| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  string 10 - can't tune the A pedal
Andy Keen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2012 1:18 pm    

Hey folks, I have a 10-string E9th MSA guitar and I can tune all the changes properly except the 10th string.

-I tune the 10th string open and it makes a low B note.
-Then I tune tune the A pedal change so it's a C# note when I press it.
-What happens is now when i play the string open it's super sharp (halfway to a C note!!).

So it's like the change is tied to the open note. I'm guessing something is sticking that needs to be lubed up.

Any ideas? Thanks for looking.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 May 2012 2:34 pm    

Is the nylon tuning nut pulling the finger when the pedal is not pressed? Sounds like "over-tuning". There needs to be some slack. Was this a sudden thing? Did you just change strings with a different gauge?

Turn the guitar over and check to see if the finger is getting hung up (or a rod), or if there is a string ball end stuck in there. See if you can push it back to it's resting position by hand.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 May 2012 2:40 pm    

Right, Richard.
Andy, see the thread just a bit below about tuning a Carter Starter's knee levers.
Boo Miller posted your answer.
A simple procedure. Unless you just changed to a .040, you should have plenty of travel. You're just overtuned.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 May 2012 6:03 pm    

Yes, you have most likely "over-tuned" the nylon nut. Tuning the nylon nuts requires a special procedure that, apparently, a lot of newbies aren't aware of. What you don't want to do is just hold the pedal down and start crankin' on the nut until the string has reached the proper pitch! Push the pedal down, turn the nut a little, and then RELEASE THE PEDAL. Now, take note of whether or not the open (unpedaled) string has changed (either by using a tuner, or by comparing it the the strings immediately above and below). If not, turn the nut a little bit more, but release the pedal again to make sure the strings open tuning is not changing! Do this in small stages rather than cranking on the nut 4 or 5 times while the pedal is held down.

REMEMBER: On an all-pull guitar, tuning the nuts at the endplate should never change the open (unpedaled) string. If it does, then you have a problem that needs correcting if you ever expect to get the guitar back in tune. Sometimes, it simply means back the nut completely out, and start over. Sometimes it means that the string is the wrong guage. And sometimes, it means that something has slipped or moved in the pulling train. One quick check you can make is to turn the guitar over and look closely at the changer. ALL the raise and lower fingers should be in exactly the same position, in a neat little line right against the stop. If one is held slightly off of the stop bar, then that string has a problem! Shocked