| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jackson Blackjack Custom opinions/experiences please!
Claire Winter

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2012 8:23 am    

After a 20+ year hiatus from PSG, I'm diving back in and replacing my lovely old Sierra 2 raise/lower with a new guitar. I've done a TON of research on line but nothing speaks like the experience of users.

In the final running are the Jackson Blackjack Custom, Williams, and GFI. I'm partial to the wood models and the recordings on the Jackson site get me going. Plus the changer design, The Edge system, I find innovative. I'm very mechanically capable and would like to know how the Jackson stands up to copedent changes, tuning stability, etc.

Thanks very much for any comments on Jackson; I've read much favorable about GFI but am not fond of the looks (yeah I know . . . not a good reason). Williams has not emailed back but seems a solid choice too. The keyless system intrigues me (not available on Jacksons) but that's another topic! Thanks!
Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2012 8:40 am    

You wont be sorry with the Williams.
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2012 8:49 am    

I tried out a Blackjack once. It's a fine guitar. But then, so are the other 2.

You really can't go wrong with any new pedal steel guitar today. Of course, human nature being what it is, everybody here is going to tell you to get what they play. (I'm partial to MSA myself,) but the bottom line is that EVERYBODY makes outstanding steels these days.

I suggest that you attend the convention, and try out all the different brands and see which one you like the most. You may decide you want something other than the 3 you mentioned.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2012 9:24 am    

If you don't like the looks of the steel, you'll regret buying it. Playing steel is far from a logical endeavor in the first place. There's a bit of art involved. You will enjoy the total experience of playing more if you are comfortable with the appearance of your instrument.

You have plenty of other good choices. Don't buy a steel you consider ugly, or too bland, or too garish, or too ...!