| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Disney's Polynesian Luau Floor Show, Orlando, FL
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2012 2:48 pm    

Today I thought I would go online to see what is going on with STEEL GUITAR at the Polynesian Hotel Resort at Disney World near Orlando, where I live. I took this PRINT SCREEN image off a video(put in--Disney Polynesian Hotel Luau--then, scroll down to the topic--"Spirit Of Aloha Dinner At Disney's Polynesian Resort", length 31:45).

The picture is during a song & the steel player is to the right, behind some-kind of cabinet. I could hear bits & peices of steel guitar, sort of faint, in the background. The sound of the steel guitar wasn't out-front like we all would want, but, I'll admit, this sound is off a video camera, so it wouldn't come-out too great. Also, I noticed that the steel player was doubling on standard guitar, now & then. I've been there at times thru the years & I remember the steel players guitars were out-front on stage, to be easily seen by all. We've all heard the complaints here on the forum about people in general, who don't know what the instrument IS, even after SEEING THE STEEL GUITAR IN PLAIN SIGHT! Here, with it being CONCEALED, my feeling is yet another fatal blow to the ever failing legitimacy/reputation/memory of the instrument. I've seen the shows & they are a visual-mind-blowing experience. That's exactly what Disney is wanting to project, but in doing so, it seems that the LIFE of the STEEL GUITAR is being LOST in the SMOTHERING process!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 May 2012 2:58 pm    

The theme parks don't really know or care about the live musicians. At least there is a steel there (if it really is live). Most of the shows at Busch Gardens (Tampa) use canned music. They did have one show (oldies rock show) that did have a live piano in one skit and a live guitar in another skit.
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2012 4:56 pm    

Jack, you are so right about the lack of care--I guess that's my point of this topic! Also, you are right about the fact at least they do HAVE STEEL GUITAR! Knowing that, I may have gone a little over-board on it. As far as I know, it's still live. I'm going to make it a point to see the show sometime soon & give another report.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2012 6:11 pm    

We're kinda left with being glad there's a steel involved at all... bright side!
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2012 6:48 pm    

Dick Sanft had that gig for something like 25 years. He retired a few years ago.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 26 May 2012 6:53 pm    

Ralph Mooney had the Polynesian gig at Disneyland in the 50s. That is, until somebody requested Steel Guitar Rag and he played it.

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2012 11:40 am    

Bob Stone wrote:
Dick Sanft had that gig for something like 25 years. He retired a few years ago.

And Hal Aloma had the gig a few years before Dick Sanft. I believe that was Hal's last gig before he passed.
Terry P. Miller

Vancouver, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2012 4:37 pm    

Dick Sanft was the featured artist at the HSGA convention in Joliet in 2006. His repertoire included not only Hawaiian selections, but several very "jazzy" tunes---an excellent musician.

Bye the way, this years HSGA "Joliet Hawaiian Music Festival" will be held in Joliet,Il on Oct 4, 5 and 6.
The honored guest will be Alan Akaka.
Three days of great music along with instructional seminars on steel guitar, slack key and ukulele. Don't miss it!