| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  msa older guitars??
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2012 9:06 am    

wanted to know from guy's who play older msa "mica" guitars. what pickups do you have in the guitar and what .ohms. i am working on a older msa with supersustain pickups which don't sound to great.
so i what to put in differnt pickups? what do you all have??

thanks
p.w[/quote]
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2012 9:31 am    

I had the stock pre-Super Sustain in one. It sounded pretty darn good.
Although my right hand is awful bright.
I'd started to talk about my 12, but it's a lacquer.
Chris Johnson

USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2012 2:42 pm    

They do sound pretty good when adjusted right. I ended up putting them back in after some time with both the 12-1 and XR-16. The pre-SS single coils sound great.

I find that they sound best as close to the strings as possible as the pickup's magnets are basically dummies. The real magnets for the SS-II are underneath the winding stuck onto the metal poles just above the clear bottom plate. I never noticed it until Jerry Wallace pointed it out to me while rewinding the pickup.

Try adjusting the SS-II as close to the strings as possible without them touching. It made a big difference in my MSA.

If he still doesn't like it, I would recommend a Truetone somewhere around 17.5
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2012 6:21 pm    

Paul, the old Classic I got from you sounds great with the old original single coils. In the steel test I did a couple of years ago, most guys thought this guitar sounded like a P/P.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2012 6:30 pm    

Like the rest of the posters here, I've been pretty happy with the original pickups. Both the old single-coils and the super-sustains sound pretty good - through a decent amp.

I used to think that pickups had a lot of variation...that is, until I got a guitar that allowed me to switch pickups in a few seconds. Only after trying 4 or 5 different pickups (and being able to dial in the amp so I could get practically the identical sound out of all of them) did I realize that the differences between pickups are really, really subtle, IMHO.

I find that a good amp gives me far more benefits than any pickup change I might make, but that's just me. Oh Well I do know and respect that there are players out there who claim that a certain guitar "came alive" when all they did was change a pickup. All I would suggest is that if you ever decide to change your pickup that you record your guitar both before and after you change the pickup, and then see if anyone else can hear a difference.

It might fool 'ya! Winking