| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  55 and alive!
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2012 10:14 pm    

Well guys, it's been a long road since I first started trying to play one of BE's 66' p/p's in 1971. Today is birthday #55 here in 2012. I'm devoted to the steel guitar, as much, if not more now. I still enjoy pickin' and hugging the grannies at places where I pick. As I've gotten older, there's one thing that really gets under my skin. I don't like someone playing on top of me whenever I'm playing a fill or backing a singer. I just stop playing and put my hands together and take a little break while resting on the guitar. If a lead man wants to play that bad, I'll just let him, without the steel! I don't really care! I'd rather pick at a steel show anyway and not have to put up with such crap. To me, a real player knows when not to play and certainly doesn't play on top of others. Guess I'm just gettin' older! Ha! I appreciate all of you guys/gals for everything you do for our little world of STEEL GUITAR. Thanks and have a great day.
Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2012 10:55 pm    

Happy Birthday to You.

I can relate to what you're saying. I remember playing a town picnic, and my front man/lead guitar player saying "Take it Lynn", and he immediately proceeded to take the lead. Go figure.

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2012 3:41 am    

Happy birthday.......55.....I seem to remember that. Folks playing over you is a common complaint. No matter the instrument, guitar, steel guitar, banjer, fiddle, harmonica, etc, a lot of pickers can't play well with others or figgure out where the "halfway" point is and walk into your territory. I too usually just let'em blaze on as it sounds funky to have to try and wrench a hole to pick in. I especially like the pickers who can't do intro's, but once the tune is rolling they wanna "do it all" and show off their great talent that has gone so long unrecognized.... Laughing
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2012 4:54 am    

I agree with you Billy, I think the worst spot is at a jam session. There is always one person that thinks everyone is waiting for his 30 minute guitar solo, the only thing worse is a 20 minute drum solo. I have find the more accomplished the musician, the more courteous they tend to be. Smile
Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2012 7:25 pm    

Happy Birthday Billy !!!!! Looking forward to seeing you in Gulfport in November.
...Roy
Billy Carr

Post  Posted 24 Jun 2012 7:55 pm     Rr

Hey Roy, great to hear from you. Looking forward to seeing you and all of the other guys in November at Bill's show. Thanks buddy and have a great day.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 5:45 am    

Happy belated Birthday to you Billy Mr. Green

just keep on goin' if yer sure yer right Winking
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 2:29 pm    

Billy,Understand compleatly,worked with some guys awhilw back,the band leader would let his friend [a half-sssed] harmonica player sit in.Talk about a set of lungs on this guy[plus a HOT mike] He could play on a five minute song without taking a breath.NEVER,NEVER,NEVER, taking that damn thing away from his lips.Over the intro,the vocals,and the loudest one on stage,He knew ONE solo,he would play it fast on an uptempo tune or slow on a ballard.I tried to explain to him that every one was supposed to take turns,That was like telling 19 year old newly weds not to have sex on their honeymoon.By the way about one and a half nights of this was all I could handle.YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Nebraska
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 5:47 pm    

Speak up young man, Life's too short to let the lead man have all the cake! Shocked

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 7:46 pm    

happy birthday, billy boy, billy boy
happy,happy birthday charmin' billy....
he'd rather play a steel guitar...
than to drive a fancey car
and some folks seem to think that's kind'a silly...
burma shave

i had one myself last week and if it makes you feel any better.... i think i'm a lot older than you!
but, if i can pick w/you again i promise that i won't walk all over you, no-siree...i won't even plug-in my instrument....
he's a pickin' and i'm a grinnin'
country jack.....
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 8:50 pm    

Happy birthday Billy, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 10:11 pm    

Happy belated birthday Billy....hope you had a good one........tell Glenda "howdy", and give her a big smooch.....It does make for a crappy gig when you have to put up with anyone playing over the top. I'm so glad the band I play with most of the time has a lead man who also plays steel and knows when to play, and is really good at it, too.
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2012 6:36 am    

I knew I was in trouble when the lead guitar player said: "I can't stop playing because if I stop I won't know how to get back in."
Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2012 9:01 am    

Happy belated birthday Billy!I just saw this today.You're just a pup!I turned 60 last month.I hope you're doing well and I look forward to maybe seeing and hearing you play at Fulton and Gulfport.

Maybe you and Jim Parker can get me refocused on the psg.Lately I've backslided to the 5 string,of which I'm much more proficient.My grandchildren are taking most of my free time,which I don't regret.

Tell Glenda I said hello.

Andy,stuck in music hell
Wendell Gurley

CARROLLTON, GEORGIA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2012 2:24 pm    

Sorry to be late also Billy, but a happy belated birthday to you!! I am not a steel player as you know, but I run into somewhat the same problem with people "trying" to sing harmony with me at steel shows--UNINVITED!! I love harmony singers, but I want to ask someone to join me, not just jump in and start singing and usually trying to sing the lead part!!! I'm going to start just quit singing and let them have at it!! Didn't mean to vent on this , but it's the best chance I've ever gotten!!! LOL Hey, looking forward to seeing you and Glenda at Fulton and Gulfport. Till then---
Billy Carr

Post  Posted 27 Jun 2012 9:13 pm     psg

Thanks guys. We consider each one you as family. We love all of you guys and look forward to pickin' and grinnin' again with everybody. Hey Andy, use a banjo roll with strings 2,3 & 4 with the G# to A pedal. Thumb and middle finger. Kill two birds with one stone! See you guys later!
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 8:51 am    

Quote by Billy: " As I've gotten older, there's one thing that really gets under my skin. I don't like someone playing on top of me whenever I'm playing a fill or backing a singer. I just stop playing and put my hands together and take a little break while resting on the guitar."

Billy I can relate to that. I once worked with a guitar player who found the perfect solution for a young fiddle player who jumped-in on the pretty phrases, but laid out on the bread and butter stuff. All of you working musicians know this guy, regardless of what instrument he plays.

Once after numerous offenses, our guitar player told him............"When you put that fiddle under your chin while someone else is playing, you've got the rest of it.".....and everyone else folded their hands and stopped playing.

It was a desperate solution but it worked. This guy played well, but had never learned when to "play", or when "not to play", but he subsequently became an asset to the band.