of the way and finished the set on 9 strings. Pretty impressive!

The Dude had a touch like no one else!
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 6:57 am    

Tommy, my old vinyl copy is so worn you can almost see through it I've played it so much. One of the first works I got when I started playing. Besides listening to his soulful playing for pleasure, I used it a lot for learning how to play.

The great Jimmy Day. Resting in peace.
David Hartley

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 7:42 am     Hi....

For anyone who has this record......look at Jimmy's finger nail on his picking hand on the cover photo.... Was this nail grown and shaped so he could pick with his 3rd finger on his right hand? Somebody must know....I have heard some amazing stories about his career and the things he used to get up too.. And I totally agree, he is a legend, and listed to his work many times in the past, but now, seeing this thread, I might have to get that album out, transfer it to .wav files and put them on the iPad and listen to them songs again..without wearing out the vynil more.
Leland Ogle

Baxter Springs, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 8:19 am    

I saw Jimmy with Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys at Cain's Ballroom in 1980. Little did I know, just one year later I would meet him in St. Louis and spend some time visiting with him. What a picker, but also a real good person. My daughter transferred my album to CD. I think I'll give it a listen now.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 8:23 am    

Yeah, good idea about the transfer, David. I need to do that too.

Interesting observation on the nails. I never noticed that before. I've no idea, but I don't recall ever seeing Jimmy play with his nails. Tommy probably would know.

I enjoyed reading the liner notes by Buddy Emmons again. The movement on "House is not a Home" is classic.
Brian Hunter

Indianapolis
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 12:03 pm    

Ben Lawson wrote:
Russ I got to play bass with Jimmy on two occassions.
Once in Indiana at Bobby Helms July 4th picnic

Ben, where in Indiana?

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 12:15 pm    

I have to say; this was very difficult for me, both emotionally
and mentally. How do you tab such emotion. Jimmy Day was known
for the best "feel" player and it is very hard to write down all
the inflections and emotion, he puts in playing around, and through
the measures of time, and song. As I, and all of Jimmys' family and
friends said our last goodbyes to this wonderful man; "Farewell Party"
played by "Jimmy Day"; was the last song we heard at his funeral.
I did shed tears on that very sad day. And I have to say; tears were
shed today as I listened along and tried to capture the most emotional
steel player in history. I miss you Jimmy Day.
Ricky Davis

Tab:

Farewell party(Jimmy Day)steel break/key of F/E9th pedal steel

(F)                            (Bb)
1.___________|______________|_______________|__________6|
2.___________|______________|_______________|___________|
3.___________|______________|_______________|___________|
4.____6~~~7~~|~8____~10~~8~~|_______________|_______6___|
5._8a_6~a~7a~|~8~a__~10~~8~a|_6~~~8~a___6a~6|_6~~~~____6|
6._8b_6b~~7b~|~8b___________|_6b~~8b____6b~~|_6b~6~_6___|
7.___________|______________|_______________|___________|
8.___________|______________|_6L~~8_________|___________|
9.___________|______________|_______________|___________|
10.__________|______________|_______________|___________|
   (F)                           (F)

1._____________|________________|_______________|__________|
2._____________|________________|_______________|__________|
3._6___________|________________|_______________|__________|
4._6__8~~~~~7R~|~8~~~~__________|_8~~~__~10~~8~~|_________8|
5._6__8a~~~~7a~|~8a~~~__8a~7a~8a|_8~a~__~10~~8~a|_____8~a~~|
6.____8~b~~~7b~|~8b~~~__8b~7b~8b|_8b~~__________|_8b_______|
7._____________|________________|_______________|__________|
8._____________|________________|_______________|_8___8~~~~|
9._____________|________________|_______________|__________|
10.____________|________________|_______________|_8a_______|
                  (D)       (Daug)   (G)

1.________________|________________|_________10______|
2.______8______8~~|________________|_________________|
3._____________8b~|________________|_________________|
4._______________8|______________10|_10~~~~______10~_|
5._8a~~___8a______|_10~~~_10~1/2a~~|_10a~~~______10~a|
6.___8~___8~8b____|_10~~~_10~~~~~~~|_10~b~~______10b~|
7.________________|________________|_________________|
8._8~~~___8_______|_10_____________|_________________|
9.________________|_______10~~~~~~~|_________________|
10._______________|________________|_________________|
     (G7)            (C)                      (G)

1.__________________|______________________|_______________________|
2._8~8~~6_________2_|_1~~~~~__15___________|_______________________|
3.__________________|______________________|_______________________|
4.________3~~__2____|________________15~~~~|_10~~_____10___________|
5._8~8a~6_3~3a_2a_2_|_1~~15~a_15a~15 15~15a|_10a~_____10~a_10a~8a~8|
6._8~8b~6_3~3b_2b_2b|_1b~15b_________15b~~~|_10~b_10b_10b__10b~8b~~|
7.__________________|______________________|_______________________|
8.__________________|______________________|_______________10~~8L~~|
9.__________________|______________________|_______________________|
10._________________|______________________|_______________________|
  (D)          (D7)           (G)

1.___________|_______________|____________|_______________
2._______8___|_______________|____________|_______________
3.___________|_______________|____________|_______________
4.__________8|_____________5~|_3~__3~~~~~~|_______________
5._8~8a~~~~~~|_10~a________5a|____________|_3~~3a~~5a~~6a~
6._8~~~~~~~~~|_10~~___5~5b~~~|_3~__3b~3~3b|_3b~~~~~5b~~6~~
7.___________|_______________|____________|_______________
8._8~~~~~~~~~|_______________|____________|_______________
9.___________|_10~~__________|____________|_______________
10.__________|_______________|_3~__3a~3~3a|_______________

Jimmy Day
January 9, 1934-January 22, 1999
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 1:12 pm    

Brian it was in Mooresville. Bobby used to have picnics every Fourth of July and Jimmy was there. The outside show got rained out and we played in Bobbys little club. That was in '78 if I think.
Jimmy played two songs and it took over 30 minutes.
He played my steel which does not have the Day set up but it didn't seem to matter.
Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 1:12 pm    

Jimmy is my favourite player of them all. Never heard anyone put so much emotions into the steel - and that is what playing the steel is about i guess. Love those eary Willie records with Jimmy on steel.

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 7:42 pm    

Tommy W.; great thread!!!

No one will ever play with the emotion that Jimmy did. A few of the present day 'Cowboys who were fortunate enough to share the stage w/Ray and Jimmy tell me that Jimmy played like he felt....if he was in an up mood he played accordingly. If he was in a sad mood, it was hankie time....and you'd better have a spare. Jimmy is one of the most important steel guitarists in history, imho.
That album; All Those Years...yeahh!! Id never be able to pick a favorite song on it. "When A House Is Not A Home" is s strong contender but each tune on there is just perfect, and its on heavy rotation around here as well.
I loved seeing Jimmy and Pete Wade @ The Bell Cove Club back in the 90's. I turned down alot of weekend gigs to go there and learn.

I dont mean to rattle on here. but I have a great Jimmy story: Nashville used to have a festival called Summer Lights. I got a call to play what we called the "Swing and Shuffle Stage" with some friends, but I was booked elswhere and said that Id get a sub. The contractor asked me who I might call and I said; Jimmy Day. He said; who? I told him; trust me, if he's able to do it you'll be more than satisfied. In retrospect it really was unfair of me to unleash Day on those younger fellows without properly going into who he was Laughing
Anyway, Jimmy was open and took the gig. A few days later he called to thank me and said he'd had a great time both nights. After hanging up with him I called the contractor and was about to ask how it went when he did about 15 minutes on Jimmy and how much he sounded like the original records, LOL!!
But after I realized that he still didnt fully understand who Jimmy was, I simply told him; all those shuffles you sing, Jimmy played on most of them Wink

Love you and miss you lots Jimmy, and thanks much for the soul you put into your playing.
Thanks again Tommy!

MC
Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 7:52 pm    

I am reposting my response to another topic about a player touching you emotional... For me it was Jimmy Day, "I love you so much it hurts"... It was at the Dallas show around 1994-1996? I have never been so moved by anything before or since... Jimmy felt from his heart every note he played. I remember that the bass player was doing such a bad job behind Jimmy that Buddy Emmons took the bass from him and played on the rest of Jimmy's set. I also remember Scotty saying that Jimmy's left foot was connected directly to his heart... He was playing a Blue lacquer Mullen, I ordered one just like it that day.. My son Jeremy was there with his band, his lead singer said really loud, that old guy can really play... I told him, thats John Lennon in the steel world and that he was witnessing greatness... It was incredible! I will never forget it....
Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 4:54 am    

I've never met Jimmy, and I'm not a pro like most of you guys, but kindly permit me to say here that Jimmy Day's playing was probably the biggest influence on me when I was growing up. I probably heard "Steel and Strings" every weekend when my truck-drivin' pop came home from the road. For me, Jimmy is the epitome of the PSG sound. Of course I couldn't emulate that sound back then on my 6-string Epiphone or my double-8 Fender, and I still can't emulate it on my Pro-II. But that doesn't keep me from trying.

I'm in the process of transferring "Steel and Strings" and "All those Years" and others to CD for my Dad. He said he doesn't need the albums back. Lucky, lucky me!

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 5:51 am     Jimmy Day

When I stared playing steel in the early '70's my old school friend said he had a couple of steel records by his mothers first cousin. They were of course Jimmy's legendary albums. Every listen brought chills up and down my spine and some tears to my eyes. As awesome as Buddy's playing was during those years Jimmy's always grabbed my heart and gave it a big squeeze. Although he went through hard times and made mistakes in his personal life his approach to the instrument was unsurpassed in my mind. I finally got to hear him live and talk with him nearly thirty years later and the chills were still there. A highlite in my life was to be able to thank him personally for what his playing meant to me after "All Those Years".
Thanks for the post Tommy,
Billy Tam
Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 9:01 am    

First of all, Tommy, you've learned very well.
My favorite has already been mentioned, Farewell Party with Johnny Bush. The slight pause in Jimmy's ride was perfect. His tone and emotions made a really great recording.
Mr. Emotion did a truly great job on anything I've ever heard by him.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Ronald Cid

Contrecoeur, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 12:28 pm    

I recently purchased a USB turntable, and it enables one to record in MP3 format old vinyl recordings...so far I have converted 3 albums, All those years, Steel and strings, and the Roger Miller album called A trip in the country, featuring Buddy Emmons.

The other day I plugged the iPhone into the stereo system and played Steel and strings. My girl friend who normally does not like the PSG (She gets to listen to me) stated, "That music is so relaxing and beautiful" She of course is right

That gave me an opportunity to explain the history of Jimmy and his importance to the PSG and we continued to listen to the entire album while relaxing on the back porch deck and watching the boats go by on the St. Lawrence river. A very relaxing moment in time. I then explained to her that one of my close friends on Facebook is Lois Day. All-in-all a good thing. As Tommy so rightly stated in his initial message, soul...soul...soul. Jimmy had it all
Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 12:36 pm    

All those years and A trip in the country are 2 albums I've always wanted but are not digitally avileable anywhere as far as I know. To bad, I've heard so much nice about them but can not buy them.

Nashville
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 1:31 pm    

Tore,
I believe Mr. Scotty at Scotty's Music in St. Louis may have those recordings or might be able to get them. Which sparks the idea that, someone should take on the task of re-releasing those great recordings again on CD! Scotty?
Mike Cass,
You're a jewel. Near and dear to me brother.
Russ,
Thank you for chiming in and sharing your JD moments. You've always displayed such a kind spirit with superb musicianship. Hopefully, we will get to play together again some day.
Ricky,
So nice and thoughtful of you to post the tab..,and it's good! Yes, Day touched all of us.
John Drury,
Long time no see! I had the pleasure of hearing Day play that selection by himself so many years ago too. His raw, yet feeling rendetionput a lump in my throat.
Thank all you fellas' for aknowledging a thread about Jimmy Day!

Last edited by Tommy White on 2 Oct 2015 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 2:28 pm    

Tore Blestrud wrote:
All those years and A trip in the country are 2 albums I've always wanted but are not digitally avileable anywhere as far as I know. To bad, I've heard so much nice about them but can not buy them.

I don't care for cassette tapes and avoid them. However, in this case I made an exception and bought All Those Years from SGF. This is by a wide margin my favorite steel album.

The beginning of My Shoes Keep Walking Back to You always makes me smile because Jimmy starts in the background with a soft downward glissando. Whether the bar was in the wrong position or he did it on purpose I don't know. Either way it sure is cool!
Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2012 10:53 am    

I sent Scotty a mail regarding the album, here is the reply:

"I produced the “All Those Years” recording on Jimmy and sold the rights to him. He lost the masters and then passed away."

Sad

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2012 1:31 pm    

what a wonderful tribute. thanx guys.
just wanted to add my .02c worth to the worlds greatest steel guitar player; thank you so much jimmy for being our friend for so many years. so many memories, so much fun with you & marilyn.
lovya bro! bruce & lynn