| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A New Toy I Got Today
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 May 2012 1:51 pm    

Today I treated myself to a Roland Cube 80 XL. Over the years after my Fender twins, I got the 1st Peavey Session 400 when they first arrived in England. After that was the Session 500 (Great amp, but unhappy back)..then a Peavey Vegas, then a Nashville 112 and Nashville 400, then an Evans 500 Ft 500. I'm talking over a period of 40 years.
I can only sing praises on the Roland. The 80 watts will blow away the Nashville 112. Opinions may vary. I know there has already been several very positive mentions about the Cube amp, but it REALLY is that good. I just use the clean JC 120 setting with a little touch of Plate reverb and a tiny bit of delay. The tone is Superb and clear as a bell and really throws. No more bad backs either as it only weighs in at 36 pounds Smile You players in the States would get a Roland far cheaper than us in U.K.
Treat yourselves guys and gals you deserve it Very Happy

Micky Byrne U.K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkncQNJtlQ0[/b]
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 24 May 2012 1:43 am    

Micky,
I always ask the same question to the 80XL: is it strong enough for the C6th neck?

Thomas
Finbarr O'Sullivan

Glengarriff, Ireland
Post  Posted 24 May 2012 4:24 am    

Hi Micky I have my 80XL about three months and love it. I use the black panel and keep the gain down and it sounds great.Theres so much you can do with that amp. Good luck with it Micky. Finbarr.
Paul Gavic

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2012 4:58 am    

I have been using one for about a year now for steel guitar with a "loud" Country band. Also have a Vibro Sonic. The XL 80 is more directional but stays clean and as loud as the Vibrosonic. Jury is still out on this comparison. Brought it out last night to show some guys I've play guitar with for many years. All Fender enthusiasts. They couldn't believe the guitar tones coming out of the Roland. Really, pretty amazing amp, never thought I would say that about solid state.
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 24 May 2012 7:46 am    

Thanks for the response Guys. Thomas let me assure you that the speaker "WILL" handle it. I play a universal steel and though I just class it as one "BIG" tuning, I still get into the 6th side of things. I don't know what that speaker is, but it certainly delivers the goods. Finbarr..today I tried the Black/face setting like you with just a little gain...what an amazing sound. I'm not interested in the other Modulations as they are distorted sounds catering for the rock players. I have my very old Boss-tone than can dirty things if I need to Very Happy What I like too is the amount of effects built into it..like just tapping that little knob to set the length of delay you like and to see that little green light flashing to the time you desired. All in all it's technical piece of brilliance Roland have come up with, and with over a million sold already, there must be something good there. I never thought I'd go back to a 12 inch speaker after my Nashville 112, but my mind is certainly changed as of yesterday. A few steel players told me to take my rig to a music shop to try the amp first, but I just went ahead and just got it. Too many good reports from steel players for me to ignore. Money well spent Very Happy We all know that Roland build good products...The "Cubes" even the smaller ones certainly deliver Smile

Micky Byrne U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 24 May 2012 10:54 am    

Micky, I own the ZT Club amp which is powerful and lightweight. It handles the C6th well and has nice low end but I miss some treble and brillance.
My last gig I used a NV112 which was nice. I've tried the Cube 40XL in a shop and didn't like it. There are so many good words about the Cube 80XL, I think I order one....
Landon Roberson

Church Hill, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2012 11:57 am    

What settings are you all using with your 80XL. I am getting close to a good sound but I think it likes having a little bit to it to me it just not sound like the sound that I hear from other amps with a 12" speaker.

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 24 May 2012 12:14 pm    

I bought one myself this weekend, partly based on my satisfaction with the Cube 20X, and mostly based on the good reviews the 80XL is getting here.

I took it directly to the theatre where I'm playing guitar in pit for the next few weeks, so I haven't been able to try it with my steel yet. I love it for guitar and expect to be just as happy when I get it home for the steel.

Paid $300 "out the door" direct from the Roland booth at a local vintage guitar show.
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 24 May 2012 2:01 pm    

Thomas, there's plenty of treble and brilliance on that Cube amp...plus on the J-120 settings you have the "Bright" button plus the presence control
Landon, I guess it's trial and error...you have to do some experimenting to get what "YOU" like best. Most steel players use the "Clean" J-120 setting. The treble control at 12 oclock will cut your ears off Smile I guess it's all down to the individual player, The attack, placement of the right hand etc etc etc. And in case you're wondering...NO I don't work for Roland. Just expressing what a lovely "LOUD" amp the 80 XL is with so many great usable features. It's like Roland's designers got together and decided "What does a guitarist really want" and came up with the final package.

Micky Byrne U.K.
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2012 7:11 am    

Yo Mick! I use a couple of NV 112's on the loud gigs but only one for most of the stuff I do. The other night it rattled a little on the C6 so I backed off the bass but sometimes I think I may be pushing them a bit much. It can get pretty loud out there at times and I need something to handle it. I have a Fender Steel King and to me it's the best tone I've heard of any amp including my old Session 400 I had for 26 years! Pretty close but the Fender beats it in reverb. I may have to give the Roland a close look to see just how good it is.
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 28 May 2012 9:08 am    

Hey Frank...good to hear from you. If you have a music store near you, try one of the Cube 80 XL's out. They certainly are "Loud" ... much more than the Nashville112 I had...plus there is more "Bite" and Presence than the Nashville112, even with the treble cranked up.. Most steelers go for the J-120 clean sound "OR" the Black face twin, and as I said earlier they weigh in at on 36 pounds. Go on mate treat yourself Smile

Micky Byrne U.K.
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 28 May 2012 9:11 pm    

I bought a Cube15XL amp from GC about 2 years ago because I loved the clean sounds from it. But I did return it because there was not enough volume from the Clean channel for its intended use. So I believe you when you folks say that the 80XL sounds great.

About the only thing that the solid state amps don't get these days is the power tube distortion and tube rectifier sag, and I'm not sure how desirable those are for steel guitar.

Steve Ahola

P.S. I just dl'd the 80XL manual and it looks like a giant step up from my lowly 15XL.

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 29 May 2012 12:48 am    

Hi Steve..that's the beauty of the Cube 80XL...it's good for the "Rock players" and the Jazz and Country players. With the 10 modulations there's something for everyone. A friend came round last night and he's a megga great guitarist in all syles. He was very impressed in my new toy. The good thing too is the price. I know you guys across the pond can get it cheaper, but even over here we pay £299 pounds for the 80XL ..... We'd have to pay twice that or more for another big named amp with far less features. Best wishes.

Micky Byrne U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 29 May 2012 12:49 am    

Hi Steve..that's the beauty of the Cube 80XL...it's good for the "Rock players" and the Jazz and Country players. With the 10 modulations there's something for everyone. A friend came round last night and he's a megga great guitarist in all syles. He was very impressed in my new toy. The good thing too is the price. I know you guys across the pond can get it cheaper, but even over here we pay £299 pounds for the 80XL ..... We'd have to pay twice that or more for another big named amp with far less features. Best wishes.

Micky Byrne U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2012 2:46 am    

Glad you are liking the Roland Micky. I roll off the highs and turn up the bass and it sounds really good to my ears for pedal steel. It is a phenomenal little amp, and now you know why I wouldn't even look at the Peavey 112 which is twice the price. This thing just blows it out of the water for tone and definition. The bottom strings on C6 are clear and clean at all volume levels.

It is not disgraced next to my Webb 614E amp, and that is saying something. Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2012 3:04 am    

Ken...so glad you chimed in. It surely is a little marvel of an amp. I sold my Evans, but still have my Nashville 400 (Split cab, Neo magnet)...that's here always and won't be sold. I can't see me taking that out though when this little Cube does all I want. We probably use similar settings. This is one amp that is so clear that you don't need much treble or presence. I still cant believe what a tiny little thing like this can kick out. If only this was out years ago there wouldn't be so many players with bad backs. I'm remembering back to the days of lifting my Session 500 to upstairs gigs Confused ...I bet you do too. Nice to see you on here, and in fine fettle after your recent heart attack. Take care.

Cheers Micky Byrne U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2012 3:19 am    

Micky
I go back to a Fender Twin with JBL's. Now that was a back breaker. Even the Session 500 felt light in comparison. The Twin coupled with a D10 ZB gave me regular back problems in my 20's.

I am pleased that your Roland has lived up to expectations. As we know, the Peavey 112 goes very fat and flabby when you push it and loses its definition that it has at low volume. The Roland retains its tone no matter how hard you push it. If you look at the features of both amps there is no comparison. Bang for the buck? The Roland 80XL delivers it in spades.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 2 Jun 2012 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2012 4:42 am    

Ken...I had a Fender twin with JBL's too...I vividly remember a gig in Germany early 70's when while getting the stuff on stage (Twin was on wheels) it tipped over and fell it's whole weight on my "left" foot toes. Instant bruise and days of pain and pedalling. I exchanged my H/H combo with the lead guitarist for the twin on that tour Very Happy ...some of those H/H combo's are still floating around in adverts.

Back to this thread...bang for the buck ?..The Cube of course Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Micky Byrne U.K.
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2012 10:48 am    

Just wondering if anyone has tried a neo in the 80XL to reduce the weight a little bit.

Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2012 1:33 pm    

Laughing Laughing Laughing Funny!!!

Micky Byrne U.K.

Sho-Bud and Carter Universals, Nashville 400 in split cab with a neo magnet. Roland 80XL .. Telecaster Blue flower B-Bender. Ovation shallow body Custom Balladeer. Yamahaha electro-acoustic. hand made Brazilian electro classical....lots of Boss toys...lots of anti rejection pills Winking

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2012 12:24 am    

Not a good idea Steve, you would have to tie a rope to it to stop it floating away Laughing
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2012 1:36 am    

The comedian from New Zealand speaks words of wisdom Laughing

Micky Byrne U.K.
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2012 1:50 am    

I was kinda hoping that it might float all of the way to California... Laughing

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2012 7:13 pm    

Micky has lots of rope laying around he tells me Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2012 12:03 am    

The 80XL has another strength. It it an excellent alternative for those of us who play lead 6 string guitar and steel on gigs. Some amps sound great for one or another but not for both.

Put a Tele or a Strat through the Roland and it comes alive. Something that you will struggle to achieve with a Peavey steel amp. The only other amp that sounds great for both lead and steel is a Fender Twin, and that will mean more weight and cost.