| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Original S10: your thoughts
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2012 6:32 pm    

Hi folks,

Although I love my Sho-Bud LDG, I have been intrigued by the push-pull Emmons. An old Emmons Original S10 might be up for grabs in my area and I was wondering if I should look into this any further. Unfortunately, I don't know much about it and I haven't seen the guitar for myself. At this point, I'm just looking for general advice or thoughts on these particular instruments.
Walter Bowden

Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2012 6:51 pm    

Hi Alex.
I had an Emmons S10 3 X 4 about 25 years ago I had to sell for money needs and regretted the day I sold it.
I found one almost exactly like it for sale on this forum a couple of years ago and bought it and haven't looked back.

The Emmons S10 P/P has a great tone IMHO and about half the weight of a D10. If you need service on them there are several great Emmons mechanics who are forum members and offer service, advice, etc.

If you can post some pictures of the guitar (the more the better) including the underside you will probably get some valuable advice from Emmons players/fixers here at SGF.

Best wishes, Walter

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2012 11:20 pm    

I've had two of them...........they sound as good (or better) than the D-10's. I just sold one recently only because I can't live w/o the C6th neck.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2012 4:46 am    

Even the Emmons student guitars and "black rock" models sound amazing. Make sure you know what model s10 it is before you buy it though. Pro model S10 Emmons PP's in good condition are going for well over $2000 these days. It's good to have someone look the guitar over that knows old Emmons steels. Rebuilds are often nessisary and can get expensive .

Btw: if you start playing a PP Emmons prepare to fall out of love with your sho bud Smile

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2012 9:50 am    

they're great. my first real steel. if you can't service your own simple s10 you shouldn't be a steel player. there are only a certain amount of parts and no computers.
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2012 6:20 pm    

Thanks guys. I will try and find out more, and I'll be sure to keep you posted when I do. I'm definitely intrigued...
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2012 7:57 pm    

I could go on and on about how much I love my Emmons... I just regret not buying one years ago. The first time I got to play one I said to myself, "this is the best sounding electric instrument I've ever played".
Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2012 8:54 pm     Emmons S-10 3-4

Here is a pic of my Rosewood Emmons S-10 3-4 67 PP S/N #1109-S
Larry

Picture file
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2012 9:06 pm    

I love mine!
Walter Bowden

Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2012 5:19 pm    

Nice looking S10 Larry and I apologize if I drift a bit on this thread, but I'm curious if anyone knows if Emmons S10s were ever built using wraparound or bolt on necks.

Perth, Western Australia,
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2012 6:04 pm    

S10 wood neck, bolt on, and fatback.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 6:43 am    

Walter Bowden wrote:
Nice looking S10 Larry and I apologize if I drift a bit on this thread, but I'm curious if anyone knows if Emmons S10s were ever built using wraparound or bolt on necks.

Walter
There certainly were S-10s made with wraparound necks. I owned one built in 1965 myself and mistakenly parted with it a few years back when I wanted the money for a new bass boat. I later tried to reacquire the guitar but alas, by then it was gone.

That blue lacquer guitar is gorgeous, ain't it? Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Richard Argus

Perth, Western Australia,
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 4:35 pm    

Herb,
Thanks for your kind comments re my S10.

Since the earlier pics were taken, I have changed the tuners, and fitted a Truetone, which improved the tone of a guitar that sounded great even with the original PU.

Richard