| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Should Tele and PSG both sound good?
Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2012 5:58 am    

I hadn't been in my local Guitar Center in about 2 years (I'd almost rather spend the afternoon in Chuckie Cheese)but in looking at their used gear, I saw a Roland JC-90, little brother to the JC-120.
They had a really fair price on it so I bit.
I took it home and plugged in my U-12 Willy and was pleasantly surprised. A-B-ing it with my NV112, the JC-90 was rounder and warmer sounding with slightly less low ends (that would be the 10s).
What was strange to me was that I plugged my Tele in the JC-90 and it sounded great with not even an EQ tweak. I then plugged the Tele into the NV112, no EQ tweak, and it sounded like it was coming through a megaphone.
So my Willy sounded great through both amps but the Tele sounded good only through the JC-90. Why is that???
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2012 7:05 am    

Maybe the NV 112 cirquitry is just TOO clean for Telecaster duty. I have similar experience comparing my NV1000 and my JC-60; the JC-60 works for both (though not quite as good as the NV1000 for steel), but the NV1000 is way too sterile with my Telecaster; really uninspiring. Adding an exciter or a Black Box to the signal chain remedies that, though – that will supply the necessary sparkle.
Tommy Thompson

tampa, fl
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2012 8:49 pm     jc 90

I bought jc 120 in 1984 and a jc 90 in 1995. The jc 120 is great for steel and strat but so is the jc 90. If you think about it, you have more punch because the 90 watts is for one channel and the 120 is 60 watts per channel. I also found that in certain rooms turning the bass to about 900 oclock with mid and treble 1200 oclock gives a less boomy sound,on the jc 90. I a,b, steel and strat into one amp, works great. Foregive me for rattling on. tommytstrat@yahoo.com ps. when I plug strat into a peavey with 15 inch speaker that was given to me It sounds very bland to me.
Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2012 5:14 am    

Per and Tommy - thanks for the thoughts- both are helpful. Now I have complicated matters because I removed the EV12L I had in my NV112 and replaced the original speaker. Now, to my ear, it sounds too mid-rangey all the time. Now the JC-90 is a hands down winner between the two. Good tone is an elusive beast!
BTW - Tommy - I had read that the JC-90 is 40 (not 45) watts per channel and it is stereo like the JC-120. Do they make a mono version? Thanks
fr
Tommy Thompson

tampa, fl
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2012 7:24 am     90

Fred, my jc 90 has 2 inputs one over the other and it's one channel and if you plug into both at same time they will steal from each other. I'll check into the stereo cause I was not aware of it. tommy t.
Tommy Thompson

tampa, fl
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2012 8:48 am     90

I googled jc 90 after owning it for 15 years and realized even tho it is not a 2 channel access amp as my 120 is, each 10 inch speaker is driven by 2 seperate 40 watts amplifiers. I was wrong. tommy t.