| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thoughts on speed pick for thumb
Donald Boyajian

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 7:39 am    

Granted I'm a newbie, but I just picked up a few Fred Kelly speed picks, and another called a Slick Pick. I thought they felt pretty pretty good (especially the slick pick), and the tone was definitely different.

Do some people swear by these, rather than, say, a standard dunlop or national thumb pick? Do you notice that your picking is a little faster and cleaner? I didn't necessarily feel that, since I only used them for one night. If there is some real advantage though, I'll stick it out and make the switch.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 8:14 am    

Do a search. These get brought up every once in a while. Some like them, some don't. Pretty much like anything else.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 8:57 am    

I liked the orange and yellow ones that are kinda normal shaped but are a little rounder than normal at the bottom.
I use these for both Steel and Banjo. They sound/feel Lively to me like you can load up some energy behind the pick before/as it springs off the string and hear it ring... not Thudd-ee at all.
I didn't like the wierd shaped white ones that have the ultra flicky thin blade/part in the middle.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 8 Jun 2012 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve Humes

Tampa, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 9:02 am    

I have some of those. I have quite a collection from trying different things over the years. The "Bumblebee" has been a favorite for awhile. Right now I am using a ProPik metal on the thumb.
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 11:11 am    

Don't know what age newbie you are but try them all. Thumb picks are pretty cheap, but you have to have what feel and sounds good on any given day. But, I tend to always come back to either Kelly white or orange picks. If you have a weaker thumb then I think a heavier pick is necessary. Like I said different days, different picks sometimes. Smile Smile

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 5:56 pm    

I've been using the white Speed Picks for 14 years. The only thumb pick I feel comfortable with!!!
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 6:13 pm    

I use the orange Kelly speed pick exclusively. Fred Justice got me started with em and they feel very natural to me.

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 8:44 pm    

Has anyone tried Blue Chip picks? They're kind of pricey but it's the best tone I've experienced from a pick. Question
Bryant Aycock

Pikeville, North Carolina
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 8:49 pm     practice

There are always things to buy. Nothing beats good ole practice. If you think it's the pick, find out which one Doug Jernigan uses and buy one. IMHO!
Steve Humes

Tampa, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2012 1:31 am    

For me and my big thumb it is about comfort, and not having to spend time learning how to heat and shape a pick. I have found the Fred Kelly and ProPik thumb picks to fit that bill, with the ProPiks being better for the size of my thumb.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2012 2:32 am    

I'd offer that for speed, the only thing that matters is that it doesn't get in your way. If your thumbs trip over the strings or you think they might, you got the wrong picks.

If that's not the case, I'd borrow Paul Franklin's axiom: work on thinking the notes quicker; your fingers can retrieve them as fast as you can think them. That little bit opened my eyes right up, and I've found it works for my guitar.
Donald Boyajian

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2012 8:00 am    

Thanks for all the tips. I guess I was just trying different ones out because I was at the store, and I felt like buying some stuff---easy move cause picks are cheap.

I thought I liked my dunlop pick pretty good, since it's all I used (and still like it on banjo) but after a few days on the Fred Kelly, I wouldn't want to go back. I think it's mainly a comfort thing. The dunlop was probably too tight, and pretty darn big. The Fred Kelly feels like nothing is there.

I like the tip about thinking about the notes quicker. I can definitely feel that happening as I start to understand my way around the fretboard better.
Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2012 6:36 pm    

I've used the orange speed picks for steel many years. The older orange speed picks have a longer "pick" on them compared to the newer ones. The longer older ones work for me better.
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 9:01 am    

If you compare the points, I call them shanks, on the speed picks, some are tad bit longer. I prefer shorter shanks because I have a smaller thumb. I also have a conventional thumbpick made by Kelly that I like to use sometimes. ALL of the Fred Kelly picks fit me so comfortable Smile