| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to Lower a Sierra.
Frank Montmarquet

The North Coast, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2012 8:31 am    

I need to lower my Sierra. Please tell me if I am missing something or what to watch out for.

I need to lower it about 2-3", so my legs can use the LKV and my right hand is at or slightly blow the level of my elbow. Right now my seat is too high.

I have a session with the square legs and round inserts.

The back legs look to be easy, remove the round extensions and drill/tap a new hole for the locking screws. That would allow the extension to slide further into the square leg. Easy to return to previous height.

The front has the pedal bar, not so easy. I will need to cut 2" from the leg, and drill tap 2 new holes for the set screws that hold the extension. To return to the original height I would probably need to make 2 new extensions, easier than getting longer legs. Probably doesn't mater which end I cut, still need to drill/tap 2 holes.

The pedal rods? What is easier / best, cut and re-thread or cut and bend a new hook? Probably Stainless Steel, hard to thread?

thanks, Frank
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2012 9:23 am    

Frank
lowering your Sierra can be done with out much trouble , as for the rods , I would suggest new threads -- stainless is soft and threads easy -- the only warning is be careful on cutting the rods -- its easy to cut to much off -- so lower the guitar first and take good measurements for the rods

good luck
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2012 12:51 pm    

I don't know what model of Sierra you have, but any of the knee levers can be bent to fit correctly.
The LKV on my Session Series Sierra is bent so it goes downward on a 45 deg angle from the attachment point, then straightens out and resides about a half-inch above my left leg.
I'm 5'8" at best. My steel seat is ~19" high.
I don't play with my hands lower than my elbows, so I've never thought of lowering it. Just got the LKV where it needed to be. I used a vice to bend it to the correct shape.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2012 3:09 pm    

You don't want your wrist to either hump or dip where the hand and forearm meet.
Bad ergonomics, leading to carpal tunnel issues.
Frank Montmarquet

The North Coast, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2012 6:36 pm    

I am a little over 5'6", my seat is at 22", that's high as I can go and be comfortable, 21" would be better, as is my knees are much lower than my hips, thighs slope down.

Strings are almost 31" high, that puts my hand higher than my elbow. Previous owner of this guitar was 6'2".
There is 4 1/2" between my knees and the bottom of the guitar. Once the guitar height is adjusted so my hands are comfortable I will then adjust the levers.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2012 11:13 am    

Here is a pic of my left knee cluster, showing how I bent the knee levers to fit.

Here is how my arms hang with regard to Steel height. I like to tip my Steel forward a little, (the back legs are extended longer than the front legs).

Another view:
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 15 Jun 2012 10:05 am    

You can get a pc. of alum. "C" channel & drill & tap holes where applicable, that way you don't need to bend anything & the holes won't show from the front when the addition is removed should you need to.